U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-23-2010, 08:50 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,631,151 times
Reputation: 2694

Advertisements

great. You see at is a states rights thing. I see it as treason. I don't view people who fly this flag as American. To ME, it represents territories that wanted to leave the United States of America.
There are plenty of other ways to show support for states rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2010, 10:17 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I guess to some southerners, they will claim it as their pride in their southern state. To me, it is a flag which just gives me the creeps and as Chriscross309 wrote, I agree with that. It is what it is, a flag of rebellion and they're still rebelling and living the Civil War.
Is that so bad, CC?

What do you think the flag of "Don't Tread On Me" or the original "Betsy Ross" (in legend) flag of the 13 Colonies were? The Star Spangled Banner, if not a banner of rebellion? What was the original Declaration of Independence if not a declaration of rebellion? What was the Constitution and its Bill of Rights except a statement of affirmation that government derives its just powers from the constent of the governed. Which, in turn, was a declaration of rebellion against all previously accepted in the old world?

And so far as the part goes about still rebeling? Can you elaborate? Hell, a goodly part of the whole country is "rebelling" against Washington, D.C. It is not, anymore, just a "Southern thing."

And as it was, anyway, the Confederacy was never formed out of a desire to overthrow the United States government. This is why that "treason" thing is just plain silly...and probably reflects on what a lousy educational system we have, today.

Here is what it amounted to: American Southern states against American Northern states. It was not a repudiation of the original Declaration of Independence or the Constitution. Both of which had been mostly written by Southern men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC NoVA
1,105 posts, read 1,948,034 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
great. You see at is a states rights thing. I see it as treason. I don't view people who fly this flag as American. To ME, it represents territories that wanted to leave the United States of America.
There are plenty of other ways to show support for states rights.
what about the mexicans who fly mexican flags on their front porch? what about irish people flying irish flags on their porch? what about italians with their italian flags on their porch? is that treason? you're so ignorant it's not even funny anymore.

you see it as states who wanted to leave the united states of america, yet constitutionally, we were right. so really, we represented states rights by the constitution and the north represented sticking their nose into other states business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 11:20 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,631,151 times
Reputation: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
what about the mexicans who fly mexican flags on their front porch? what about irish people flying irish flags on their porch? what about italians with their italian flags on their porch? is that treason? you're so ignorant it's not even funny anymore.

you see it as states who wanted to leave the united states of america, yet constitutionally, we were right. so really, we represented states rights by the constitution and the north represented sticking their nose into other states business.
People flying flags of countries they used to live in in no way compares to the confederate flag. If these countries sole reason for existing was to break away from the united states, you would have a point. But these are just people hanging on to places that they used to live in. It's that simple. Apples and oranges. The flags of those countries were never part of the US and tried to break away.
Perhaps you should look into other view points instead of just calling everybody ignorant that doesn't agree with your narrow minded views. You have some growing up to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,021,296 times
Reputation: 3829
The first impression many people get of a person flying a rebel flag (especially outside of the Southern [Confederate] states) is that of a racist, ignorant redneck.

Doesn't matter if the person flying a rebel flag may be a highly educated, degreed, and a genuinely kind person - it just does not make a good impression.

Its a perception vs. reality thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC NoVA
1,105 posts, read 1,948,034 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
People flying flags of countries they used to live in in no way compares to the confederate flag. If these countries sole reason for existing was to break away from the united states, you would have a point. But these are just people hanging on to places that they used to live in. It's that simple. Apples and oranges. The flags of those countries were never part of the US and tried to break away.
Perhaps you should look into other view points instead of just calling everybody ignorant that doesn't agree with your narrow minded views. You have some growing up to do.
who cares? if they can fly a flag representing their heritage then i can fly a flag representing mine. we fought italy in ww2 and mexico isn't exactly the best neighbor to have. so what makes an italian being proud of his country that supported nazi germany any better than a confederate flag that stands for states rights?

states also have the right to secede. it's funny how you call me ignorant when you're the one saying that flying a flag in support of what the constitution says is treason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 01:03 PM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,631,151 times
Reputation: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
who cares? if they can fly a flag representing their heritage then i can fly a flag representing mine. we fought italy in ww2 and mexico isn't exactly the best neighbor to have. so what makes an italian being proud of his country that supported nazi germany any better than a confederate flag that stands for states rights?

