U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:31 PM

406 posts, read 1,260,192 times

Advertisements

Also I think it is relevant becusse seeing as how many people (not all) do not want to be surrounded by prejudice people I would think this information would come to be very useful to those who would like to know what they are getting themselves into as far as a relocation would go. This is a big issue for some. I'm not here to debate right or wrong with you although I appreciate your input on the matter. I am simply presenting the people with a graph that shows them bassed on www.splcenter.org how many of these groups are in each state and how many within within a certain amount of miles. All though in the TOP ten:

Top-Ten (1 hate group every 709 sq. miles)
#1) DC- 1 hate group every 8 sq. miles
#2) New Jersey- 1 hate group every 198 sq. miles
#3) Rhode Island- 1 hate group every 405 sq. miles
#4) Delaware- 1 hate group every 623 sq. miles
#5) Massachusetts- 1 hate group every 660 sq. miles
#6) South Carolina- 1 hate group every 889 sq. miles
#7) connecticut- 1 hate group every 924 sq. miles
#8) Maryland- 1 hate group every 954 sq. miles
#9) Tennessee- 1 hate group every 1,139 sq. miles
#10) Florida- 1 hate group every 1,289 sq. miles

step your game up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:33 PM

LOL, I knew this thread would controversial for some...

Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,833,125 times
DC is number #1 because it is extremely tiny in land area with by far the highest population density.

This land area crap is terrible. So is # of groups per capita, it should be # of people attending these groups per population capita to have ANY accuracy and relevancy.

NOTE: I am shooting this down despite my state being ranked #47 on the list.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
DC is number #1 because it is extremely tiny in land area with by far the highest population density.

This land area crap is terrible. So is # of groups per capita, it should be # of people attending these groups per population capita to have ANY accuracy and relevancy.

NOTE: I am shooting this down despite my state being ranked #47 on the list.

That is the great thing about it actually. Despite it having a small land area and being very dense. All it is supposed to show is what state you are MOST LIKELY to come across a hate group and in DC you ARE most likely, rather it be for these reasons or not!!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:24 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I was thinking it was more that many hate-groups have a political agenda so they would want to be where the politicians are at.

Granted few politicians would support something that's obviously a hate-group, but some hate-groups give themselves ambiguous sounding names and may be willing to use people who aren't racist for their purposes. Like groups that hate Jews will sometimes hope they can "turn" reasonable critics of Israel into Anti-Semites or at least use them for that purpose. Groups that want gays killed can sometimes hope they can use mainstream conservative Christians for their purposes.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I was thinking it was more that many hate-groups have a political agenda so they would want to be where the politicians are at.

Granted few politicians would support something that's obviously a hate-group, but some hate-groups give themselves ambiguous sounding names and may be willing to use people who aren't racist for their purposes. Like groups that hate Jews will sometimes hope they can "turn" reasonable critics of Israel into Anti-Semites or at least use them for that purpose. Groups that want gays killed can sometimes hope they can use mainstream conservative Christians for their purposes.
This was an informative posts

Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times
I don't believe this ranking at all. "Hate" groups have traditionally meant groups of ignorant, bigoted whites who hate blacks. Hard to see how New Jersey has more of these groups than say Alabama or West Virginia. The definition of "hate groups" used here is entirely bogus. A more interesting, useful, and accurate measure would be a list of the KKK membership by state, city, and county.

I suspect that these hate groups that I have defined here are dominated in RED states. The people who comprise these groups support the conservative ideology. Places like Utah, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, West Virginia, Texas, South Carolina, and so forth. Can't imagine DC being a focal point for these groups.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:37 PM

13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
It should be by population...

Not hard to understand why by land area doesn't make any sense...

Old 12-19-2010, 11:26 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,147,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I don't believe this ranking at all. "Hate" groups have traditionally meant groups of ignorant, bigoted whites who hate blacks. Hard to see how New Jersey has more of these groups than say Alabama or West Virginia. The definition of "hate groups" used here is entirely bogus. A more interesting, useful, and accurate measure would be a list of the KKK membership by state, city, and county.

I suspect that these hate groups that I have defined here are dominated in RED states. The people who comprise these groups support the conservative ideology. Places like Utah, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, West Virginia, Texas, South Carolina, and so forth. Can't imagine DC being a focal point for these groups.
Guess again. Although I LOVE California, you have absolutely no right to be so smug and point fingers when it comes to this sad list.

Get a damn clue, and realize that you are hardly immune to this ignorance. You folks lead the nation in several categories of this shame......

Old 12-20-2010, 12:16 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Quote:
Although I have doubts about SPLC I think you're being a bit regionalist in your defense of NJ. According to Statemaster, which I just remembered I can't link to, New Jersey has a pretty high rate of hate-crimes. You could say "well liberal states will report them more" but the total number they list for New Jersey is higher than New York and almost four times as high as Washington state. (New Jersey is nowhere near quadruple Washington's population)

Although it is true that from 1882 to 1968 New Jersey only had two lynchings and lynchings were predominately Southern. Also that New Jersey is one of the only states, among the original thirteen colonies, to never ban interracial marriage. The others being Connecticut, New Hampshire, and New York.

Lynching Statistics
Legal Map | Loving Day

Quote:
I suspect that these hate groups that I have defined here are dominated in RED states.
That's a potentially bigoted thing to say in itself isn't it? Sure many of the red-states were states that once had anti-miscegenation laws, but it doesn't always work. Kansas allowed interracial marriage before Maryland or Delaware. Kansas may have had more overall lynching than Maryland, but less lynching of blacks. The very Red-State of Utah had less lynching than Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or