Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times

Advertisements

LA is not very tourist-friendly. Unless you know someone there it's tricky to get around. Tourists, if they're going to a city at all, go to cities like San Francisco, Boston and New York because they have public transportation, are easy to navigate and centralized.

LA has many cool places to see, but they're not next to each other and walkable like in some other cities.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
People can visit whatever they want. There's nothing in United States law saying that "you have to visit NYC and LA" forcing domestic and foreign visitors alike to places they may not be interested in.

A huge chunk of people who come to the United States come to visit family, who may not even be in any of the major cities.

It is what it is. Anyways, LA still gets enough tourists to survive, so I think we will be fine. Of course, I'd want more people to see LA from my point of view (as a local, of course) to show that it isn't all Hollywood and fake, but no one has that many years to waste.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 PM

313 posts, read 450,607 times
I don't think LA is the must-see point of California. Not unless one has a voracious passion for entertainment industry and/or scantily-clad people on the sunny southern coastal beaches. I'm not saying that's all there is, but that's pretty much all that foreigners get to perceive. Admittedly, LA is not among my favorite part of the state.

A few years ago in Palm Springs I met some travelers from England (two couples NOT together) who had no interest in LA. But they loved Palm Springs and one of them drove to Yosemite and spent time in SF before moving on to the next state.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
LA is not very tourist-friendly. Unless you know someone there it's tricky to get around. Tourists, if they're going to a city at all, go to cities like San Francisco, Boston and New York because they have public transportation, are easy to navigate and centralized.

LA has many cool places to see, but they're not next to each other and walkable like in some other cities.

What he said..and I used to live there..I can think of many other So. Cal areas that will really leave you California Dreaming. So many of the people I know who have been there for the first time seem disapointed. It's a city where you do need to spend some time to get the whole picture. Fantastic place for dining,shopping, and gawking though.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:38 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
The traffic situation in LA is what kept me away. I've been there a couple of times to see relatives, but the time I had to drive it was an intimidating experience.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM

285 posts, read 703,276 times
I have to agree with tpk-nyc on this one. If you're accustomed to old, compact cities with great mass transit, Los Angeles is really inconvenient. Imagine going to a city such as London or Paris as a tourist. You get a room in a hotel, and your tour group takes you around in a bus or you can walk around or take a bus or subway.

How well would that style of travel work in Los Angeles?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:14 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've met a couple of Australians who entered the US from the PACIFIC, yet said they wouldn't bother even seeing LA (they went straight to SF) because it was shallow, plastic, Hollywood etc. It sounds to me as if they bought into the stereotypes. What would your opinion be of a tourist who came to the west coast and was perfectly capable of seeing LA, but just bypassed it?
I think Los Angeles has a lot to offer, but I usually tell people from overseas to skip it, unless they know someone or plan to rent a car. You can't get around LA without a car and enjoy yourself. If you rent a car, it's good to know someone there or someone who has been there. The city is so spread out, you might know to visit Santa Monica and Hollywood, but nothing else. I really like LA. However, I prefer San Francisco and San Diego a lot more, especially as a tourist.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
People can visit whatever they want. There's nothing in United States law saying that "you have to visit NYC and LA" forcing domestic and foreign visitors alike to places they may not be interested in.

A huge chunk of people who come to the United States come to visit family, who may not even be in any of the major cities.

It is what it is. Anyways, LA still gets enough tourists to survive, so I think we will be fine. Of course, I'd want more people to see LA from my point of view (as a local, of course) to show that it isn't all Hollywood and fake, but no one has that many years to waste.
I have a friend with an American father who was born in Charleston, SC but moved here as a baby, and when they went to the US they flew straight to San Jose AP via Japan and didn't even see SF! . They drove straight to Minnesota where his family is from and I believe the only major cities they went to were Phoenix and Minneapolis.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I think Los Angeles has a lot to offer, but I usually tell people from overseas to skip it, unless they know someone or plan to rent a car. You can't get around LA without a car and enjoy yourself. If you rent a car, it's good to know someone there or someone who has been there. The city is so spread out, you might know to visit Santa Monica and Hollywood, but nothing else. I really like LA. However, I prefer San Francisco and San Diego a lot more, especially as a tourist.
I heard the rail system is improving. I'd really like to rent a car for at least a day in LA, I wonder how hard it is to get used to driving on the right side of the road though.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Lots of tourists that come to the US have no interest in visiting any big cities. Many visitors to the Western US come here for the incredible outdoor attractions like the national parks, mountains, deserts and coastal areas. LA is intimidating for visitors from another country if they are traveling on their own - it is such a vast megalopolis that scares even many people from other parts of the US from visiting.

Another thing, the cost of visiting big cities in the US can be very expensive - not easy to find hotel rooms under $150 per night in decent parts of town in NY, LA, SF, Chi, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.