U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
 
18 posts, read 24,783 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

First, a preface to this question. I have traveled in many states and have enjoyed my time in all of them. I am from New York (the state, not NYC), but I really like southern states. I have had the opportunity to spend time in Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas among others, and enjoyed it very much. I also have worked at a nationwide call center and out of perhaps 8,000 phone calls I took while working there, only a handful of people said you aren't based here (their town) are you. I can't remember how many times they asked what street our office was on. I don't have a New Yawk accent either, as I live completely on the other side of the state. My accent is general American, like you would hear on a TV news broadcast. I always try to say please and thank you. And while I don't typically say no sir or yes ma'am, I say no thank you and yes please.


What would your reaction be to some one like me becoming a police officer in your area? Would you hate being pulled over by a yankee, just because of where God happened to place them, or would the due respect and courtesy you received negate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Reputation: 1798
I'd hate to be pulled over by anyone, I don't care where they're from. I will say, cops with Southern accents tend to intimidate me though. I don't think anyone would really notice your accent if it's General American like you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,191 posts, read 4,135,453 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR1988 View Post
First, a preface to this question. I have traveled in many states and have enjoyed my time in all of them. I am from New York (the state, not NYC), but I really like southern states. I have had the opportunity to spend time in Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas among others, and enjoyed it very much. I also have worked at a nationwide call center and out of perhaps 8,000 phone calls I took while working there, only a handful of people said you aren't based here (their town) are you. I can't remember how many times they asked what street our office was on. I don't have a New Yawk accent either, as I live completely on the other side of the state. My accent is general American, like you would hear on a TV news broadcast. I always try to say please and thank you. And while I don't typically say no sir or yes ma'am, I say no thank you and yes please.


What would your reaction be to some one like me becoming a police officer in your area? Would you hate being pulled over by a yankee, just because of where God happened to place them, or would the due respect and courtesy you received negate that.
To the start of your posts, I live in Arizona and my experiences with southerners parallelled yours! I have a real liking to the southern states as well (great people there), and have seen large parts of Texas and Louisiana and a bit of Mississippi and enjoyed it. And I used to work at a nationwide call center, but I speak with a Western accent, with a little hint of Texanish/Interior Southwestern twang.

In general, I don't think one should care where a police officer came from, a cop is a cop and they wear a badge, regardless of accent. But I won't try to speed so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:45 PM
 
18 posts, read 24,783 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
To the start of your posts, I live in Arizona and my experiences with southerners parallelled yours! I have a real liking to the southern states as well (great people there), and have seen large parts of Texas and Louisiana and a bit of Mississippi and enjoyed it. And I used to work at a nationwide call center, but I speak with a Western accent, with a little hint of Texanish/Interior Southwestern twang.

In general, I don't think one should care where a police officer came from, a cop is a cop and they wear a badge, regardless of accent. But I won't try to speed so much.
I have not been to Arizona, but I would like to check it out. I have a few friends that went and they loved it. As far as re-locating goes, what are some areas I should look at in AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,191 posts, read 4,135,453 times
Reputation: 2104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR1988 View Post
I have not been to Arizona, but I would like to check it out. I have a few friends that went and they loved it. As far as re-locating goes, what are some areas I should look at in AZ?
As far as relocating goes, I don't know, Arizona's economy is in a bad way right now. But if you really want to, I suggest you look around Tucson, Casa Grande, Phoenix or Flagstaff. I live in a little town a hundred-some miles from everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,467 posts, read 8,439,424 times
Reputation: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR1988 View Post
First, a preface to this question. I have traveled in many states and have enjoyed my time in all of them. I am from New York (the state, not NYC), but I really like southern states. I have had the opportunity to spend time in Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas among others, and enjoyed it very much. I also have worked at a nationwide call center and out of perhaps 8,000 phone calls I took while working there, only a handful of people said you aren't based here (their town) are you. I can't remember how many times they asked what street our office was on. I don't have a New Yawk accent either, as I live completely on the other side of the state. My accent is general American, like you would hear on a TV news broadcast. I always try to say please and thank you. And while I don't typically say no sir or yes ma'am, I say no thank you and yes please.


What would your reaction be to some one like me becoming a police officer in your area? Would you hate being pulled over by a yankee, just because of where God happened to place them, or would the due respect and courtesy you received negate that.
If you go to a place that is very southern and people talk with a southern accent, you will be called a yankee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Reputation: 1798
^ if he has a General American accent, people probably won't notice or care. I know plenty of people from small Southern towns who have a General American accent, they aren't called yankees. That accent will pass in most parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Floribama
15,006 posts, read 31,383,615 times
Reputation: 13803
There are lots of people in the South that have a "general American" accent, even some that were born and raised here. I gotta admit though, if a cop down here had a NYC/guido or Boston type accent he/she would likely get some snide remarks eventually.

We do typically say ma'am and sir, especially if the person is older/elderly, it's considered showing respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 05:58 PM
 
18 posts, read 24,783 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
If you go to a place that is very southern and people talk with a southern accent, you will be called a yankee.
I don't think I would go some place extremely southern, but you are right I would expect that. I really only ask this because I read some of the threads here on "northerners vs southerners" and wondered if maybe moving south was not a good idea. After all, I only vacationed in these areas where they were probably used to tourists.

I think that all in all, people are going to treat another person they way that person treats them, although you have to expect that in certain areas this is not the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,467 posts, read 8,439,424 times
Reputation: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There are lots of people in the South that have a "general American" accent, even some that were born and raised here. I gotta admit though, if a cop down here had a NYC/guido or Boston type accent he/she would likely get some snide remarks eventually.

We do typically say ma'am and sir, especially if the person is older/elderly, it's considered showing respect.
I was just saying because I have a friend who is from NJ and he lives in a small town in South Carolina, and he gets called a Yankee every time and he has the general american accent.

Speaking of the elderly people, the elderly people in the south are something else. I lived in Va Beach for 2 years. They always get me mad, because they think they could get away with things just because they are old. For example, I was in the line and this old person tries to get in front of me. I mean just because you are old, you are not going to skip me. So I just went ahead and told him to get back of me, because I was here first than him. You know what I also dislike? Older people talk down on the people that are younger than them or treat them differently. This always aggravates me. I do not let anybody talk down to me. If I treat a person with respect I should get the same respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR1988 View Post
I don't think I would go some place extremely southern, but you are right I would expect that. I really only ask this because I read some of the threads here on "northerners vs southerners" and wondered if maybe moving south was not a good idea. After all, I only vacationed in these areas where they were probably used to tourists.

I think that all in all, people are going to treat another person they way that person treats them, although you have to expect that in certain areas this is not the case.
Yeah you are right . By the way what part of Upstate are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top