U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 PM

144 posts, read 224,630 times

Advertisements

Usually anything published about Appalachia is not flattering. The 1950's-1960's news articles on the region did nothing to help its already battered image. The 1970's movie Deliverance tarnished the region even further. There are published articles and books about the hardships and prejudice the unemployed eastern Kentucky coal miners faced when they moved to the big midwestern cities to work in the factories. Also the areas highlighted are nearly always in the central and southern Appalachians and showcase the region's poorest regions and is presented as the norm.

Rarely is anything written about life in the coal fields of Pennsylvania or in the southern part of New York state, so I think most people don't think of those regions as being Appalachian. Since most of the media is based outside of the south, I don't think Newsweek or Time would devote an issue to northern Appalachian poverty and hardships. I also have a suspicion most people in Pennsylvania and New England would gawk at an Appalachian identifcaton, but I could be wrong.

But I see what the OP is saying. I would think there would be a common bond up and down the Appalachians. When I travelled to Pennsylvania recently, I felt the same kind of comfort I have back home in the northwest Georgia/northeast Alabama hills. Flat areas make me feel uneasy, like an off balance feel. I could probably feel comfortable anywhere in the Appalachians, but ultimately family is very important to me so I stick close to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 PM

4,110 posts, read 4,765,074 times
I feel the same way. Flatlands make me feel out of place. Gimme those rolling hills.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,031,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
This post reminds me of a time inside a bar in Nashville, Tennessee, while I lived (and still live) in Cattaraugus county, NY which is very rural Appalachian country. The band was playing a song that was, at that time, one of the hot country tunes, and apparently there was a dance move associated with the song that everyone in the bar (except me) was doing. The band leader saw me standing there looking confused and stopped the music and asked "where y'all from?". I thought, sheesh, here we go... "I'm from NY... STATE", knowing that just about anyone outside of NY associates NY with NYC. And yep, the whole bar yells and hollers like I'm a dam yankee from the big city. And yet I live in Appalachia and actually love country (the old stuff) and bluegrass, but just don't care too much for modern country which is pretty vanilla and candy like to me.

Unlike some that associate Appalachia with a certain movie and poverty, I associate it with the blue/green hills and mountains, dense forests, rivers, humidity, fog, wildlife, and independent folks... so like the OP is getting at, yeah I wish there was a better connection from the southern tier of NY to southern Appalachia.
no one from the South would ever say "yall" when referring to just one person. Sorry just had to point that out because a lot of people who don't use "yall" have tried to tell me that it's perfectly acceptable to use it that way.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
no one from the South would ever say "yall" when referring to just one person. Sorry just had to point that out because a lot of people who don't use "yall" have tried to tell me that it's perfectly acceptable to use it that way.
Actually they do. Happens here all of the time.

I've been asked, Ya'll want a coke? When I was the only person they were addressing.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 AM

970 posts, read 1,647,750 times
Yep, I've heard "y'all" directed at me-only, several times... in fact I can even recall (this was in VA, Shanendoah area) the locals several times using "y'all's" to me, as in "is that y'all's car?" and also then "y'alls'" used when directing it to more than 1 person.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:12 AM

^ "Yall" can be said to 1 person, but it's always referring to multiple people. For instance, I can ask 1 person "Where are yall going for dinner?" But I am referring to that person plus the other people they are going to dinner with. If only that one person was going to dinner, I would simply ask "where are you going to dinner?" Saying "yall" in that instance would be ridiculous. They would probably reply back "Yall?.. I'm the only one going to dinner"

Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
^ "Yall" can be said to 1 person, but it's always referring to multiple people. For instance, I can ask 1 person "Where are yall going for dinner?" But I am referring to that person plus the other people they are going to dinner with. If only that one person was going to dinner, I would simply ask "where are you going to dinner?" Saying "yall" in that instance would be ridiculous. They would probably reply back "Yall?.. I'm the only one going to dinner"
Maybe that's just Memphis.

Because here on the bayous everybody is a singular Ya'll.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM

^ hmmm, seems strange as "yall" is a contraction for "you all". If somebody ever said "yall" when referring to only me, I would probably look around and try to figure out who else they were talking to.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
^ hmmm, seems strange as "yall" is a contraction for "you all". If somebody ever said "yall" when referring to only me, I would probably look around and try to figure out who else they were talking to.
I don't think proper grammar comes into play an awful lot. Especially with slang. XD

Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,346,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
And people often forget that Appalachia is only a sub-region of the Appalachians. The Appalachian states include northern NY, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine as well as the "Appalachia" states.
Are you sure about this? Most maps show Appalachia as this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/Appalachian_region_of_United_States.gif/350px-Appalachian_region_of_United_States.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.