U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 AM

221 posts, read 326,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I think New Yorkers from the NYC area receive the most hostility based on what I have seen and heard. Even a lot Upstate New Yorkers seem to have issues with them. The funny thing is, very few NYCers that I've met actually come anywhere close to fitting the stereotype.
Do you live in NYC? Actually, in NYC, I haven't run across rude people, but when I lived in Tulsa, OK, the rudest people I encountered were transplanted NYCers. I'm originally from upstate NY and had met some people from NYC I liked very much and others, so-so, but nothing like the arrogance and rudeness I encountered in Tulsa (early 1980's). There was a lot of stereotyping of Northeasterners. Maybe that was why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
southerners like anyone who maintains a kind and respectful attitude
I'm originally from upstate NY and that has been my experience. I like almost all the southerners I've met, and I've lived and vacationed often in FL and met many transplanted southerners from SC, GA, NC, AL, etc. The only southern I really didn't like is my niece's father who is a mess. (I don't blame that on the South; just on him, personally.)

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
southerners like anyone who maintains a kind and respectful attitude
Actually, when I have encountered southerners, it has in 99% of cases been very positive. However, when I was with my ex-, a Chinese from Hong Kong, that was a little different.

Once, in AL, we were pulled over for going over speed limit, and they detained us for several hours; scared the heck out of my ex.

Another time, at a beautiful MS state rest area, a former southern plantation style mansion, we were treated very stiffly and at arms length, as though we had something contagious. I almost forgot about that (in early 80's).

Still, I've very rarely met a southerner I didn't like, or a Californian, or a Midwesterner. I've rarely met an American I didn't like, as different as we seem to be.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:38 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,824,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Yes you did. That's why you remember it so vividly.

As for people from CA, yes, we receive hostility when we go to other parts of the USA. Everything bad that ever happened in CA or anything that a handful of Californians did that was disliked by others is blamed on any and every Californian.

The worse part of it all is that we're so used to people from other parts of the US moving to CA that we accept them unconditionally and when we move to other parts of the USA, we get the opposite.

Sickening, but true.
Probably because they might've come out here for that big-break and it never came.
They went back, left it in the dust, and every time it comes up they'll either get all emo over it, or man up and just leave the premises.

When trucking through the mountain states, I calmly tell people I'm from the desert region and that coastlines scare me.
That usually gets them off my back.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,196,631 times
As a native Texan, yes I've encounter some hostility when traveling around the country, but mostly it's just been curiosity. The worst hostility I ever encountered was here in Oklahoma, shortly after I moved here. I was at a farmers market, buying tomatoes. I was exchanging pleasantries with the old farmer, and somehow he got the idea that I was a native Oklahoman, and out of nowhere he started slamming Texas and he told me the only thing decent that ever came out of Texas was Interstate 35. I just handed my tomatoes back to him, and grabbed my $5 back out of his hand. I told him that money had come out of Texas, so I guess he didn't want it, and I walked away.

I've never gotten any hostile remarks about my living in Oklahoma. Mainly its just been ignorant remarks from people who think they know what Oklahoma is like, but in fact, have no idea.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 AM

2,109 posts, read 5,136,222 times
I live in Cali and have a southern accent. I've repeatedly been treated as if I'm somehow uneducated or stupid. This could probably go for just about any noticeable accent. When I lived in MA, anyone that had a strong Boston accent was also considered uneducated. Sort of a shame. Accents are so interesting and yet we're losing them.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 AM

6,855 posts, read 7,802,585 times
Yes. Back during those Bush years, when I lived in Houston and traveled north or to Europe, the assumption was that I as a Bush supporter. The reality is that the city proper trends democratic, including choosing Kerry over Bush. It was waring having to explain this.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
I just love how everyone assumes all Texans are Bush supporters. I rememeber I was in Maryland and one of my cousins friend asked "Why did you vote for bush?" I was just like "What?" and than he goes "You Texas people voted for Bush" and all I could say was "Dude, I'm only 14; I'm not even allowed to vote" and his only reply was "Well I bet yo momma and daddy did"

Texans just get it the worse of any state; we even have to deal with hostility from Deep Southerners. They have issues with us calling ourselves southerners.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,021,296 times
I was called an Obama Loving N- lover in Missouri (because I had California plates - but there is also very open hostility toward Californians in Missouri).

The worse thing before that was being called a "Yankee" in West Virginia. Ouch that hurt!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:32 AM

565 posts, read 821,817 times
Yes, being from downstate Illinois makes me subhuman compared to glorious, infallible Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or