U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 7,263 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I work for a major home improvement retailer and corporate recently closed the store I worked in. I now have an opportunity to transfer to another store. Since this is a national chain , I'm not very limited. I have too many options, and was hoping I could get some suggestions from the fine folks on this forum.

What I'm looking for.

Some precipitation I'm in the high desert of California now, and I've tired of the lack of greenery. Very important

Conservative minded community with a good respect of the Constitution and individual rights . Important

Lower than average taxation, California is going to either have to drastically raise taxes or cut spending (how many politicians are going to vote themselves a pinkslip?)

Affordable Living For a 30k income. It's just me so I don't need large accommodations. Very Important.

Seasonal Climate, Sunshine and rain are both my friends, but too much of either is like a houseguest you cant kick out. And months and months of snow are something I'd like to avoid.

Lots of outdoors recreation. One of the great things about california is the amount and diversity of public land to enjoy. Very Important.

Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,762,701 times
You say that you want public land and the great outdoors, so that would point you to a western state. However, the interior west is moderately to extremely arid, so you won't find the greenery you're looking for.

For example, my home state of Colorado fits well except for the greenery part, which you only find here in the high country (and even there it's more of the snow-covered evergreen type then truly green). You might also have a tough time making it here on a 30k salary, particularly in the mountains (you'd be better off in a front range city like Colorado Springs or Denver, but cost of living here is higher than many places). In any case, the fact you don't want months and months of snow means you want to live on the front range corridor if you choose to live here.

You could try Western Oregon or Western Washington, but that area is known for being liberal. You could try more rural southern parts of those two states, where the liberal lean of those states might be counterbalanced by being rural. However the Pacific NW is anything but sunny much of the year. And this part of the country is even more expensive than Colorado is.

You could try somewhere back east, possibly in the appalachians (eastern Tennesee?), but you won't find the public land you're looking for over there in great supply like you would in a western state. Still, I know some Coloradans who have migrated that way for a more affordable rural lifestyle.

I think you'll have to either give up on (a) the greenery -- in which case you head to a western state like Colorado, Utah, etc, or (b) public lands, and go to the appalachians, or (c), the sun, in which case you go to the Pac NW.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 7,263 times
Thank you for your input tfox, sounds like I should loosen my criteria a little. I should say that just about anywhere outside of an outright desert or saltflat is more greenery than I am used to around here. So based on what you've said, if I had to loosen one it would be that one. What cities in Colorado and Utah would you recommend?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,762,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshyouah View Post
Thank you for your input tfox, sounds like I should loosen my criteria a little. I should say that just about anywhere outside of an outright desert or saltflat is more greenery than I am used to around here. So based on what you've said, if I had to loosen one it would be that one. What cities in Colorado and Utah would you recommend?
I'm assuming you'll get the same 30k anywhere you go in the country?

If that's the case I'd take look at Colorado Springs. Cost of Living is somewhat cheaper than Metro Denver and much cheaper than CA, and it's much prettier than Metro Denver with Pike's Peak towering over the city. In fact it has some of the prettiest mountain views you'll find anywhere. Plus, it's known for being conservative, which I know you said you liked. Taxes are fairly low -- income tax is below average and property taxes in Colorado Springs are about as low as you'd find anywhere Being pushed right up against the mountains, you're always just a few minutes away from mountain access, no matter where you are in town. For Colorado it's actually fairly green, with parts of town in thick Ponderosa Pine forests. Negatives would be that it's still a bit expensive for a 30k salary compared to some places, and it's a bit sleepy for its size.

In Utah, if you're open to a smaller town try Moab or St George, though both are desert areas -- I think you'll find both beautiful in a red-rocks sort of way. These two places are meccas for outdoor sports, particularly mountain biking. Moab is literally surrounded by national parks. If you need a larger city then Salt Lake City metro is your place -- although Salt Lake is pretty small as far as cities go and hardly has a rocking nightlife. Salt Lake's selling point is that if you like to ski, you are pretty much within 30 minutes of world-class slopes, whereas in Denver you're more like 60-90 minutes from the same quality. I should mention that some people dislike Utah's LDS focused culture -- finding it difficult to be outside the church and/or single in such a church-focused, family-centered culture. Others don't seem to mind.

You might also look into Albuquerque or Boise, though both are in desert surroundings -- again it is the interior west. Still, I think both would be worth considering.

Last edited by tfox; 12-15-2010 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 03:16 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshyouah View Post
Hello,

I work for a major home improvement retailer and corporate recently closed the store I worked in. I now have an opportunity to transfer to another store. Since this is a national chain , I'm not very limited. I have too many options, and was hoping I could get some suggestions from the fine folks on this forum.

What I'm looking for.

Some precipitation I'm in the high desert of California now, and I've tired of the lack of greenery. Very important

Conservative minded community with a good respect of the Constitution and individual rights . Important

Lower than average taxation, California is going to either have to drastically raise taxes or cut spending (how many politicians are going to vote themselves a pinkslip?)

Affordable Living For a 30k income. It's just me so I don't need large accommodations. Very Important.

Seasonal Climate, Sunshine and rain are both my friends, but too much of either is like a houseguest you cant kick out. And months and months of snow are something I'd like to avoid.

Lots of outdoors recreation. One of the great things about california is the amount and diversity of public land to enjoy. Very Important.

Thank you for your input.

You might look further east as well. Check out Tennessee, cities like Knoxville and Chattanooga would fulfill your wishlist.

Chattanooga, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Knoxville, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-15-2010, 03:21 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,564,992 times
Mississippi sounds like it would be good for you. Maybe Jackson or Tupelo?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:34 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,868,195 times
I would definitely second the recommendations for Colorado Springs. I think you'd do fine on that salary and love the outdoor ammenities just about any time of year. The weather is mild in comparison to the mid-west or even Denver. My sister, a California native like me, just moved there and loves it. Winter temps are cold, but she's only had a dusting of snow once or twice this season so far. Politically the Springs is very conservative.

If I were in your position, with your criteria, I'd choose Boise, ID. In fact, the only reason I'm not able to move there now is the lack of job availability for me and my husband. If you were guaranteed a $30K job wherever you landed, I'd choose Boise hands-down. Fun, outdoorsy city with a conservative mind-set and beautiful scenery. It is a little brown (arid climate) and can be gray in the winters, but it is far greener than what I'm used to here in AZ.

I hope that you keep us posted on where you land. I'm sorry your office closed, but what an amazing opportunity you now have. Very few people are as lucky, so best of luck.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
If you want greenery, move to the east coast. Much of Virginia (not NoVa), West Virginia or North Carolina will have the things you're looking for.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 PM

56,569 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you want greenery, move to the east coast. Much of Virginia (not NoVa), West Virginia or North Carolina will have the things you're looking for.
That's what I was thinking. Perhaps Upstate SC, Northern GA and West Virginia too. A sleeper could be New Hampshire, especially southern NH.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,359,150 times
Like Big City I was also thinking Va especially western Va, and NC, again the western part, W VA lots of greenery and mountains or southern Ohio.
And since you mentioned southern NH; how about southern Va or the northern half of NY., But all three of those will have 4 months of winter. I think you would get used to that and even enjoy, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, ice fishing etc and northern NY has the largest state park in the country - 6 million acres with small towns such as Lake Placid scattered throughout.
Winter months make spring that much more welcomed and enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or