U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 AM

7,412 posts, read 8,233,887 times

Advertisements

Read your own citizen's complaints about the bugs in Houston:
Insects, humidity - what's the real scoop...thinking about Houston metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,792,100 times
^ Yeah I get what you meant now. You should have said that from the start though. But even then, those aren't super common, they are around yes, but they aren't in everyone who has a pool's backyard. Some people just filter water either way, no pool cover.

I've seen a few of those, they're more in common along the Houston areas where there are tall trees and trees in close proximity to each other (Mostly inner city Houston). Normally the hassle of pool ownership comes with the fact that tree leaves falling into the pool. And insects that live on certain type of trees trees fall in also.

It's not a problem in my neighborhood or for that matter, in my part of the city (or my half of the metropolitan area) at all because we don't have trees that close together. I cant lie and say I haven't seen that but its in the minority in my side of town. I do however see those being used more in the Outer Loop area of Houston city limits, where they have a lot of trees lining the yards. You wont ever see those in Katy, Sugar Land, Conroe, Pearland, & a few other areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Read your own citizen's complaints about the bugs in Houston:
Insects, humidity - what's the real scoop...thinking about Houston metro?
Not really. You're getting your information from City-Data and asserting it that the entire city is like that. Which is where the problem came in from. That is like saying all of Los Angeles is hot because some areas inland miles away from the coast get hot. If you follow what I am saying. A lot of the buggy areas of Houston are low income areas, where they've had particular deteriorating trees which are home to a lot of bugs and weathered rainfall to detoriation are prevalent. Those areas consist of Alief, Stafford, 5th Ward, Monroe, and a few others. Bugs do tend to be in a sizable area of Houston but to say they are everywhere and affect the lives of everyone, is well absurdly not true. It depends where they are and how old the area is and what the trees in the area are like. Lots of places in the Houston area have done a good job staying bug resistant by having only certain trees in their city, and not allowing other types that can cause problems later on. Which is why it varies.

Areas like where I live its not like that at all, even in the slightest. Bugs from what I've noted in Houston are attracted to areas with pine trees or something like that. And anyone whose cleaned their yards before knows that part. For me and others in Sugar Land, Katy, Conroe, Pearland and other areas on the sides of town it isn't the case.

Houston in the area like say Alief, if gets buggy as hell there. I am not going to lie about it, but that is a small section of the city. A lot of the sections where bugs are small sections but large population. It isn't the need of insect repellents either in those areas its just that they have a lot of trees of which during fall and spring especially when its wet and leaves fall it gets disgusting in those areas. Yeah those areas are like that.

But yeah, thats why I didn't know what the hell you were talking about when you tried to assert the entire city like that and that everyone in the city uses repellents or something, because for me and for a good millions of people out of 6 million, its not a case of problem. Nor is it a case of something we have to worry about or ever have worried about, at least where I grew up it wasn't like such.

There was a given year though around 2003 where there was a lot of talk about malaria and such and water contamination after Tropical Storm Allison where the Houston area had an absurd number of mosquito's and I do remember it being a pain that year. But after that it significantly hasn't been a bother to me so to speak. But that was just that year and has ended.

Here let me put this in visuals for you.

Do you see these tree's in the below picture? They are young, very healthy, and look at the stems and the body of the tree, you'll notice they're very solid and very monotone to the same coloring. These trees don't carry lots of bugs, nor do they attract lots of bugs:

Now look at this picture. What did you notice the difference being? Notice how the tree's body's here have moss and algae growing on it, because they're in areas where its very old and where its rained quite a bit. It's deteriorated the trees and the bugs use that as shelter, its a a parasitic relationship (refer to Biology). This is where it gets buggy, and trees like these are only located in certain parts of Houston and are restrained as such, if you revert back to my picture of my yard, tell me how many trees you see in my yard and the neighbors yards? Barely any and even the trees we have are more in tune with the first picture, retained trees from being hospitable hosts to bugs (Algae does not easily grow on them). Our area isn't like that at all, and its not an infestation for moss and algae buggy area:

What bugs people the most about Houston is that when it rains things get soggier for some areas, while the others are resistant. Like for example, some inner city areas are drenched with water, the bugs from the algae covered old trees come out and it just becomes a mess in those areas like Alief, 5th Ward, Stafford, Wilcrest, and such. However its restricted only to certain segments of the city overall. Like I said, I grew up in Sugar Land, and for me I was oblivious to these "bug problems" and such. I noticed some areas got dirt buggy, but I never saw that in my area or anywhere my friends lived. The areas that do are poorly maintained and low income areas.

