Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,706 times

Advertisements

Only from Northeastern transplant after learning that I was a native Floridian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
Quote:
Originally posted by ABQConvict
As a New Yorker, yes.

I rarely let on that I am from New York, though and no one ever suspects that I am (I'm often confused for Canadian strangely enough). Then people start in on how New Yorkers suck and how they are mean and rude. At this point, very out of character for me, but to live up to their stereotype, I like to shout, "HEY, F- YOU!"

This tends to actually diffuse tension and open the debate as to who New Yorkers really are.

The other think I have noticed is that the biggest haters of New Yorkers are (in no particular order): Texans, Coloradans, other Southerners, Social Conservatives from anywhere.

With Californians and Chicagoans there seems to be more of a 'friendly' rivalry. Urban people from almost any state also seem to be open minded about New Yorkers.
Funny, I actually like New Yorkers. The accent kills me. Besides I've always wanted to see NYC. Been upstate quite a bit though. But that's not NYC.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Native Philadelphians don't exactly give outsiders the warm-fuzzies.
Neither do Southerners that move to Philadelphia.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
The worse part of it all is that we're so used to people from other parts of the US moving to CA that we accept them unconditionally and when we move to other parts of the USA, we get the opposite.

Sickening, but true.
you might think this is unique to california, but it really isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I think New Yorkers from the NYC area receive the most hostility based on what I have seen and heard. Even a lot Upstate New Yorkers seem to have issues with them. The funny thing is, very few NYCers that I've met actually come anywhere close to fitting the stereotype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander20910 View Post
People from NYC have it the worst, I'm starting to think 95% of people outside of the NYC metro do not like NYC, particularly the south.
seems to be more of an issue of new yorkers not liking the taste of their own medicine. many NYers LIVE for telling people where they're from (when they weren't even asked), going on and on about what other places lack in comparison to the big apple. i know all new yorkers are not like this, but sorry, many of you do have somewhat of a superiority complex, and then wonder why people from elsewhere in the country aren't exactly fond of those from NYC.

there are these two older black women at my job who are from NY and talk about it constantly, just loud enough that they clearly want the rest of us to know where they're from . every now and then, you can hear them making little caddy remarks about texas....and to top it off, they're not very friendly at all. surprise, surprise....

it's not right to prejudge someone, but let's not act like any "hostility" shown towards new yorkers is completely unwarranted

Old 12-19-2010, 10:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Neither do Southerners that move to Philadelphia.
That is almost a non-occurrance, as this map from suburban Camden County, NJ clearly shows:

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

This is just one example of the exodus from the Philly metro. The flow is HEAVILY in a Southernly & Westerly direction.

If they are cool, we welcome them with open arms. That is certainly not the story I am personally told from the minute number of people moving in the other direction, however.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 PM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
New Englanders/Northeasterners/Northerners having total disdain towards Southerners...

Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
New Englanders/Northeasterners/Northerners having total disdain towards Southerners...

Northeasterners may have a disdain toward southerners, not ALL northerners do. Midwest states generally do not have a grudge against the south. At least here in Michigan i dont sense that people hate the south. On the contrary people from Mi (and other midwest states as well) enjoy traveling in that part of the country, rarely do I hear any bad talk about the south.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And Southerners love Northerners?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
And Southerners love Northerners?
southerners like anyone who maintains a kind and respectful attitude

Old 12-19-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
southerners like anyone who maintains a kind and respectful attitude
Yea right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.