U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times

Advertisements

Caruthersville, Missouri is more Midwestern than Grand Rapids, Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,957,409 times
Chicago is obvious. Michigan can be one of the most beautiful states if you'd really take a look. Ohio reminds of a mix between NJ/PA- ANd it is my fav Mid-western state. The twin cities are some of the most pristine cities in the nation.
I haven't really checked out the region as much as I would like.

I think of the intro music of "Rosanne" when I think of much of the midwest lol.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,711,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The Dakotas, Nebraska and Kansas are also Midwest states.

Cinci is totally Southern. It's right across the river from Kentucky, the city has a humid subtropical climate, residents speak with a Southern accent, magnolia trees grow all over the city.
Moderator cut: off topic Florida has a subtropical climate.
It snows in Cincy, and they dont have palm trees.

Last edited by Bo; 12-16-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,562,228 times
Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moderator cut: off topic but Cincinnati does indeed have a humid subtropical climate, much like Kentucky and Tennessee. South Florida's climate is true tropical.

The Wikipedia article also says Cinci is in the Upland South.

Last edited by Bo; 12-16-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,147,451 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: off topic but Cincinnati does indeed have a humid subtropical climate, much like Kentucky and Tennessee. South Florida's climate is true tropical.
No, Cincinnati is NOT Southern. It has certain Southern elements, but come on!

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 12-16-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:

The Wikipedia article also says Cinci is in the Upland South.
Who said anything about Cuba North?
The Central parts of Florida are subtropical....as a matter of fact, DH told me there has been ice on our pond in Ocala for several days.
I would hardly call Wiki the end all authority.
Here is a much better map for growing zones, which would indicate whether an area is subtropical or not.
National Arboretum - USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 12-16-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, Cincinnati is NOT Southern. It has certain Southern elements, but come on!

And since when is offering a different opinion a personal attack, sugar?
Apparently that one thinks endearments are personal attacks.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,753 times
Cool, thanks for all the input guys.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
But Indiana is also on EST and it is, without a doubt, Midwestern. I think dividing up the Midwest based on a time zone is arbitrary. I mean, in my view (and I think the gov't shares this view), the Midwest extends from Ohio to Minnesota, time zones be damned.

Yes most of Indiana, most of Michigan and all of Ohio are in eastern time. This is not how it is supposed to be however, as when the time zones were created all of Indiana and all of Michigan were central time as well. Part of western Ohio also was central. THis was changed in the first part of the 20th century for shipping and railroad reasons. The east coast bosses wanted it this way. If you get an old atlas from the early 20th century it clearly shows these areas as central time. Ohio is the only midwest state that should have any part of it in eastern time. The reason there is daylight till after 10pm in Michigan every summer is because the state is in the wrong time zone. A few years back I was in Boston and called my wife back home in Michigan one morning. The sun was up and it was daylight out there, but back home in Michigan it was still pitch black. Very strange to me that we could possibly be in the same zone as Boston 900 miles to the east, but it is. For some reason there are still alot of people who live in Michigan that erroneosly believe we ARE in the central time zone. I guess that is what seems logical to most people, but logical and reality are sometimes very different.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh, Louisville and Cincinnati are NOT in the Midwest. Not even close. Cleveland isn't really Midwestern, either.
Umm, Pittsburgh is not an East Coast city, so that leaves the Midwest unless you've unearthed a new geographic region. Louisville and Cincinnati are often referred to as gateways to The Midwest (from the South) and are not thought of as Southern cities, so yet another new geographic region??? And where do you suppose Cleveland is in all of this??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or