U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:08 PM

17,921 posts, read 17,818,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I heard the rail system is improving. I'd really like to rent a car for at least a day in LA, I wonder how hard it is to get used to driving on the right side of the road though.
It's actually not too hard. Making left turns is probably the hardest part to remember. Otherwise, you're just following the flow of cars. I used to live in Australia as I mentioned above, it was easier than I thought to make the change lol.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM

285 posts, read 610,555 times
Years ago, I decided to visit as many states as possible. It's a bit tougher for me because I don't drive.

When it came to California: I had three choices: San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. I considered the availability and price of flights from nearby airports, the cost of hotel rooms in a central area of interest, tourist attractions, and climate.

I chose San Diego. I was able to get a decent price on a flight and a downtown hotel room, and the weather was great. San Francisco cost more money and Los Angeles was too spread out. I ended up in Los Angeles a few years later when my son graduated from college and someone else was available to do the driving.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:46 PM

214 posts, read 611,250 times
I'd say they are smart!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:53 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Lots of tourists that come to the US have no interest in visiting any big cities. Many visitors to the Western US come here for the incredible outdoor attractions like the national parks, mountains, deserts and coastal areas. LA is intimidating for visitors from another country if they are traveling on their own - it is such a vast megalopolis that scares even many people from other parts of the US from visiting.

Another thing, the cost of visiting big cities in the US can be very expensive - not easy to find hotel rooms under $150 per night in decent parts of town in NY, LA, SF, Chi, etc.
I'm equally interested to explore the wilderness of the US, but I still really want to see the cities.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:16 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,810,348 times
I would visit Miami, New Orleans, and Hawaii before NYC because I find those 3 more attractive for what I like.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:20 PM

818 posts, read 1,149,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I would visit Miami, New Orleans, and Hawaii before NYC because I find those 3 more attractive for what I like.
What is it that you like them? Beaches and tourist places?

If so then I am with you there. Those are all great vacation spots. Hawaii especially gorgeous, no words to describe that beauty.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:24 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
What is it that you like them? Beaches and tourist places?

If so then I am with you there. Those are all great vacation spots. Hawaii especially gorgeous, no words to describe that beauty.
I am from San Diego, so I like cities that are similar with warm weather, beach culture, party vibs, laid back atmosphere.

I want to see NYC but I would choose those 3 first.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:42 PM

151 posts, read 467,678 times
As someone who lived on the cold Pacific coast of north-central Californian…LA is not really all that appealing. After I moved to warmth in Miami on the the East Coast… I got to see the difference between LA and a real world class city like NYC (I had only been to a few other world class cities - Tokyo, London, and Paris)….LA is not really all that usual (it looks like many cookie cutter sunbelt cities in the southern USA). If I were coming to the USA from abroad…I would stick with going to NYC (the only world class city in the USA/history/art/food)…Miami/south Florida (America’s version of a tropical Riviera playground – has warmest winter weather in the USA )…San Francisco (cosmopolitan/art/education)…and Seattle (wilderness, green mts ). LA looks more and more like an ageing city with gridded freeways. The only other really unique city the USA is maybe New Orleans (culture/food/old subtropical port city).

After seeing much of the USA…sadly a lot of it looks the same.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,206,690 times
To avoid overlap with local and state forums, this forum has a single-city rule. Threads discussing a single city are considered off topic here. OP, if you would like to have this thread moved to the Los Angeles forum (or the Travel forum) and reopened, send me a Direct Message to request it. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or