U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Are you sure about this? Most maps show Appalachia as this
That's the sub region, "Appalachia" as defined by the ARC.

The Appalachian region as dictated by geography is much larger.
Attached Thumbnails
An Appalachian brotherhood?-greatvalley-map.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
Oh sorry i misread it! I thought you were saying that Northern New York up to Main was Appalachia.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Oh sorry i misread it! I thought you were saying that Northern New York up to Main was Appalachia.
No no. XD

Just that they were, indeed, Appalachian.

The only trouble with that map I have is that it doesn't seem to extend far enough to the west in Kentucky. The Allegheny plateau's hills go all the way out to Indiana.

Other than that, it's an accurate depiction of the American Appalachian region.

And a hard map to find for some reason.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:55 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ hmmm, seems strange as "yall" is a contraction for "you all". If somebody ever said "yall" when referring to only me, I would probably look around and try to figure out who else they were talking to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I don't think proper grammar comes into play an awful lot. Especially with slang. XD
There is nothing ungrammatical about it. Virtually every European language, English included, uses (or has traditionally used) the 2nd person plural to refer to a singular subject in the formal voice.

Think Usted (Spanish), Sie (German), Vous (French) and Ye (English).

Old 12-12-2010, 01:46 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
"yall" is not equivalent to "usted" The equivalent to "yall" in Spanish would be "vosotros" Standard English lacks this form, but Southern English has it,

Old 12-13-2010, 06:42 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,716,682 times
In some sense the Appalachians extend to Scotland and Morocco: Appalachian Trail could extend overseas to Morocco - USATODAY.com

Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Are you sure about this? Most maps show Appalachia as this

that's the "Regional Commission" set up by the US government. Distribution of federal $$$$$ was involved, so every senator was competing to have more of their state included. it is a political map, and has nothing to do with the land.. which is why it goes into Mississippi, and Youngstown, Ohio, which are hard to justify as appalchian.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
In some sense the Appalachians extend to Scotland and Morocco: Appalachian Trail could extend overseas to Morocco - USATODAY.com

That's interesting. But I have one counterpoint to their concept. The mountains may have touched, in fact, caused each other, in an ancient world. But the western part didn't get the name Appalachians until the Indians called them that.

That would make them more like siblings rather than the same range I'd think.

You know the funny thing? America's modern Appalachian highlanders, for the most part, came from European lowlands.

But I digress, if they want to make a multi-national trail over there, good on them. It's certainly beautiful in Europe.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:44 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,716,682 times
Conversely there's also an effort afoot to create a long-distance footpath more within the Federally defined Appalachian region than the Appalachian Trail is: The Great Eastern Trail

Old 12-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Conversely there's also an effort afoot to create a long-distance footpath more within the Federally defined Appalachian region than the Appalachian Trail is: The Great Eastern Trail
I know that one.

They finished the New York leg between Watkins and Elmira I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.