U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:46 PM

276 posts, read 331,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
you have a lot to say about Detroit....that is until I asked if you ever been here smh

guess I know the answer

Yea I went there to re-up, twice actually.
whats ur point?

Folks can defend their city all they want but thats not gonna stop people from givin them the business. Just like how in the hood people be cuttin each other up about how they look, the clothes they wear, the shoes they got on, etc... On city data, we cuttin up cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,808,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
Yea I went there to re-up, twice actually.
whats ur point?

Folks can defend their city all they want but thats not gonna stop people from givin them the business. Just like how in the hood people be cuttin each other up about how they look, the clothes they wear, the shoes they got on, etc... On city data, we cuttin up cities.
smh yea I doubt that

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM

276 posts, read 331,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
smh yea I doubt that
I don't care if u doubt or believe shawty im a goon, i does what I does.
but yea i proved my point in this here thread im out.

Last edited by Shadow Inc.; 01-04-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,407,427 times
Excellent commentary from Nomadic; as was expected for this topic.
I've never seen so much city worship in my life. The lousy city (Austin) does have very bland landscape; at times, it even looks atrocious. The music is especially terrible. How can people listen to mid-tempo out of tune wailing emo-wannabe music night after night? I do not comprehend that. And everything you mentioned is true. It's a shame people wet their khaki pants over the Gandhi statue. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Austin, Texas.

Austinites will be shocked and appalled, (appalled I tell you!) if you do not profess a supreme adoration for Austin and all things Austin. There must be something wrong with you. It doesn't matter if you've lived in Austin your whole life and hold what you feel are legitimate beefs with the place (low-paying jobs, high levels of underemployment, limited economic diversification, poor public transportation for a community which purports to be so "green", a lack of ethnic and cultural diversity--you will be called a reverse racist if you so much as dare point out that Austin tends to be very racially stratified and is not nearly so diverse as it wants to believe it is--limited culinary and cultural offerings, lots of really bad music, an architecturally bland landscape--Austin is just as sprawl-laden and strip-mallified as other Texas cities and is quickly pricing out most of those who live on Austin's sad wages, if you can find a job--and brutally oppressive heat in the summer, among other things). You are probably a "transplant" from California/New York (these are the two states Austinites and Texans love to berate the most, but bear in mind there are people in this town who call Jerry Jones a carpetbagger because he is from Arkansas...yup) if you have the gall to even mention these things. Just shut up and love Austin. And Austinites love to refer to Austin as a "blue dot in a red state", well, that's not exactly true. You should see how some of these so-called progressives tripped when an Indian American organization proposed funding a statue of Gandhi for placement in a local park. People FLIPPED. What? Gandhi didn't play football! Or even the guitar for that matter! And Gandhi certainly didn't ride a Vespa and wear skinny jeans! This is to say nothing of the weekend when Austin closed itself down when it was known that black folks were coming from Dallas and Houston for the Texas Relays. Keep it classy, Austin.

Austin, Texas is geographic onanism if ever there could be such a thing. Seriously. Austin's not that unique, "weird", or different. It may be in the context of Texas, but if that's your metric, then it's not so difficult to be considered "different".

Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,076 times
The post about Austin was correct...though a little exagerated. A lot of Austinites get really defensive. The funny thing is most of them are transplanted Austinites from Houston and Dallas. Don't get me started on how they act towards the Texas Relays.

It's not a terrible city by a long shot, but it is massively overrated.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,727,127 times
Any city in Texas.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,407,427 times
That isn't true. People act in a certain way because the local culture stimulates that behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The funny thing is most of them are transplanted Austinites from Houston and Dallas.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That isn't true. People act in a certain way because the local culture stimulates that behavior.
Well no duh, why do you think they moved here in the first place?
Most of the people I talk to around here that are "Austiny" usually tend to be from someplace else. That's just my observation.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 AM

656 posts, read 1,791,700 times
I lived in Austin for close to a year. It was ok but I found myself paying way to much in rent compared to other cities I had lived in that were larger. I did get tricked into going to Hippy Hollow one time LOL.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:46 AM

6 posts, read 4,884 times
The answer is obviously Atlanta! We even have this moderator, "atlantagregg", who goes around locking all the threads that may shed a negative light on his beloved Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or