states also have the right to secede. it's funny how you call me ignorant when you're the one saying that flying a flag in support of what the constitution says is treason.
Because Italy was never part of the United States and threatened to break away. Over the years, Italy has changed and is now friendly to us. The confederate flag was short lived and was only there during a time period when certain areas wanted to break away from our country. Like I said, two completely different things....... And I never once called you ignorant, you were the one to use that word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC NoVA
1,105 posts, read 1,948,034 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Because Italy was never part of the United States and threatened to break away. Over the years, Italy has changed and is now friendly to us. The confederate flag was short lived and was only there during a time period when certain areas wanted to break away from our country. Like I said, two completely different things....... And I never once called you ignorant, you were the one to use that word.
doesn't matter if they "changed." i don't care who "changed." did the italian flag change since ww2? so does that flag not represent what they did in support of hitler then? why should they be able to fly a flag that supported hitler and took hundreds of thousands of american lives fighting them?

the confederate flag doesn't represent wanting to break away from the united states, it represents states rights. and if the united states wants to deny states their constitutional rights then they have the right to secede. that's not treason, that's the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Way,Way Up On The Old East Coast
2,196 posts, read 1,734,148 times
Reputation: 1083
Default A Magnificent Flag Indeed !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
it's not a matter of someone being from the south. it's a matter of what they believe in. the civil war was over states rights, not friggin slavery and hate and all that evil south crap they teach you in schools up north. it's kind of similar to the arizona law thing going on now; arizona would be a confederate flag state and another state supporting obama's stance would be a union flag state. the confederate flag is a symbol for state's rights, not hate. however for some it is used as a symbol of hate such as skinheads but they don't stand for what the confederate flag stood for.
CelticGermanicPride !!! ... Excellent Post !

BRAVO ! ... Extremely well said and a representative ideal of a great number of American Citizens in these United States !

The Grand C.S.A. ( Confederate Flag ) is a beautiful sight to behold !

It is truly all about a proud heritage that is uniquely American !

Long may the magnificent U.S. & C.S.A. flags be flown unhindered by Americans throught this great republic, free from the insanity of those who are clueless about the historical greatness of America's "Old South" !

A Way Down South In The Land Of Cotton ................... Thanks A Bunch / Old Sgt. Lamar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
People flying flags of countries they used to live in in no way compares to the confederate flag. If these countries sole reason for existing was to break away from the united states, you would have a point. But these are just people hanging on to places that they used to live in. It's that simple. Apples and oranges. The flags of those countries were never part of the US and tried to break away.
Perhaps you should look into other view points instead of just calling everybody ignorant that doesn't agree with your narrow minded views. You have some growing up to do.
Maybe it is you who needs to step back and take a look at it...

I cannot emphasize this enough. Secession may well have been foolhardy, rash action, and unwise. Many a good Southerner thought so...including Robert E. Lee and Texas governor Sam Houston.

But whatever it was, it was NOT treason. And this blunt point was frankly admitted by no less than the radical northern powers of the day who would have loved nothing more than to hang the high-ranking Confederate officers and officials. They knew, though, admitted, that to do so would have made fools of them and vindicated the South. As Chief Justice Salmon Chase told Secretary of War Edwin Stanton..."If you bring these (Southern leaders) to trial it will condemn the North. For by the constitution, secession is not treason..."

In seceding -- right, wrong, desirable, whatever -- the Southern states did not wish to seperate themselves from the "United States" as we know it, and certainly not from the DOI and the Constitution. . They simply wished to sever a political connection with northern states who kept the name "United States" only by default. There is a huge difference.

The CSA constitution was modeled after that of the Old Union (which had been written mostly by Southerners). The First National Flag of the Confederacy was intentionally based upon the design of the Union. In fact, in forming the original Confederacy, many of the delegates wanted to name the new nation the "United States." The South offered to negotiate a mutually beneficial defensive and economic treaty/alliance with the North. Open up the Mississippi River for free trade and navigation. All the South ever wanted was to be left alone and peacefully go its own way. But again, even then, it wanted good relations with the "Old Union". However, the Lincoln administration spurned this offer and chose the path of military agression...and Southerners had no choice but to defend themselves and their homeland.

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-23-2010 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top