U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 AM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
If you don't want a childish, nonsensical reply then don't post an inane, nasty, condescending message.

Extremely vague content.
Ok, you're witty. Back on topic please... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 08:22 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,193,769 times
Maryland is currently the richest state in the nation. Baltimore and DC combined make up the best job market in the United States with DC ranking number one and Baltimore ranking at number three.

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com

DC also currently has the highest median income salaries of any big city in the country. The Baltimore/DC area is a great place to be because of the superb quality of life in the nicer areas. Not to mention, Philadelphia is only an hour and a half drive and NYC is a three to four hour drive up I-95. When DC, Baltimore and the outlying burbs get boring, you can hop in your car or hop on a bus and explore the cities above the Mason-Dixon line or take road trips down south to the Carolinas, Georgia and even Florida during the summer if thats your thing.

Washington, D.C., posts highest median income in 2009 - Sep. 28, 2010

There are a lot of quiet towns in affluent suburbs in the Baltimore/Washington corridor in Montgomery, Howard, Prince George's and Baltimore counties. All of these suburban counties are among the richest in the nation. However, even though Maryland is the richest state, it is a very affordable place compared to California. Also, the winters in Maryland and Northern Virginia are slightly less brutal than the winters in the NYC and Boston metro areas. Many times when it is snowing in NYC, it is raining in MD during the winter. However, you definitely get a good helping of all four seasons in MD. I cannot promise another snowmaggedon this year because it doesn't happen every winter, but it is possible.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,056 times
Thank you kyle19125. Everything you said is what I meant!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 5,056 times
Thank you goldenchild08, that is great feedback!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:21 AM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 520,222 times
I hear that Bethesda, Maryland and Alexandria, Virginia are very nice. You might want to check them out. Good luck

Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,671,558 times
Id look more at the Carolinas or maybe Virginia. Md/DC Suburbs are too expensive and too congested.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 PM

34,692 posts, read 33,700,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Washington, DC area is a great place to live. The excellent transit system provides easy accessibility to work from the type of smaller suburban towns you're looking for. I would suggest looking at Rockville, Maryland. It's an easy commute to DC but worlds away in terms of feel. It's very safe/family oriented, has excellent public schools and is overall an idyllic place to live with kids in an area close to a big city. Check out the neighborhoods near the Rockville Metro station.

Rockville, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Metro - Rail - Rockville
Rockville Town Square
You must know a different Rockville, MD than I know. It's a heavily traffic congested, transient, expensive place to live.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 PM

521 posts, read 1,146,418 times
Philadelphia metro area is a great place to live and raise a family, and provides a bigger bang for the buck than do other major nodes of the Bos-Wash Corridor.

The city's core is, by some reports, 3rd largest downtown core population with about 90,000 calling it home so it is always lively with lot of top notch cultural venues and options.

The nearby suburbs are not cookie-cutter and some are as old as Philadelphia itself, if not older in their own right! So they have a Small Town Americana feel to them.

Montgomery County, Delaware County, Chester County, and Bucks County are all in the Top 50 richest counties in America.

This is a good web site for an overview of what I'm talking about:

Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

one example of a Classic Town:

West Chester | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

For downtown Philly:

Center City District / Central Philadelphia Development Corporation Of Philadelphia

Philly's location is such that if you move to this metro, you will be about an hour from the Jersey Shore's beaches, an hour+ to NYC, about that much to the Pocono mountains, and 2.5+ hours from D.C. Pretty darn centrally located. Not that you'd be out of town that much since there is so much to see and do within Philly's 6 million+ person metro. The Fall is gorgeous, summers aren't so bad, and this is my first winter here (I moved here from Texas!) and so far, it's not bad at all.

Good luck in your search! I did my search and settled on Philly and am loving it so far.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:28 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
Just throwing it out there: Jacksonville, FL definitely gives you a non-big city feel and it's absolutely terrific for families!! (Two reasons why I dislike living here, lol)

The cost-of-living is also pretty low with no state income tax and real-estate prices in the tank. Very good time to buy. You have easy access to an abundance of beaches, one of the nicest and easiest to navigate airports in the country, and you are a short drive to that all-important family vacation destination with the mouse ears.

But, as noted, you'll get no change of seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or