U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 AM

555 posts, read 760,465 times

Advertisements

The SPLC considers any group opposed to amnesty for illegal aliens a hate group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 02:02 AM

711 posts, read 978,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Also I think it is relevant becusse seeing as how many people (not all) do not want to be surrounded by prejudice people I would think this information would come to be very useful to those who would like to know what they are getting themselves into as far as a relocation would go. This is a big issue for some. I'm not here to debate right or wrong with you although I appreciate your input on the matter. I am simply presenting the people with a graph that shows them bassed on www.splcenter.org how many of these groups are in each state and how many within within a certain amount of miles. All though in the TOP ten:

Top-Ten (1 hate group every 709 sq. miles)
#1) DC- 1 hate group every 8 sq. miles
#2) New Jersey- 1 hate group every 198 sq. miles
#3) Rhode Island- 1 hate group every 405 sq. miles
#4) Delaware- 1 hate group every 623 sq. miles
#5) Massachusetts- 1 hate group every 660 sq. miles
#6) South Carolina- 1 hate group every 889 sq. miles
#7) connecticut- 1 hate group every 924 sq. miles
#8) Maryland- 1 hate group every 954 sq. miles
#9) Tennessee- 1 hate group every 1,139 sq. miles
#10) Florida- 1 hate group every 1,289 sq. miles

step your game up...
Smh.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,944,914 times
The SPLC is very broad in their definition of a hate group, but anyway rather than groups per sq mile it would be more telling of your chances of running into someone from one of these groups by taking the total group population and look at the per capita state hate group membership.

Some state may have 10 hate groups with a total membership of 5,000 while another state may have 3 groups with a total membership of 50,000. If those states are close in population then the state with 3 would be much lower on the OP's list but in actuality you would have a much greater chance of running into someone from a group.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Nobody is "describing" hate as you say. I am simply taking the # of hate groups that reside in each state, the # sq miles in each state and calculated how many hate groups PER sq. mile *ARE* in each state.
When you list an organization as a hate group and put one group on the list and leave off other groups that do the same as these groups do but for another race or reason, you have described a group as a hate group unfairly. I don't consider any group a hate group until they commit a crime and why they commited that crime does not matter to me. All crimes are hate crimes and it is unconstitutional to give a worse sentence to someone who commited a crime because of a political opinion they hold. Read the constitution!

I did not see the NAACP on your list. It may be there, but I did not see it. My aunt fired her maid because she told her she would not be doing her house on a particular day because she got paid more for going to Charlotte and pushing whites off the street. To push someone off the street for no other reason than their being a different color of skin sounds pretty hateful to me.

The best way to determine which state has the most hate is to see the crime rate for that state and CD has that information already not only for states but also for cities.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c404.html

I probably should have left this alone because NC looks better on your "Hate groups" list, but in my opinion this is a better judge as to which places have the most hate.

States with the most hate groups could also be considered the most tolerant states. Groups cannot operate in an intolerant atmosphere.

Last edited by NCN; 12-20-2010 at 09:10 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 AM

8,233 posts, read 11,276,256 times
I find the area being used as a factor is misleading. DC has so little area the 9 hate groups make it look horrid.. AK, HA, VT, and ND come in with one while my own FL has 51... that's disturbing.... not surprising but unwanted.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,316,400 times
As a whole, America has become the land of hatred.
Hatred is by far the predominant emotion that reigns from coast-to-coast. That's what Americans want. Enjoy yourselves!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,945,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
As a whole, America has become the land of hatred.
Hatred is by far the predominant emotion that reigns from coast-to-coast. That's what Americans want. Enjoy yourselves!
I think you're wrong. Can I quote statistics from a "love for everybody" type of organization? No.
I think it's all a matter of perception rather than fact.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:22 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,316,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I think you're wrong. Can I quote statistics from a "love for everybody" type of organization? No.
I think it's all a matter of perception rather than fact.
Quotes are nice to read and feel fuzzy good inside.
I'm talking about daily observations of people's behavior.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:46 AM

15,521 posts, read 17,745,743 times
Terrible criteria for the ranking. It is so arbitrary as to be useless.

I think relevant factors could and should include the size of the membership of the hate groups as well.

One individual in 8 sq.mi. D.C. putting up racist flyers is a hate group. The entire population of Alaska could be (but is obviously not, don't jump on me) in a hate group, but D.C. will look worse.

Please try again.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,766,749 times
All this really measures is population density. DC #1 / Alaska #51. Big, empty western states rank favorably and tiny, densely packed northeastern states rank poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or