U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,455 times

Advertisements

I am currently residing in the Detroit Metro area. I am so not a snow person but all of my family is here.....I have lived in Portland, OR for 6 years and loved the city, but the distance from my family was a toughie. I would like a city with more ethnic diversity than PDX, but did love the progressive attitude and the amazing food scene there. In my dream world I would live somewhere urban that is close to a beach that you could go in without a full wet suit and palm trees. San Diego and Florida seem to be what keeps coming up. Any suggestions on a happy medium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 AM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Maybe the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia(especially Virginia Beach), the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, Houston and if you don't mind perhaps Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:12 PM

790 posts, read 1,466,060 times
check out coastal VA + NC. Great climate and very friendly people although the unemployment numbers are pretty high, like most places

Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
You might check out the historic downtown neighborhoods of either Savannah, Georgia or Charleston, South Carolina. It's warm enough most times of the year for the beach, they both have a somewhat progressive vibe, quality food scenes and a diverse population.

Savannah, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Charleston, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.