U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 AM

18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I never said it's a "bad" city, I just said there isn't much the city offers that you can't do in numerous other cities.
It's not the reason why Atlantans and especially Houston get defensive. It's the discredit that these cities receive for any positive accolades. Like they need to hear people from other cities to put them in their place. Even people from other small older cities. It gets old and that's why the defensiveness comes out. Regarding Houston, they have a chip on their soldier. For example, how many times with people ignore its successful port that handles far more than oil. Or its simply changing before our eyes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Being born and raised in New York City, this is how most conversations go when my origin is revealed.

American: So, Where ya from?

Me: Well, I'm from New York.

American: Where in New York? The city?

Me: Yes, I was-

American: So you think your so great then, huh?

Me: Well I-

American: Let me tell you, New York City isn't so great, it's polluted, and crowded, and noisy, and the projects are teeming with cannibals!!! <gets all frothy about the mouth>

Me: I just... It's not so bad. There are nice museums and res-

American: Yeah, whatever, city boy. You think you are SOOOOOOO great. You know the world doesn't revolve around New York City.

Me: I admit there are a lot of episodes of Law & Order: SVU floating around. <sigh>

-----------------

Honestly, there are a lot of arrogant New Yorkers and usually they are very provincial, too, not knowing about much that occurs outside their own borders, much like Americans are perceived around the world on a smaller scale. The worst New Yorkers are often the one's who have never traveled about and have a very narrow view of the country and the world at large.

However, if New Yorkers are considered defensive, it may have something to do with the immediate and unrelenting barrage of attacks on their hometown that you get from many people from other parts of America which may, if I may be so bold to suggest it, indicate their own insecurity.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 PM

656 posts, read 1,793,827 times
I have to add Lexington, Kentucky to the list. I grew up there. I moved away after I graduated high school. Every time I go home to visit relatives and old friends seem to overly point out how great it is in Lexington and how they would never want to live anywhere else. It always amuses me b/c I for the most part never say anything negative about the city, just sometimes I say I don't care for colder weather. They freak out when I say that and go on and on about how great of a place it is.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:01 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,165,810 times
Philadelphia
and
Indianapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or