U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 AM

803 posts, read 1,003,911 times

Advertisements

lol it ranks 24th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,968,158 times
It would be better to calculate the ranking by percentages.
DC/NJ/RI have the highest population densities (It figures they're #1,2, and 3)

AK/ND/WY/MT have some of the lowest.

Basically, the list is pretty much going by population density

Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,979,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When you list an organization as a hate group and put one group on the list and leave off other groups that do the same as these groups do but for another race or reason, you have described a group as a hate group unfairly. I don't consider any group a hate group until they commit a crime and why they commited that crime does not matter to me. All crimes are hate crimes and it is unconstitutional to give a worse sentence to someone who commited a crime because of a political opinion they hold. Read the constitution!

I did not see the NAACP on your list.
I was kind of with you until this. The NAACP has some dumb people in it, but it's not a hate group. It was the leading the Civil Rights group, maybe still is, and "pushing around white people" was maybe necessary in parts of the 1950s just to get access to decent schools and the like.

I do think that to be a hate group you should be a group and promote hatred to some other group. SPLC I think, at times, seems to say if a group just disagrees with a civil-rights group it is a hate-group and I don't think that's quite right. Famous black writer Zora Neale Hurston was against Brown vs Board of Education as she saw it as patronizing and I think she supported even segregation for black nationalist reasons. I don't agree with her, think she's odd for that, but to see her as like a Klansman is in most ways a profound misunderstanding of an intelligent and complex woman. A group that opposes same-sex marriage is deemed "a hate group" by SPLC, but I think that's unfair and overly simplified view of things. And if one is to do that than many of the more militant gay groups, who burned copies of the Book of Mormon after Prop 8, should definitely be deemed hate groups and fat chance of SPLC doing that.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,915,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
As a whole, America has become the land of hatred.Hatred is by far the predominant emotion that reigns from coast-to-coast. That's what Americans want. Enjoy yourselves!
Yup, multi-cultural America, the land of immigrants, with a African American President, is the land of hatred.

The worst and most hateful country in the world.
Except, as Winston Churchill would say, for all the others.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,003,163 times
I'm sorry to say that this is a pathetic thread - good luck with it.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:54 PM

2,171 posts, read 4,200,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Granted DC is fairly small by land area but find it very interesting yet scary that at any given point there is roughly around 1 hate group for every 8 sq. miles... That is *alot*. They also have one of the highest crime rates, cost-of-living, divorce rates... Just not good at all. DC, you scare me.
One problem with going by groups per square mile is that you only account for horizontal movement. In DC, many people are moving vertically within and between medium- and high-rise buildings. In other words, if you approach the distribution of hate groups as an issue of volume (total space occupied and traversed), DC and other densely packed places rank a lot better.

And then there's the issue of population density itself: in sparsely populated states such as Alaska, Wyoming, etc. you may have to travel more to find hate groups, but in population clusters such as cities and larger towns where people actually live, hate groups may be more visible. Add to that the fact that much land in these states is off-limit to homesteaders, the methodology is less reliable. A person alone in the middle of an ocean will not be near any hate groups, but that's more of a theoretical situation than a likely circumstance.

Another complicating factor is that in many cases, it doesn't really matter where a hate group is based--the more ambitious haters will travel to find their targets (a la Westboro Church).

Old 12-21-2010, 07:11 AM

9,584 posts, read 10,936,973 times
The Southern Poverty Law Center (that's what SPLC is, if you didn't know) started out as a group working to free black murderers in Southern states. They planned to both overturn convictions and work against the death penalty. Apparently that wasn't a winner with even the usually reliable group of liberal donors, so they switched to naming hate groups, that is, people who have wished to maintain the preeminence of the White race. Cashing in on the larger movement begun in the media and academia, they've been successful in fundraising and have happily spewed their hatred for Whites. It's been a successful undertaking. I am sure that their CEO, Morris Dees, is far from the "Poverty" that their name implies they wish to alleviate, or rather to alleviate the possible poverty of their executives.

You may not like Westboro Baptist Church or the Northwest Front; but you could hardly accuse them of venal and mercenary behavior.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,633,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The Southern Poverty Law Center (that's what SPLC is, if you didn't know) started out as a group working to free black murderers in Southern states. They planned to both overturn convictions and work against the death penalty. Apparently that wasn't a winner with even the usually reliable group of liberal donors, so they switched to naming hate groups, that is, people who have wished to maintain the preeminence of the White race. Cashing in on the larger movement begun in the media and academia, they've been successful in fundraising and have happily spewed their hatred for Whites. It's been a successful undertaking. I am sure that their CEO, Morris Dees, is far from the "Poverty" that their name implies they wish to alleviate, or rather to alleviate the possible poverty of their executives.

You may not like Westboro Baptist Church or the Northwest Front; but you could hardly accuse them of venal and mercenary behavior.
lol. SPLC probably warrants some criticism, like any group, but making up random lies about them doesn't help your case and makes you look like you belong in one of those wacko WP groups.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
I don't think right-wingers who are against immigration, or homosexuality should be considered "hate groups."

However, if SPLC is going to include these groups, they need to be fair and include left-wing groups that are anti-Christian, anti-Conservative, anti-white, or share any of your garden variety far-left-wing views.

Last edited by le roi; 12-21-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,204,762 times
If this is supposed to be a list of the most densely populated states its pretty damn close.

Otherwise, it is useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or