U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:19 PM
JJG

13,250 posts, read 19,233,205 times

Advertisements

I had a co-worker from INDIANA who no only said they hung Confederate flags everywhere.

Been to Central New York state and not only did I see Confed. flags, but I even knew a couple of those guys who were proud to call themselves rednecks.

So it's not really limited to the south, guys....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 11:46 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,759,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Southern transplants
Could well be. I think sometimes it's advocates of states' rights, as others have suggested above, and, as suggested above, occasionally it's a skinhead thing, and I've also known people who displayed Confederate flags out of a general spirit of rebelliousness, and then, some probably are Southern transplants.

Monkeycookie, since you're from Ohio, one possibility that also occurs to me is that there's a particular kind of Southern transplant you're seeing here. I don't know what it's like where you live, but when I lived in Ohio quite a few years ago, many factory towns had enclaves of people from Appalachia (you know--hillbillies) who had moved north to the Midwestern industrial states looking for work in the factories. Don't know whether this is still the case with the decline in the old industries, but if so, this might explain some of what you're seeing. From what I used to see, those folks in the hillbilly enclaves were darn proud of their Southern roots.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,199,176 times
Symbol of the fight against tyranny. I fly the flag, have the bumper sticker, and I'm in the heart of the feds' support base - the BosWash corridor and liberal Northeastern NJ

No different than celebrating the 4th of July.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 AM

5,101 posts, read 6,885,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Most of West Virginia has the right to fly a rebel flag if they want to. These are the counties that voted to secede from the US along with the rest of Virginia.

The population in those counties at that time really didn't amount to anything. There still really isn't a lot of people there.

These people that fly "rebel flags" now do it to be full of hate, and could care less about "state's rights"

Old 12-20-2010, 08:43 AM

17,391 posts, read 19,658,084 times
This is the United States of America, not Confederate States of America. Sorry guys, but the bloodiest war in our nation's history is long over. And the United States of America won in case you weren't paying attention.

As for flying the Confederate flag, doing so to show southern cultural pride is fine. For any other reason is just plain stupid. If you believe in state's rights, then fly your state flag. That makes a lot more sense.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:51 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,647,519 times
I think flying the confederate flag for any reason is treason. It is a flag that represents a group wanting to cut ties with the US. A bunch of traitors in my book.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 AM

5,101 posts, read 6,885,067 times
The flag that is being displayed isn't even the real southern flag!

This one has KKK written all over it!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:33 AM

2,209 posts, read 3,626,453 times
People who fly the confed. flag need to hit the history books again, clearly a sign of our education system gone awry.

To those who say it's just a 'rebellious' thing or politically charge thing would be like a group of people using the swastika flag to just mean 'change'.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 AM

15,187 posts, read 31,551,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I think flying the confederate flag for any reason is treason. It is a flag that represents a group wanting to cut ties with the US. A bunch of traitors in my book.
If it weren't for treason we'd still belong to England.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 AM

3,192 posts, read 4,148,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Was not, did not, and could not be treason. The whole idea of States Rights was very legit back then, not one Confederate was ever tried or executed for treason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The flag that is being displayed isn't even the real southern flag!

This one has KKK written all over it!
The flag we are all familiar with is the soldier's flag. The Confederate Battle Flag/Naval Jack. And no, it doesn't have KKK all over it, it may have SCV all over it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
People who fly the confed. flag need to hit the history books again, clearly a sign of our education system gone awry.

To those who say it's just a 'rebellious' thing or politically charge thing would be like a group of people using the swastika flag to just mean 'change'.
The Confederate flag didn't have a genocidal government under it, they are not comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or