U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Reputation: 8712

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly! I've long lamented the fact that gays and lesbians (gay men especially) feel the need to live in a "gay ghetto" and as a community strive for acceptance yet isolate ourselves socially from mainstream society. It's quite odd that such an intelligent demographic overall hasn't quite figured out the dichotomy of it all. Live where you want to live and stop being sheep-like!

Exactly. I can understand especially in this country, that many gays, would have no comfort level living in mainstream America. This hasn't been the most welcoming country for many of us. I think things are changing somewhat. Gays will be allowed in the military after all these decades. I think that act alone will have a huge impact on how we are accepted in this country. However gradual that acceptance is remains to be seen. One of my main reasons for not reenlisting was the predjudice gays had to withstand while on duty. I put up with it then but Im sure in todays world. I would have told someone where to go and then been kicked out.

So its time for a new chapter for gays in America, and part of that change is live and be where you want and need to be. A place that is your choice, and not part of a best place for gays list or statistics. It time to be free and just be who you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2010, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,040,567 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly! I've long lamented the fact that gays and lesbians (gay men especially) feel the need to live in a "gay ghetto" and as a community strive for acceptance yet isolate ourselves socially from mainstream society. It's quite odd that such an intelligent demographic overall hasn't quite figured out the dichotomy of it all. Live where you want to live and stop being sheep-like!
Agree with this. In most cities, the gay population is concentrated in one area of town, and most of them frequent the same businesses ranging from restaurants to bars to dentist to doctors who are also gay. Because of this, one city can provide an entirely different experience for someone who is gay than it does for someone who is straight (Little Rock for instance has a huge gay subculture and has much better gay nightlife than it does straight).

This is very ironic as gays are continually wanting to be more accepted by mainstream society yet have created a subculture completely segregated off from mainstream society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Reputation: 11136
I think one can argue that familial status is more of a "sorter" these days than sexual orientation. Urban areas are increasinly populated by all sorts of childless singles and couples inclusive of gays, straights, young and old. But, even then, there has been a visible increase in the number of young families in urban aeas too.
My gut tells me that gay ghettos develop primarily around a sense of safety and acceptance, not because there's an exclusive need to segregate oneself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 09:36 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is very ironic as gays are continually wanting to be more accepted by mainstream society yet have created a subculture completely segregated off from mainstream society.
Define mainstream. It's no so easy, is it?
Our society is getting more complex and more diverse. If one defines mainstream as that which is built around a straight suburban family model, can one blame anyone (gay or straight) who doesn't identify with that definition from looking elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Chicago, Illinois
3,047 posts, read 8,137,665 times
Reputation: 1373
Cleveland. I heard Cleveland is totally Gay. LeBron James had a quote about it in the paper. Other cities that are gay friendly include Miami, clearly San Fran, Oakland, and New York City. Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,160,729 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Cleveland. I heard Cleveland is totally Gay. LeBron James had a quote about it in the paper. Other cities that are gay friendly include every darn major city
Fixed it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 11:29 PM
 
Location: McKeesport
4,542 posts, read 7,439,139 times
Reputation: 3430
I have found Pittsburgh to be gay-friendly. I've never had a problem here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,160,729 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I have found Pittsburgh to be gay-friendly. I've never had a problem here.
isn't that where QAF was sposed to be set?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 AM
 
Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 519,937 times
Reputation: 103
Seattle is about as gay friendly as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 06:09 PM
 
465 posts, read 427,192 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agree with this. In most cities, the gay population is concentrated in one area of town, and most of them frequent the same businesses ranging from restaurants to bars to dentist to doctors who are also gay. Because of this, one city can provide an entirely different experience for someone who is gay than it does for someone who is straight (Little Rock for instance has a huge gay subculture and has much better gay nightlife than it does straight).

This is very ironic as gays are continually wanting to be more accepted by mainstream society yet have created a subculture completely segregated off from mainstream society.
At least where I live the reason for this is you get attacked otherwise. So we travel in packs. This is a "good ol' boy" "proud member of the KKK area" and yes I want to find a place where I can live on SSI and maybe a pt job if I get to where I can work again, and not get the heck beat out of me for being FtM transgender although being I'm not diagnosed yet I'm seen more as butch. I get some of your point. Personally, I'd like a list of smaller cities and towns where you're not discriminated against and tolerated if not accepted.

BTW, this is not an isolated town it's a mid-sized city in TN, but most of the Deep South not to mention Mid-West outside of big cities are this way, and in TN some of the big cities are horrible. I just believe in being practical. We've had churches and bars bombed here and they're not easily found either. But once they were found they've been bombed people harassed, etc. No good calling the police usually, because they themselves are "bubba redneck" if you will. I'm just saying we're not welcome everywhere yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top