U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:19 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,238,355 times

Advertisements

What's sad about this subject is the obvious pathetic desire of Confederate-sympathizers in seeking some sort of acceptance by Americans. It is like Nazis desperately hoping that some people actually agree with them. The Rebel flag will never be popular or acceptable by any segment of the American public outside of a narrow group of racist-types. In California, the flag immediately signals that the individual flying it is not part of the mainstream and likely anarchistic and not very bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 02:39 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What's sad about this subject is the obvious pathetic desire of Confederate-sympathizers in seeking some sort of acceptance by Americans. It is like Nazis desperately hoping that some people actually agree with them. The Rebel flag will never be popular or acceptable by any segment of the American public outside of a narrow group of racist-types. In California, the flag immediately signals that the individual flying it is not part of the mainstream and likely anarchistic and not very bright.
california ranks 46th in education in the country. my confederate flag flying $#* has straight a's in the 7th best education system in the country. read the thread before you make ignorant comments like that. the confederate flag has nothing to do with racism, it has everything to do with states rights and less federal government. just because you see racists waving it doesn't mean they represent what the flag stood for.

all you people do is take the civil war, think slavery, and run with the idea.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:29 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,336,164 times
Default Love and tears for the Blue, tears and love for the Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I disagree with you, Caifornio. I am a Northerner, born of Northern parents and grandparents (I live in Philadelphia, PA).

First of all I do not think Southerners have some kind of pathetic desire to win acceptance from any other region of the country. The CSA was part of their history and they acknowledge the evils of slavery but do not apologize for the fact that great-great-Grandaddy Hiram Caleb Beaufort Crawford III (fictitious person) ran off at the age of 17 to wear the gray uniform in order to defend the South, which was being invaded.

As Americans we can feel some embarrassment about the treatment of the Native Tribes, and see great horrors in our historical past. On the other and we glorify Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Franklin, etc. despite the things they did which our 21st Century sensibilities find revolting.

Personally, as a non-Southerner, I am interested in the writings of people like Mary Boykin Chesnut, who wrote her diaries and articulated the Confederate point of view. I can appreciate the courage and the valor of Pennsylvania boys defending our Keystone State from invaders at Gettysburg and also the dedication and duty the Virginia lads had in defending the Old Dominion State at Manassas.

We are all Americans now. Can we put old bitterness and hatred aside?

Not more than 50 yards from my front porch is a lovely green park called Clark Park. From 1862 through 1865 it was the Satterlee Hospital grounds (it was not a permanent hospital we think of today - acres of long wooden barracks and tents) - arguably the largest Union military hospital during the war. It was here the wounded of Gettysburg were sent. I think of all the pain and suffering that existed there. I also think of the loving poet Walt Whitman, a Civil War nurse, who befriended the captured Confederate soldier boy Pete Doyle and grew to love that boy. I think of the veterans of the war who met years later on the battlefields and greeted each other with handshakes and hugs, old men now but once wore the Union blue or the Confederate Gray.

Okay, I'm rambling. Does anyone get my drift? Can anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,050,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I disagree with you, Caifornio. I am a Northerner, born of Northern parents and grandparents (I live in Philadelphia, PA).

First of all I do not think Southerners have some kind of pathetic desire to win acceptance from any other region of the country. The CSA was part of their history and they acknowledge the evils of slavery but do not apologize for the fact that great-great-Grandaddy Hiram Caleb Beaufort Crawford III (fictitious person) ran off at the age of 17 to wear the gray uniform in order to defend the South, which was being invaded.

As Americans we can feel some embarrassment about the treatment of the Native Tribes, and see great horrors in our historical past. On the other and we glorify Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Franklin, etc. despite the things they did which our 21st Century sensibilities find revolting.

Personally, as a non-Southerner, I am interested in the writings of people like Mary Boykin Chesnut, who wrote her diaries and articulated the Confederate point of view. I can appreciate the courage and the valor of Pennsylvania boys defending our Keystone State from invaders at Gettysburg and also the dedication and duty the Virginia lads had in defending the Old Dominion State at Manassas.

We are all Americans now. Can we put old bitterness and hatred aside?

Not more than 50 yards from my front porch is a lovely green park called Clark Park. From 1862 through 1865 it was the Satterlee Hospital grounds (it was not a permanent hospital we think of today - acres of long wooden barracks and tents) - arguably the largest Union military hospital during the war. It was here the wounded of Gettysburg were sent. I think of all the pain and suffering that existed there. I also think of the loving poet Walt Whitman, a Civil War nurse, who befriended the captured Confederate soldier boy Pete Doyle and grew to love that boy. I think of the veterans of the war who met years later on the battlefields and greeted each other with handshakes and hugs, old men now but once wore the Union blue or the Confederate Gray.

Okay, I'm rambling. Does anyone get my drift? Can anyone understand what I'm trying to say?
To honor that rag because some rich white elitist southerners wanted to retain their wealth is beyond me. Their obstinence (much like many on this thread) caused the death and destruction of thousands on both sides of the Civil War. And for what? States Rights? No way. Follow the money trail as always.

I too am interested in the writings of the Civil War from both sides. And I am not bitter of any southerner because of their history. I just find the appeal of a rag that caused so much death disgusting. Thank God the vast majority of southerners have enough good taste to disregard it. And there have been many southerners who have apologized for the atrocities their ancestors caused. As for folks who want to respect it, go ahead. It's a free world.

