U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 05:00 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello all,
I have noticed from living all over the US that there are certain cities that if you voice your dislike of it the majority of people who live there will get overly offended and get very defensive. I know there are people like this in every city and town but it seems that in some cities there is a lot of overkill on the residents getting very defensive about their city/town. So what towns have you all lived in that people seemed to get overly defensive about if you offered any criticisms?
Philadelphia needs to be near the top of the list. It's a very provincial city and the loudest defenders are typically lifers who spend their "out of town/vacation" time at the Jersey Shore with other lifers. It's a weird city in that sense given it's geographical placement in an otherwise cosmopolitan area of the country (the Northeast corridor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times
I think numerous people from numerous cities are defensive. Rightfully so. I think it's way too easy, under the cloak of anonymity, to become a bully. There are a LOT of bullies on this site, and they come from all over the country. If someone feels the need to defend their city against those who anonymously tear it to shreds, more power to them.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:11 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,288,624 times
People from Portland and Seattle definitely get very defensive, I think San Francisco as well. Los Angeles not so much.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:08 AM

14,990 posts, read 31,366,361 times
NYC and Chicago.

I wouldn't call it defensive, but maybe arrogant.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,558,292 times
Houston, then Atlanta. I thought that was a "no brainer"

Old 12-11-2010, 09:28 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,163,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Houston, then Atlanta. I thought that was a "no brainer"
Actually most people in Houston outside this site could care less. in fact they help with the bashing. When you tell them you just moved from____, they tell you why in the world would you leave____ to come here.

Houston people are not defensive about their city in the non City Data world at all. We have lots of crappy names for the city.

In my observation, people from NY, SF, Philly, Seattle, LA, Boston, ATL, San Antonio, Austin and Miami seem to think people are crazy when you don't like something in their city, or worse, claim that you prefer something in your city over theirs.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,163,980 times
The OP is talking about the real world, in places that he has lived, not city data boosters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello all,
I have noticed from living all over the US that there are certain cities that if you voice your dislike of it the majority of people who live there will get overly offended and get very defensive. I know there are people like this in every city and town but it seems that in some cities there is a lot of overkill on the residents getting very defensive about their city/town. When I lived in Portland, Oregon it was like this. It was as if I had pissed on someone's mothers grave if I ever said anything bad about Portland. A lot of the people I worked with in general would seem totally alarmed that I didn't think Portland was the greatest city on earth. I also noticed this about Fairbanks, Alaska and Lexington, Kentucky when I was living in both of them. When I lived in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Cincinnati, Tampa, Phoenix, Albuquerque, and Miami it seemed like it was ok to either love the city or hate it. People in Austin, Tx seemed to get really defensive as well as Columbia, Missouri. So what towns have you all lived in that people seemed to get overly defensive about if you offered any criticisms?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,314,520 times
Denver, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, New York City, Chicago, Columbus and Indianapolis come to mind.....you can't say something negative without somebody getting offended and pi$$ed off.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:55 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,174,553 times
In Texas, you can't say anything not completely positive about Austin, or many of them will look at you like you just, um, farted.

Houston and Dallas, not so much... usually they are just having to defend their cities against stupid stereotypes and bashing. Stop acting like these cities are on the same level as, say, Baton Rouge (no offense to Baton Rouge, but you get it), stop talking about them out of your arse if you've never been or only driven through on a freeway... and the residents won't feel the need to constantly have to correct you. These cities (Houston especially) haven't had the privilege of positive press like many others; but positive press and PR isn't always reality.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:07 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
People from DC don't seem to care because it's such a transient area. nobody here in DC is from DC.
ah i'm born and raised. i see you're in tysons corner. fairfax county ftw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or