U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,347,632 times
Reputation: 3566

Advertisements

I am glad to see Detroit highlighted on a positive, but boy, I really hate corporatized food. Funny thing is that I never get mad at the corporations or the cities that house them. Rather, I despise that Americans are so quick to gobble up the latest fake ingredient-filled, cheaply assembled, reheated pile of garbage that can be delivered or served in a mall-based food court. And these people eat it so frequently that they don't even know what good, natural-based meals taste like.

Note: One relevant exception for cheap food (like Dominos, Pizza Hut, etc.) is being a drunk college student IMHO. And that's only if there aren't better (cheap) choices around after the bars close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,878,330 times
Reputation: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I am glad to see Detroit highlighted on a positive, but boy, I really hate corporatized food. Funny thing is that I never get mad at the corporations or the cities that house them.
Don't get me started on corporatized anything. We hit the malls for our needs because that's all there is now! The food is there because its cheap and just passable to Americans' tastes. But mainly cheap and convenient.
We don't get mad at the corporations because nobody's against exploiting a market, no matter how dumb.
We don't get mad at the cities because - well, their only choice is to outlaw these places - against many people's wishes.
Because these corporations satisfy 70% of our needs that only leaves 30% of the market for other businesses. The consumer in the 30% market is SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Mt. Airy
5,311 posts, read 5,347,632 times
Reputation: 3566
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Don't get me started on corporatized anything. We hit the malls for our needs because that's all there is now! The food is there because its cheap and just passable to Americans' tastes. But mainly cheap and convenient.
We don't get mad at the corporations because nobody's against exploiting a market, no matter how dumb.
We don't get mad at the cities because - well, their only choice is to outlaw these places - against many people's wishes.
Because these corporations satisfy 70% of our needs that only leaves 30% of the market for other businesses. The consumer in the 30% market is SOL.
Good point. I'm always afraid that the unique places that I enjoy, where there are unique shops and restaurants, will eventually get overrun with junk chains. I won't even go to the mall anymore. I'll order stuff online first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 10:41 PM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,878,330 times
Reputation: 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Good point. I'm always afraid that the unique places that I enjoy, where there are unique shops and restaurants, will eventually get overrun with junk chains. I won't even go to the mall anymore. I'll order stuff online first.
I order online mainly because I have no choice, I usually search the local resources first. If I need something specific I'm usually SOL after chasing around from store to store all day. At least with pizza (and breweries) there are niche markets for quality goods in most areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top