U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,711,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ if he has a General American accent, people probably won't notice or care. I know plenty of people from small Southern towns who have a General American accent, they aren't called yankees. That accent will pass in most parts of the country.
Tis truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 PM

18 posts, read 24,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post

Yeah you are right . By the way what part of Upstate are you from?
Buffalo.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:31 PM

34,691 posts, read 33,700,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR1988 View Post

What would your reaction be to some one like me becoming a police officer in your area? Would you hate being pulled over by a yankee, just because of where God happened to place them, or would the due respect and courtesy you received negate that.
If you don't look like a red light camera, I think you'd be fine in my city/town. Of course, I'm from NY, too, so what do I know. You guys in western NY pronounce your er's (think water vs wautuh or never vs nevuh) at the end of a word unlike my former side of NY state. You western NYers could pass for Michigan.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,155,742 times
Quote:
I was just saying because I have a friend who is from NJ and he lives in a small town in South Carolina, and he gets called a Yankee every time and he has the general american accent.

Speaking of the elderly people, the elderly people in the south are something else. I lived in Va Beach for 2 years. They always get me mad, because they think they could get away with things just because they are old. For example, I was in the line and this old person tries to get in front of me. I mean just because you are old, you are not going to skip me. So I just went ahead and told him to get back of me, because I was here first than him. You know what I also dislike? Older people talk down on the people that are younger than them or treat them differently. This always aggravates me. I do not let anybody talk down to me. If I treat a person with respect I should get the same respect.

Yeah you are right . By the way what part of Upstate are you from?
I have a "gut" feeling you had more than a few of these "situations" while you lived in Virginia.

All I can say is that I am SO glad you are back where you belong.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:42 AM

18 posts, read 24,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I have a "gut" feeling you had more than a few of these "situations" while you lived in Virginia.

All I can say is that I am SO glad you are back where you belong.
Is it typical for old people to cut in line? What if you're on a lunch break and only have 5 minutes to get back!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR1988 View Post
What would your reaction be to some one like me becoming a police officer in your area? Would you hate being pulled over by a yankee, just because of where God happened to place them, or would the due respect and courtesy you received negate that.
it wouldn't bother me.

a typical culture clash situation, might be somebody who gets really loud in public, sitting in the booth next to me in a resturant. in atlanta that would slip by under the radar. in valdosta, you'd be "making a scene." so it's hard to get a good idea of what things might be like, not knowing much about you, or where exactly you're moving.

Last edited by le roi; 12-13-2010 at 07:18 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 06:51 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
I was just saying because I have a friend who is from NJ and he lives in a small town in South Carolina, and he gets called a Yankee every time and he has the general american accent.
LOL i can only imagine what your "friend from New Jersey" really sound like. New York and New Jersey are not known for being places with neutral accents. i am skeptical that your friend, or the OP, has a perfect "general american accent."

but for arguments sake, lets say that the OP does sound like Tom Brokaw, with no trace whatsoever of New York or New Jersey. i seriously doubt he'd be called a "yankee" in somewhere like SC.

Last edited by le roi; 12-13-2010 at 07:19 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 AM

56,640 posts, read 80,952,685 times
This is an interesting topic and I'll put it like this. my mother is originally from SC near Myrtle Beach and Florence. She said that kids used to pick on her for the way she would talk because they thought she sounded like a NYer, eventhough she was born and raised there until she was 12. With that said, when I would go "Down South", I can't remember people saying anything specifically about my accent, but you could sense that they knew that you weren't from there.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 AM

138 posts, read 215,605 times
If you have a General American Accent no one is going to say anything to you more than likely. I wouldn't even notice. If they call you a yankee its probably just in jest. I've never heard someone use the word yankee in any kind of derogatory manner and I've lived in Alabama all of my life.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 AM

767 posts, read 2,003,929 times
Quote:
If you go to a place that is very southern and people talk with a southern accent, you will be called a yankee.
What do the good folks from NY call us Southerners when we visit?
Last March in a Home Depot near Valhalla, after I asked a clerk where an item was, the first words out of his mouth were, "You sound country,where are you from?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.