U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about transplants
I like them 12 57.14%
i wish they wouldn't move here 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM

4,811 posts, read 8,813,928 times

Advertisements

Many people hate transplants moving to their cities because they can be rude and try to take over from the native people who were born and raised in these cities.

Some like transplants because it offers a clash of different regional traditions.

For me personally, I find transplants to be annoying. They like to think they run the city and that natives of the city don't matter.

How do you feel about transplants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,508,413 times
I like them...mainly because I am one haha. I'm from the suburbs (South Shore) of Boston but now live in the city. It's obviously not the same thing as being from a different state or something, but I'm still not from the city.

What do you mean when you say "They like to think they run the city and that natives of the city don't matter."...I haven't ever encountered a situation like that. I think it's more common for people to move to cities and either A. Talk about how much more they like it at home or B. Tell their friends at home how much better it is in their new location.

I personally like doing both.

When I was in college, I was an ass about how much I liked Boston. Now that I'm actually in the city, I'm totally crapping on the suburb I grew up in. I'm now much more cultured than those idiots out their with their stupid cars and sprawl and cul-de-sacs.

However I've never seen anyone come to a city and then treat the natives like crap and act as if it's their city.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 AM

4,467 posts, read 8,439,424 times
I like them. However, the only thing that I do not like is when they drive super slow. Hate it lol.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,165,015 times
Of course it is a case by case thing, but for the most part I'm a fan. Most are kind and looking to start fresh - they aren't looking to cause trouble. And when they do bring new culture, we're better for it.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,359,257 times
People are people. I don't care where they are from, as long as they have a good personality and don't act like arrogant **** (use your imagination for that one) then I'll be cool with them. Lately, I've been meeting plenty of recently transplanted Chicagoans here in LA, and I gotta say, they are some of the nicest people I've ever met. It's really made me want to go to Chicago and visit the place, just judging by friendly some of the people can be. Even the former LK I know from Cicero was one of the nicest people I met (especially since he figured out that I am not an active gang member)

The bartender at the bar I sometimes go to is from DC, and one of my friends is dating a guy from NYC. I just hate some of the people who come here and blame the city for every single one of their problems, but what can you do? Complainers will be complainers.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:21 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
It all depends on the person. But sometimes, and I can speak from experience, the transplant is friendly and the natives are rude.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:27 PM

711 posts, read 978,062 times
I don't have a problem with folks coming here to find a better life for themselves and their families.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,198,104 times
In LA, I hated them. They always tried real hard to act what they thought LA was. It was annoying. In Dallas, I like them. They seem to be less religous, more liberal, and more diverse than the natives.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:16 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,962,576 times
It's The United States after all. I'm open to new people.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:15 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,984,650 times
I don't mind them as long as they want to be in Minnesota and don't rag on how much better the weather was where they're from. The only transplants they really annoy me are the ones from Wisconsin that bring all their Packers BS with them. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a car with a MN liscense plate and a Green Bay bumper sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or