U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR1988 View Post
Is it typical for old people to cut in line? What if you're on a lunch break and only have 5 minutes to get back!
this is not typical at all in Memphis. They'd probably get cussed out here if they did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:05 PM

18 posts, read 24,802 times
Hmm I suppose that is true. I probably have some things that I might say differently.

What do northerners call southerners? I don't know, as I am not all northerners, but I call southerners southerners I guess.

Thanks everyone for your answers!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:41 PM

736 posts, read 424,592 times
I wouldn't like getting pulled over by any cop, be he southern or yankee. On the other hand if I got pulled over by a cop with a strong yankee accent I would probably act a little strange. I would probably put on my strongest southern accent and act dumb just to make him mad. I know it doesn't very smart but it might be fun.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,445,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I have a "gut" feeling you had more than a few of these "situations" while you lived in Virginia.

All I can say is that I am SO glad you are back where you belong.
Yeah even the other NYers that I met in VA told me that it was so boring there.. Others told me that was as southern as they would get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
What do the good folks from NY call us Southerners when we visit?
Last March in a Home Depot near Valhalla, after I asked a clerk where an item was, the first words out of his mouth were, "You sound country,where are you from?"
Well some of us call may call you guys rednecks. However not all of us are like that.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,385,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR1988 View Post
First, a preface to this question. I have traveled in many states and have enjoyed my time in all of them. I am from New York (the state, not NYC), but I really like southern states. I have had the opportunity to spend time in Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas among others, and enjoyed it very much. I also have worked at a nationwide call center and out of perhaps 8,000 phone calls I took while working there, only a handful of people said you aren't based here (their town) are you. I can't remember how many times they asked what street our office was on. I don't have a New Yawk accent either, as I live completely on the other side of the state. My accent is general American, like you would hear on a TV news broadcast. I always try to say please and thank you. And while I don't typically say no sir or yes ma'am, I say no thank you and yes please.

What would your reaction be to some one like me becoming a police officer in your area? Would you hate being pulled over by a yankee, just because of where God happened to place them, or would the due respect and courtesy you received negate that.
I don't know if Missouri is considered a "southern state" or not (there have been disagreements about this for a hundred years LOL).

I find that people who are well educated and more "upscale" tend to have little or no accent even though they have been born and raised in this area. You not having a discernible speech pattern would not be a problem around here as far as I would say.

Of course, police officers make about $9 per hour where I live, so I don't expect that we'll be seeing you any time soon. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.