Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:10 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

I'll always defend Washington DC. What a unique city. Nowhere else like it.

Actually, this city belongs to all of America, since its the great uniter.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-20-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 AM

12 posts, read 38,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
My answers I don't think annoyed New Yorkers, or I'm finding little annoyance about them, because they were sourced or neutral. A few even received compliments as interesting. (Non-judgmentally telling people their city lacks a church that does liturgy in Norwegian is so "random" it's not usually deemed an insult. Maybe not even if a Norwegian Lutheran had said it.)
This is OT for this thread (sorry), but I just have to say that of course does New York have a church that does liturgy in Norwegian. Norwegian Seamen's Church is at 317 East 52nd Street, English / New York / Sjømannskirken . They are also in other cities in the US with many Norwegians: Houston, Miami, Los Angeles/San Pedro, San Francisco and New Orleans.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Atlanta and Philadelphia, easily.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
I find it so amusing that any of you think that any Atlantan gives a Fiddler's Frig what the denizens of the overtaxed northeastern crapholes think of us. Sad.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,620 times
What in the world is a "Fiddler's Frig?"

Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I find it so amusing that any of you think that any Atlantan gives a Fiddler's Frig what the denizens of the overtaxed northeastern crapholes think of us. Sad.
Thanks for proving my point. I actually couldn't wait to move out of Atlanta and get back to Chicago. I only like real cities, not suburban imitations.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
SHOT!!! - Minneapolis is not interested in being Chicago - thanks anyway.
Just like as much as people who aren't here assume it must be true - Chicago has no intrest in turning itself into NYC.

Of all the times I've been in London and hanging with British people, I've never noticed any envy for Paris, or of wanting London to be Paris. If anything people really roll their eyes at the French.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Atlanta, Phili, New York, Houston. Add my city into the bunch if you wish, I'm biased and wouldn't know it.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Obviously no one here has ever talked to anyone from Detroit, whose citizens cannot STAND to have anyone say anything bad about their city, and who will pile on whatever good there is about Motown when anybody says something the least bit encouraging about it.

"Hey, they only burned down 1000 houses and closed 20 schools last year in Detroit"

"Yeah, and next year we'll have a fire department with working hoses. And then, when we close the schools we'll make sure there aren't any kids locked in the closets first!"

(sigh)

The other times I've heard real defensiveness is when some folks from the Bronx are asked where they're from, mainly when the Bronxie is outside of New York.

"Where you from man?"

"New York"

"New York City?"

"Yeah"

"What part?"

"Kingsbridge" (or any other Bronx nighborhood. Could be Hunts Point or Riverdale or whatever)

"Where's that?"

"The Bronx"

"Oh. I hear its pretty bad there."

(sigh)
right and people like you tend to keep bashing Detroit smh

Old 12-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Firstly, why would you make fun of Detroit? That's like beating a dead horse. Secondly, I find that most Detroiters have a decent sense of humor regarding their city -- as they know that it is nationally recognized (and possibly worldwide) as the biggest city to ever fail in modern history. They may not say it's failed (me neither, really) but failing, yes.
um what Detroiters do you know? you must be refering to suburbanites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.