Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,354,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I'm from NYC and had a person tell me, New Yorkers tend to be more brassy than people from California. I agree, but I also think people from CA. can say F#$% you in such a sweet tone, you hardly realize the insult. I love Californians, I married one
Maybe its the bad English that you're confusing that with Really though, Californians do seem a bit more passive-aggressive than other people in this country (especially New Yorkers). I've always associated that with being tactful, but as I get older, I realize it's more about putting on some sort of image than anything else.

As for myself, well most people look at me and don't think I'm an American. Being asked "where are you from?" and answering with "California" or "LA" will frequently have the follow-up of "no really, where are you from?" Have I gotten any hostility for that? Not really, at least not to my face. More like curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 12:15 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,075,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I was blown off more than once by people in San Francisco when they found out I was from Texas. They were previously pleasant enough, but the instant Texas came up, they either just regarded me very coolly, or in one instance, just walked away before I could say thanks for giving me directions.

My dad has gone to the Boston area many times for his job, and he has had some unpleasant experiences just because of his accent, including being called a "cousin-f***er".
Kind of ironic for that city.
I thought they were all about getting on their soap-box and praising equality for all.
Anywho, you've got state vs.state animosity, then there's the case of different regions within a state not wanting to be associated with one another.
In California, the concept of urban transplant vs. rural hold-out is alive and well.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:15 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,661,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I'm from NYC and had a person tell me, New Yorkers tend to be more brassy than people from California. I agree, but I also think people from CA. can say F#$% you in such a sweet tone, you hardly realize the insult. I love Californians, I married one
That is because NYC is the best city in the world so of course we will be more brassy than everybody else

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
In Boston I got crap from people for being from NY......When I explained that I wasn't from NYC but from Rochester some people still gave me crap because we are still Yankee fans, the Bills are in the Pats division so "all New Yorkers are the same"
Yeah people always think that NY is only NYC. I think this is so, because most of the movies takes place in NYC.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 12-19-2010 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-19-2010, 01:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
Texans get it the worst.

The conversation could go from good to bad just by you mentioning you're from Texas.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:38 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,188,670 times
As a New Yorker, yes.

I rarely let on that I am from New York, though and no one ever suspects that I am (I'm often confused for Canadian strangely enough). Then people start in on how New Yorkers suck and how they are mean and rude. At this point, very out of character for me, but to live up to their stereotype, I like to shout, "HEY, F- YOU!"

This tends to actually diffuse tension and open the debate as to who New Yorkers really are.

The other think I have noticed is that the biggest haters of New Yorkers are (in no particular order): Texans, Coloradans, other Southerners, Social Conservatives from anywhere.

With Californians and Chicagoans there seems to be more of a 'friendly' rivalry. Urban people from almost any state also seem to be open minded about New Yorkers.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,948,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texans get it the worst.

The conversation could go from good to bad just by you mentioning you're from Texas.
Texans do get it bad, but I'd say people from the Deep South get the worst of it. But yea, Southerners in general have the biggest image problem due to all of the crazy stereotypes they're cursed with.

As for myself, I've gotten crap for being a New Yorker, but 99% of the time it's just in a light-hearted joking manner.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:54 PM

767 posts, read 1,736,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes. In the 80s/90s, when Colorado was growing rapidly, there was a lot of hostility towards outsiders who were changing the "way of life". Easterners, particularly New Yorkers, Californians and Texans were the biggest targets, even though most of the transplants come from the midwest.
Any state that regards people from somewhere else as "outsiders" is bumpkinesque beyond all measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
However, I have noticed on this forum there is a small but vocal anti-urban hostile bunch, but it is mostly politically motivated moreso than regionally motivated, and, of course I pay them no mind.
I've noticed this too. People outside of the cities hate the people who live in the cities, leaving the city people thinking ????.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander20910 View Post
People from NYC have it the worst, I'm starting to think 95% of people outside of the NYC metro do not like NYC, particularly the south.
People who say "we don't give a **** if you don't like us" and really mean it tend to not be liked, and I don't mean only people from NYC. Sitting here in CA, my Section 8 neighbors have this same attitude and if their house burnt down with them in it, this world would instantly be a better place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I was blown off more than once by people in San Francisco when they found out I was from Texas. They were previously pleasant enough, but the instant Texas came up, they either just regarded me very coolly, or in one instance, just walked away before I could say thanks for giving me directions.
I would. Just look at all the CA bashing that comes from TX and the other red states, many of whose residents then come to CA for vacation, expect to be treated with warmth and when they're not, come away grumbling about how people in CA are so rude, are "liberal elitists", etc.

Those very bashers assume victimhood.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,529,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I would. Just look at all the CA bashing that comes from TX and the other red states, many of whose residents then come to CA for vacation.
You're pretty much just proving my point. How do you think Texans feel when Californians not just visit, but move here in droves and then just b**** about how it's not California? It goes both ways, but I'm sure somebody as smug as yourself wouldn't ever admit that.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:21 PM

650 posts, read 1,322,055 times
Not at all.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,453,164 times
Quote:
Originally posted by sjnative
As for people from CA, yes, we receive hostility when we go to other parts of the USA. Everything bad that ever happened in CA or anything that a handful of Californians did that was disliked by others is blamed on any and every Californian.

The worse part of it all is that we're so used to people from other parts of the US moving to CA that we accept them unconditionally and when we move to other parts of the USA, we get the opposite.

Sickening, but true.
You know that's partly true. Most of my life when I've thought of California I thought of 1) shallow plastic hollywood types 2) SF hippies or 3) a haven for high profile criminals. I know that's not true, and that California's a gorgeous state with a lot to offer, but it's hard to shake the image.

As for me? I never got hostility, but I get ribbed about coming from Michigan--the worst economiy in the country, land of clouds and snow, all that stuff. I spend a lot of time telling my Southern friends that Michigan isn't as bad as they think it is. I actually enjoy meeting people from other parts of the country--especially if I've never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.