U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 11:48 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,329,113 times

Advertisements

America is a beautiful place with more scenic locations than the average person could see in a life-time.
Not only the dramatic landscapes such as mountains, canyons, etc., but even the "ordinary" natural scenery is a wonderful place to enjoy.
I have been to many places that are not regarded as tourist magnets. There are many hills, forests, creeks, rivers, and valleys which provide relaxation and beautiful views.
It really bothers me to be in such locations and see the amount of trash everywhere. Hardly any creek or river banks are without bottles, cans, broken glass, plastic bags, and various other forms of litter. Even worse, some places one can find discarded sofas, stoves, tires, construction debris, and much more to create an ugly scene. Also, many along rural roads one can find the same ugly garbage.
I think it's disgusting and there isn't any excuse for dumping garbage in the landscape. Although it is punishable by law in most places, people continue to litter.
I just wonder, who are the people that do this? Do they consider themselves as citizens who love America? If so, why don't they show it by disposing their garbage where it belongs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 03:39 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,465,913 times
Boy, isn't that the truth? That's a big pet peeve of mine, but if one looks around at the yards of some homes, one can see why there is a problem with littering and dumping household items. Some people are too darn lazy and sloppy to care. If they cannot exhibit admiration in their own humble or fancy dwellings, they're certainly not going to care about our countryside.

I'm sure all of us at one time have seen the inside of a home that is absolutely disgusting. I don't get it and if people want to live that way, keep in inside. Clear up your yards and stop littering; many of us don't like looking at your mess. What slays me is refrigerators, stoves, etc. on front porches and tires and junk all over the yard. It's ridiculous.

As far as it being against the law......So is speeding, but many people still choose to break the law every day.

It' discouraging, for sure. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:40 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,407,324 times
Thanks for posting that and I agree. It's probably the same people that when you go to their house or get in their car it's filthy. It's just plain lazy and disrespectful of the community they live in. I live off a long road that's lined with beautiful trees and it leads to a boat launch. Guys drive up and down that road throwing their garbage out the window and emptying their ashtray. Ignorant, lazy pigs....I said in another post I wish they would invent something that if you throw garbage out the window it get's thrown back at you.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:59 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,468,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I wish they would invent something that if you throw garbage out the window it get's thrown back at you.
Followed up by a big mechanical hand that proceeds to bit*h slap the crap outta them.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:03 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,673,361 times
Huge pet peeve of mine also. Just today I was stopped at a stoplight, and the woman in the car in front of me tossed out an empty bag of chips, a bunch of little stuff, and then spat, twice. It was awful. I was tempted to get out of my car and say something, but she looked pretty big, and I bruise easily.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 AM

32,429 posts, read 59,944,052 times
Christina, I usually honk the horn when I see people littering out of their cars. I'm sure they have no clue what I'm honking about, but it makes me feel better.

What really grosses me out is when people pull up to a stoplight, open their door, and upend the ashtray. Gah!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,407,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Followed up by a big mechanical hand that proceeds to bit*h slap the crap outta them.
Yes! I'd like it to be my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Huge pet peeve of mine also. Just today I was stopped at a stoplight, and the woman in the car in front of me tossed out an empty bag of chips, a bunch of little stuff, and then spat, twice. It was awful. I was tempted to get out of my car and say something, but she looked pretty big, and I bruise easily.
You're funny. I've thought about making a sign that says "You're a Pig" and keep it in my car but people are crazy these days. I would probably get shot.

Last edited by Global Friend; 07-14-2007 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-13-2007, 11:31 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,286,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Christina, I usually honk the horn when I see people littering out of their cars. I'm sure they have no clue what I'm honking about, but it makes me feel better.
That's like the good ole Buckeye flashing your lights when someone passes you. It serves no effect except that indignance makes a Buckeye feel right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or