Here read these:
Los Angeles Bad Air Quality: http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12247707
Houston Bad Air Quality: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/eve...eature_03.html

I included Houston so that way you wouldn't think I'm bashing Los Angeles when I'm just trying to make a simple point. But it states both cities have awful air quality. Did you choke on the air today when trying to breathe Californio Sur? Of course you didn't because its only in some areas of the city, but the article makes it seem like it speaks for all of Los Angeles. And I know for a fact much of Los Angeles (and Houston for that matter) has livable air quality. And it doesn't affect your life. Same way, buggy areas are restricted to some areas and it doesn't affect many peoples lives while it may to some. (And that's my point, let me underline it for emphasis)

I think its fair to say this discussion should go back to the original topic though. None of this is important to the question at hand, so I think it should be ended. This is my last post in this thread. And wont be responding back to any other posts, because I think this matter is just silly anyway you picture it. It's people calling each other liars and others saying "you haven't been". We need to try to understand from each others shoes first before we call each other liars and get all carried away bashing each other. Let's act like our age people.

Peace out!

Last edited by DANNYY; 12-13-2010 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: Tweak.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 AM

35 posts, read 133,380 times
from the places I've seen in the US

Miami impressed me, but I must admit I have a thing for dark sexy latin guys (except mexicans)

the ugliest I've seen.... Raleigh NC (they are either fat rednecks, mexican migrant workers, or jolly southern fat black men)

Old 12-13-2010, 06:24 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,981,759 times
Atlanta

Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
how about y'all duke it out on PM's? There are about 5 pages on this thread that are completely irrelevant to the topic, and all about settling scores and nobody else really cares.

back to the thread topic.....

BEST LOOKING MEN

Denver (menver). Guys here are outdoorsy and in good shape, and lots of those corn fed farm boys from the plains living here.

Miami - lotsa pretty boys if you're into that.

Boston - plenty of Irish and Italian testosterone

Montreal - yeah I know it's not in the US, but Montreal seems to have an exceptionally high ratio of goof looking men and women, and they like to dress dapper up there.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:54 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,599 times
Short Answer: It's the city I currently reside at the moment.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 AM

818 posts, read 1,149,496 times
I agree with caphillsea77, can we allow this thread to start heading into the real topic?
Quote:
Personally and since I live in metro Los Angeles I think LA has the best looking men because of all the outdoor activities guys do here and keeping in shape. Plus the movie\TV industry draws good-looking men hoping to be discovered. There is a strong emphasis on staying fit with many health clubs. I think Los Angeles is the only city that holds outdoor bodybuilding contests at the beach [except maybe Miami] and models live here as well as New York City.

Can any other city rival Los Angeles for best-looking men?
I think NYC easily trumps all the other cities. LA has outdoor activities but I don't think pedestrian activity and the glamor of Hollywood can match NYC. LA and Miami come in second though.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,557,485 times
Quote:
Hey, might as well give the women something to vote on or gays. So many threads focus on what city or state has the best-looking women I think it is about time to ask the same question about men.

Personally and since I live in metro Los Angeles I think LA has the best looking men because of all the outdoor activities guys do here and keeping in shape. Plus the movie\TV industry draws good-looking men hoping to be discovered. There is a strong emphasis on staying fit with many health clubs. I think Los Angeles is the only city that holds outdoor bodybuilding contests at the beach [except maybe Miami] and models live here as well as New York City.

Can any other city rival Los Angeles for best-looking men?
You already knew the answer to your question.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Top 5 hottest male celebs:

5. Oklahoma's Grade A Beef:
Brad Pitt
Moderator cut: image removed

4. Texas Prime Steak:
Patrick Swayze

3. Kentucky Stock:
Jack Sparrow

2. Hottest Celebrity comes from Iowa:
Elijah Wood:

1. Hottest celebrity is
Flava Flav............

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,233,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Top 5 hottest male celebs:

5. Oklahoma's Grade A Beef:
Brad Pitt

4. Texas Prime Steak:
Patrick Swayze

3. Kentucky Stock:
Jack Sparrow

2. Hottest Celebrity comes from Iowa:
Elijah Wood:

1. Hottest celebrity is
Flava Flav............
And they all live in Los Angeles except of-course, Patrick Swayze who recently died in Los Angeles. I guess Texas' "best" know where to go to live and it isn't in Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or