U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,975,076 times

Advertisements

Things I would change:

1. Have a public transportation bus (at least 4 of them to go back and forth from Humbolt to Chino Valley. Have bus stops every 2-4 blocks).

2. Lower the rates on Taxis (to $1 a mile. From Prescott Valley to Prescott, which is 7-8 miles, $7-$8).

3. Make the parking lots a lot bigger in some places.

4. Make a new dress code rule at bars and restuarants (beard must not be a certain length, must shave and shower, and wear clean looking clothes to come in).

5. Make the mall a lot bigger (how 'bout a 2nd story??).

6. Open the pool a lot longer (from morning; 10am to 10pm and the lifeguards change shifts every 6 hours).

7. Lower the prices at the bars and restuarants (gosh they are so expensive for a tiny town these days. 1 bottle of beer; $1. A glass of wine $2).

8. Hire much nicer people at some of the places here (some places here have the nastiest attitudes and personalities from some of their employers. Some never greet their customers, they just say, "what you having?" How uncoothed is that??!!).

9. Get a community indoor pool for the fall/winter seasons (so people can swim year round. Same prices as in the summer, $2.50 for adult and etc.).

10. Make the bars a little more mature for adults (about 2-3 of them now, I won't mention their names, have like beer pong games and such that aren't even real games. They came from Frat Houses and Sororities. This isn't a college town. I'd love to see a 30+ only bar, for the more conservative mature folks in town).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 01:05 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,974,482 times
Newark-

1) Legalize Marijuana- Newark police spend too much time on such a petty crime.
2) Bulldoze abandoned buildings (trap houses) and steadily build more promising communities (beautification isn't enough)
3) Increase minumum wage to $8.25. There's no reason NJ should have minimum wage rates the same as the federal when it's the most expensive state to live!
4)Develop a subway system in and around Newark-Jersey City-Manhattan.
5)Update the industrial parks and bulldoze the deserted ones.
6)Build high-rises or community parks on big pointless parking lots
7)Build a lot more 24/7 public youth centers where kid under 18 can anonymously seek free shelter and help (not the religious ones)- One in the downtown section, one in the Weequahic section, and one in the Roseville section.

Last edited by BPerone201; 05-29-2010 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 02:14 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,000,811 times
Downtown Portland is never, ever, without traffic-altering construction, and right now it is particularly bad with streets in various areas all ripped up, mostly for lining out more streetcards, a new lightrail extension, plus to turn a major artery into a one-way street (don't let me get started on this one!). In other words, I always feel that downtown Portland is NEVER "finished".

I hate most of the kooks elected into office (especially city mayors), and am damn glad that I'm a "burbanite".

Out of our control, but it'd sure be nice to have better springs than we do.

We've always had a lot more transplants than jobs to provide, even when the economy was okay elsewhere. So I have to say that we have too many people here, considering the anemic work force.

I don't know about Oregon itself, but Portland is a sanctuary state, and that's something I do not agree with.

Gangs! They're in various areas of Portland, different types of gangs, and some burbs. They are cancers to any civilization.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:27 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,221,779 times
Bring in more jobs! I know that full employment is a goal that can never be achieved, but 10%, plus even higher underemployment, is just not acceptable.
Sidewalks, with bicycle-safe curbs, not a 6" dropoff on ALL major roadways.
More direct mass transit, so you don't have to go downtown before you can go anywhere else.
Public concerts with free admission (that is probably a major stretch).
Races that you can enter just a week before. This, also, will probably never happen, Marathons and half marathons are often sold out months in advance.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:21 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,703,004 times
bring back the death penalty, do it China-style.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:22 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,868,927 times
-Bring people back---- I would construct a district in downtown that would consist of entertainment

and cultural attractions. It would include a new hotel, an aquarium, upgrading the Civic Center,

upscale shopping and dinning, another department store, a small indoor amusement park,{and or

water park}, and some condos

-Clay Center---- The city is already getting a new downtown library so I'd donate the old histroric

building to the Clay center which is a science and art center. The old building would be an art

musium, and the space in the Clay Center would be used for more science stuff

-Yeager Airport---- I would upgrade the airport into a small international, with a better road going

to it

-The Inovation Beltway---- I would construct an interstate that would circle the city and would be

used to attract business and people. The highway would pass through I-64, I-77, and I-79 and

would also cut across US-119 "corridor G"

Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,984,770 times
Pittsburgh

1. Widen I-376, including both the Squirrel Hill and Fort Pitt Tunnels. Eight lanes would be preferred, but six lanes would suffice. It needs more than four lanes, regardless.

2. Find a way to build complete interchanges at both ends of I-579, so access to I-376, I-279 and PA 28 is more convenient.

3. Implement a Harrisburg-style, two-tiered property tax system. Tax vacant and abandoned property at triple the rate of occupied property.

4. Reform the public employee pension system. Make the benefits unavailable until age 70 for anybody who begins working for the city effective January 1, 2011. Also, find a way to fund the current obligations.

5. Build a few mid-rise buildings between downtown and the Hill District. Also promote uptown as a place for future redevelopment.

Athens, GA

1. Athens Perimeter ("Loop 10") improvements: Widen it to six lanes all the way around. Build an interchange at Peter Street and Olympic Drive. Make a full loop by reconfiguring the interchange with U.S. 29 north so that the Perimeter doesn't have to exit itself. Place large green signs at all on-ramps from secondary roads, and have them illustrate ALL routes that the Perimeter is carrying as it passes each interchange.

2. Postpone road resurfacing projects in the vicinity of all new building construction. Lay the required infrastructure first before resurfacing, instead of resurfacing just in time for the building construction crews to cut the road back up to lay the infrastructure. The roads that have been cut up are all in terrible shape.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 PM

804 posts, read 1,747,913 times
Charlotte NC

*Finish Building 485
*Give me a Direct link between Fayetteville and Charlotte or a Spur from new I-74 thru Raeford(NC Issue)
*Leave a little hisotry in the city, I feel like everthything is Changing so fast I will be lost in 5 years.
*We Just don't need streetcar thru center city, we need one down Park Rd to SouthPark mall, Park Rd is poised to become even busier in the future.
*BRT on Independence before the LR is built
*Redevelopment of Freedom and Eastland Mall areas we cant let these places fall to the wayside
*More Fluid connections between the suburbs and the city

Old 05-31-2010, 06:07 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,119,972 times
St. Louis

-Reincorporate the City into the County, then have a combination of munincipal consolidation in St. Louis County and City annexation (the biggest perception issue nationally with St. Louis is a result of this issue)
-Restore local control of City functions (You would be shoked at how much the state controls city functions dating back to the Civil War, basically still being punished for its past)
-Remove any downtown building height restrictions (makes the city look more like Des Moines although this likely hasn't been an issue until very recently, that and will likely be resolved this decade as well with realistic proposals of new buildings that do just that)
-Another big downfall is attitude of residents being a hinderance (another issue that will be solved since it's mainly baby-boomers and older that are the problem)
-Some plan of reconnecting downtown with the archgrounds (likely by covering I-70)
-More regional cooperation instead of constantly competing with itself (often a function of the first issue)

Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 PM

13 posts, read 11,345 times
Default Police system ("municiple") -Antiquated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
What things would you do to improve your city and why? Where I'm from,I'd like to see the city add additional police to the force to curb the wave of crime.Better mass-transit tocut down on the number of cars on the road.
I live in NEW BRITAIN, CT about a 150+ Police Force. Your disallusioned with that Idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or