U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:20 PM

774 posts, read 1,699,579 times

Advertisements

I know it sounds like a wierd question, but a good many of CD threads ask about how people from a certain area will be accepted somewhere else. It is known that unfortunately, biases toward areas and people from those areas do exist. My question is has anyone here encountered open hostility somewhere based on where they came from? I personally have not, but I have seen and heard about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 08:22 PM

23,660 posts, read 33,505,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I know it sounds like a wierd question, but a good many of CD threads ask about how people from a certain area will be accepted somewhere else. It is known that unfortunately, biases toward areas and people from those areas do exist. My question is has anyone here encountered open hostility somewhere based on where they came from? I personally have not, but I have seen and heard about it.
I did. A lot of people in Northern VA hate Virginians who aren't from Northern VA. I moved from Hampton (SE VA) to Alexandria (Northern VA) when I was 16 and caught some when folk found out I was from Hampton.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 PM

43,606 posts, read 52,806,666 times
Was in Hawaii when a couple of northeasterners decided to spend the evening telling me about how much Texas sucks - they had never even been here.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,982,342 times
Of course, I'm from NJ.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:42 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,852,624 times
Not really hostility, but some good ribbing. Was in Boston in '83, and when I told a stranger I was from Seattle, he replied, "Oh, I thought that city was wiped out by Mt. St. Helens". Pretty sure he knew better, and it was just an east coast jab. But sometimes I wonder...

Old 12-18-2010, 09:50 PM

6,531 posts, read 7,489,771 times
When I was in California someone read my jacket that said Michigan on it and promptly said "Michigan? why dont you canucks go back to Canada?) So much for the geography curriculum in the California school system eh? I also was told "we dont like midwesterners" by a guy in Fall River Massachussetts once when he found out I lived in Michigan. The most friendly and welcoming part of America is by far the south. Never ever met nasty people there.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,728,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I encountered it in DC, but that's because my cousins are ignorant and dumb as hell.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 PM

6,977 posts, read 12,515,295 times
From time to time when I was in the Air Force, primarily from people native to the southeastern USA. Evidently some didn't care for my New England accent, or much of anything else about people from the Northeast. Or Northeners as I or others were referred to as. Can't say I paid much attention to them.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:26 AM

757 posts, read 1,471,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
...Evidently some didn't care for my New England accent, or much of anything else about people from the Northeast. Or Northeners as I or others were referred to as. Can't say I paid much attention to them.
Yes you did. That's why you remember it so vividly.

As for people from CA, yes, we receive hostility when we go to other parts of the USA. Everything bad that ever happened in CA or anything that a handful of Californians did that was disliked by others is blamed on any and every Californian.

The worse part of it all is that we're so used to people from other parts of the US moving to CA that we accept them unconditionally and when we move to other parts of the USA, we get the opposite.

Sickening, but true.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 AM

8,937 posts, read 13,707,078 times
Not in real life, only over the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or