Sidenote: Ken Burns documentary of the Civil War is a must see for anyone who hasn't.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:56 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,797 times
"rich white elitist southerners wanted to retain their wealth." lmfao you are brainwashed. not me... you.

while i agree they wanted to retain their wealth, as any person would, most southerners regardless of their bank account wanted the government to mind their business. is it that hard to understand? if the only southerners who supported the confederacy were rich white elitists wanting to retain their wealth, then explain to me why so many southerners took up arms to defend the confederacy from a nosy bureaucracy.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:13 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,050,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
"rich white elitist southerners wanted to retain their wealth." lmfao you are brainwashed. not me... you.

while i agree they wanted to retain their wealth, as any person would, most southerners regardless of their bank account wanted the government to mind their business. is it that hard to understand? if the only southerners who supported the confederacy were rich white elitists wanting to retain their wealth, then explain to me why so many southerners took up arms to defend the confederacy from a nosy bureaucracy.
I am now convinced with the fact that your purpose in this discussion is not really about the Civil War or even the south for that matter. You have an issue with the federal government. Your charade amazes me. I guess you would be the stereotypical person waving that "rag": some sort of personal resentment and feeling of mistreatment by others. Most southerners feel otherwise.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:42 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,733,898 times
Default A Beautiful Sight ... The "CONFEDERATE FLAG" flying in the breeze !

Quote:
california ranks 46th in education in the country. my confederate flag flying $#* has straight a's in the 7th best education system in the country. read the thread before you make ignorant comments like that. the confederate flag has nothing to do with racism, it has everything to do with states rights and less federal government. just because you see racists waving it doesn't mean they represent what the flag stood for.

all you people do is take the civil war, think slavery, and run with the idea.
CelticGermanPride !!! ... BRAVO !

Indeed ... you are doing a fantastic job of defending the "Beautiful Confederate Flag" and it's great "American History & Heritage" on the good old CDF World Forum !!!

So many of our excellent CDF supporters of outstanding C.S.A. History have practically "thrown in the towel" as a result of attempting to maintain an intelligent and factual history forum discussion with a select few of those worrisome, whiny, racist screaming PC "Mental Midgets" !!!

You deserve a great deal of credit for presenting the historical facts to those on CDF who appear to be so sadly brainwashed by the pathetically "Looney" PC Crew and their warped version of American History !

Continue to proudly fly your beautiful "Confederate Flag" for the long term CelticGermanPride!

The good folks way, way up here on the old East Coast are doing so in ever increasing numbers !!! LONG MAY SHE FLY IN AMERICA !

Southern Pride , Heritage, and Great History Is Without A Doubt Alive & Well In These United States Of America !!! Dats What I'm Ah Talkin About Y'ALL !

Thanks Y'ALL / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-26-2010, 05:02 PM

Default "Southern Heritage" Is Here To Stay ... Count On It !

Quote:
not another one? lmfao shut up dude.

i never said all southerners agreed to leave the union because of states rights. some definitely supported the north's actions however they were greatly outnumbered. there were most definitely people up north who were in support of the south, just like there are people in every state today supporting arizona.

most wars are not a result of greed. most wars are a result for defense and survival. money is survival and security is survival. we fight wars for the survival of our people above all else. we're a people. we fight to make sure our country comes first. whether you want to interpret it as 'greed' is your choice but i don't agree with that. and fyi, there were numerous blacks willingly fighting for the confederacy. and if you really think the wealthy slave owners were the only ones supporting the confederacy, why don't you tell me why so may non slave owning southerners jumped onto the battlefield to fight for the confederacy? because they fought for what they believed in, they fought for the south's rights and against the government nosing into their affairs. just like i would've fought for the south and i'm a middle class nobody.
CelticGermanicPride !!! ... on The Money !

Indeed ... Yet one more pitiful example of a probable PC "MuddleHead" who doesn't know when to "Shut Up" ! Good Call CelticGermanicPride !

A Way Down South In Dixie !!! Thanks Y'ALL / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-26-2010, 05:07 PM

Default The "C.S.A. Flag" ... A Source Of Great U.S. Historical Pride !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I hate to go off topic. But even though I did vote for McCain in this last election, he was much better than the guy who ran against him in 2010. I can't totally speak for the MLK holiday fiasco here, that was before my time, but further proves things like that happen very often outside of the South. But when it comes to SB 1070, I support it, it is actually the measure to capture and deport confirmed illegals with prior criminal offenses, no problem there.

But when it comes to Confederate flags in Arizona, there are not many, the only one I can think of is on the highway here at the local Sons of Confederate Veterans chapter. I have two large ones myself, my family came from the Carolinas, Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee. So I see no problems with it, but respect is the key word here.
Desert kid !!! ...

Damn Well Said ... I appreciate you common sense and intelligence regarding this issue !

Long May The Beautiful Confederate Flag Fly !!!

Thansk Y'ALL / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-26-2010, 05:11 PM

48,098 posts, read 45,475,380 times
My opinion? The rebel flag flying in northern states sounds like an oxymoron to me. It happens, but it sounds very oxymoron that someone would fly a Confederate flag. The North won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or