U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 PM

161 posts, read 556,591 times

Advertisements

I've posted on here and even moved a few times, but am now looking for ideas of where to move next. My situation has changed a bit, so time for a new post.

I am currently in Texas, and have moved several times in the past 8 years with my job in retail which is transferrable. I only work part-time due to a physical condition for which I receive some disability payments.

My company has evolved into something I no longer feel comfortable working for, and feel it may be time for a change. I am not happy with Texas either, so I want to move before I start the next job search. Even if I quit my job, I will still have my disability payments and some savings, but know that wil not work long-term. So I need to move to a place where I am likely to find another part-time job in retail, hotels, restaurants etc... Finding a place like that which isn't freezing cold is not that easy.

Along with having available part-time job opportunites, here are some things I would need/desire

A smaller city without a lot of suburbs (under 200K)

Easily be able to find a 1bd apt under $550 a month

I can handle the cold, even though I don't love it. But I cannot deal with tons of snow that stays for months

Preferrably under 100 days of precip a year

Preferrably flat and easy to navigate. I can't drive due to my condition, and walk, use buses, and take cabs

Lower crime rate (of course)

Fairly conservative and at least 80% white population

I really don't want to live in a fast growing area where tons of people are moving that will become expensive in a few years. I don't want to live in a dying city either. Just stable or slowly growing.

Here are some things I don't care about

Nightlife/Entertainment/Dating Scene
Scenery
Diversity or Culture
High paying career opportunities
Schools
Taxes

So far, the best place I have found has been in Kansas. My only concern is that the city I am considering is lacking a bit in retail, dining places, and hotels, which may make my options for employment more limited.

If you have any suggestions, I would like to hear them. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:44 AM

21,197 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Given your criteria my suggestions would be Omaha (which is larger in population than what you're looking for, but fits otherwise) and Lincoln. Both have extremely low unemployment rates and a low cost of living.

Lincoln, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-16-2010, 01:47 PM

56,660 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given your criteria my suggestions would be Omaha (which is larger in population than what you're looking for, but fits otherwise) and Lincoln. Both have extremely low unemployment rates and a low cost of living.

Lincoln, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I was thinking of Lincoln too. Maybe something like Cheyenne WY, Evansville IN and perhaps LaCrosse WI.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:37 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,870,332 times
I'd move to Nebraska with your criteria in a heartbeat too, but wonder if the snow may be a little too much for you.

How about Boise, ID or Colorado Springs, CO?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 PM

161 posts, read 556,591 times
Thanks for the above suggestions.

I have also considered Nebraska. Lincoln seems to be a better fit, as it is smaller than Omaha and not so spread out. The snowfall is there, but it does not seem to be on the ground for the entire winter like places further north. I have read that Omaha is actually very hilly. Is that true, and is one part flatter than the others?

Boise has just about the perfect climate, but I am concerned about the cost of apartments. I know it is a super fast growing area, and rentals seem to be getting high all across the west. The cost is also a concern in Colorado Springs. I used to live in another part of Colorado, and my $425 a month apartment in 2002 now rents for over $800.

Cheyenne is also appealing, but the wind scares me, especially since I walk so much. It frequently is sustained at over 40mph with gusts to 100mph sometimes. I also looked into Casper, WY, but rents there are outrageous due to a lack of supply and high demand from oil workers.

I also once lived 35 miles fom Evansville, IN in Owensboro, KY before. I loved the people of the area. The only worry there is the higher unemployment rate, although it is below the national average at around 8%. I will definitely add it to my list though.

La Crosse seems nice overall, but is just a bit too snowy for me.

It seems that the borders of where I need to consider are I-25 to the west, I-75 to the east, I-40 to the south, and I-80 to the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.