U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:01 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times

Advertisements

I'm only gonna say this about the Confederate Flag....

Some of you can take pride in it all ya want. Go ahead, no one's stopping you or can stop you.

But YOU need to understand that the flag you defend so much doesn't mean the same as you see it for others. You can say "states rights" all ya want. And that may be true, but one of those rights were rights to keep slaves. Like it or not, that's always gonna be associated with "Confederate Pride". Go to Prairie View A&M or Southern or any HBCU you can think of and ask the students (and Staff) how they feel about it.

That flag is also a symbol of a time where the country was even more divided than it has ever been. And not just with the Civil War... Jim Crow era. For alot of people, it's nothing but a symbol of a bad time.

Of course, it's NOT the only flag that brings back unwanted memories...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:14 PM

48,186 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm only gonna say this about the Confederate Flag....

Some of you can take pride in it all ya want. Go ahead, no one's stopping you or can stop you.

But YOU need to understand that the flag you defend so much doesn't mean the same as you see it for others. You can say "states rights" all ya want. And that may be true, but one of those rights were rights to keep slaves. Like it or not, that's always gonna be associated with "Confederate Pride". Go to Prairie View A&M or Southern or any HBCU you can think of and ask the students (and Staff) how they feel about it.

That flag is also a symbol of a time where the country was even more divided than it has ever been. And not just with the Civil War... Jim Crow era. For alot of people, it's nothing but a symbol of a bad time.

Of course, it's NOT the only flag that brings back unwanted memories...
It certainly brings back bad memories for me. I went to high school in the South with students who frequently wore t-shirts with the Confederate flag on them. Georgia's state flag have the rebel flag on it. It angered me to see such things. If you were to criticize the Confederate flag, it came close to fighting words for some people. For me, it is symbol of bad things. Being the descendant of slaves, it have a bad meaning for me.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:18 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It certainly brings back bad memories for me. I went to high school in the South with students who frequently wore t-shirts with the Confederate flag on them. Georgia's state flag have the rebel flag on it. It angered me to see such things. If you were to criticize the Confederate flag, it came close to fighting words for some people. For me, it is symbol of bad things. Being the descendant of slaves, it have a bad meaning for me.
I live just a couple miles away from Southwest High School here in FW. Their mascot is the Rebels and, as you probably figured out before gettin' to this part of the sentence, they hung and carried Confed. flags all the time.

I didn't go there, but considering the demographic of the school NOW, I highly doubt you'd see very many of them....

Old 12-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I live just a couple miles away from Southwest High School here in FW. Their mascot is the Rebels and, as you probably figured out before gettin' to this part of the sentence, they hung and carried Confed. flags all the time.

I didn't go there, but considering the demographic of the school NOW, I highly doubt you'd see very many of them....
I used to live in Ft. Worth, near the Las Vegas Trail area. My last trip to Texas, I was in Dallas. I never saw a Confederate flag there. I would not expect to see the Confederate flag in large urban areas.
What was interesting about my high school is that our mascot was the Patriots.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:33 PM
JJG

Quote:
I used to live in Ft. Worth, near the Las Vegas Trail area. My last trip to Texas, I was in Dallas. I never saw a Confederate flag there. I would not expect to see the Confederate flag in large urban areas.
I've only seen a couple. (I was only born in '88)

But with Southwest, they were doin' the Confederate Flag thing back in the 60's and early 70's (probably longer) when this part of the city wasn't exactly the most diverse place in the world. Now, Southwest is alot more diverse.

And I don't spend too much time by Las Vegas Trail...

Old 12-26-2010, 09:49 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,241,018 times
The Confederate flag is important to just a small percentage of Americans and mostly to those disenfranchised angry and somewhat lacking in self-esteem and education. One would never see the flag displayed in any respectable location or circumstance since it signifies such evil and disgrace. That is why white supremacists and white guys in prisons seem attracted to the Confederate flag; they are social outcasts and violent people who need close police surveillance.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I've only seen a couple. (I was only born in '88)

But with Southwest, they were doin' the Confederate Flag thing back in the 60's and early 70's (probably longer) when this part of the city wasn't exactly the most diverse place in the world. Now, Southwest is alot more diverse.

And I don't spend too much time by Las Vegas Trail...
Same with where I lived. Actually, when I moved to Paulding County in 1997, it was about 3.9% Black(low by Georgia standards). It was certainly a culture shock. The Black population went up later on and there were more African-Americans living there in 2000. In 2001, my high school banned shirts with Confederate flags on them. I was happy, but alot of students were mad. Some wore the shirts to school anyway. Some got in trouble for it.
When I lived in Marietta,GA(much closer to Atlanta, and much more diverse), I don't remember seeing one Confederate flag. Actually, the only place I saw it was at a monument. It was strange that one of the high schools, Joseph Wheeler High School was named after a Confederate general. It is a very diverse high school. I think it goes back to when it was first in operation, in 1965.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,784,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeycookie View Post
In my part of Ohio you see people with confederate flags flying on thier homes and I don't understand becuse this is a northern state that fought for the Union and when I ask them they act pround of it. Can some one please help me understand?
Flag Shmag its a free country and they can put up whatever they want...even the crooked cross.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,506,110 times
I have seen rebel flags in Ohio, New York, Pennsylvanian, and California in small town and rural areas. Not very common, but I have seen it on multiple occasions where one may not expect. I think for most who display it up north it represents a rural or "redneck" type lifestyle. Like people who enjoy country music, trucks, off-roading, or hunting. Not necessarily a racist degenerate thing.

For example take this off-road truck event video. It's located in Oho near the Pennsylvania border, a little over an hour away from both Cleveland and Pittsburgh. You will see people with rebel flags on their trucks in the video (ironically at a place called Yankee Lake).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1EbxuIb7aM

Old 12-27-2010, 10:27 AM

687 posts, read 1,374,885 times
Quote:
I've lived in Dallas almost ten years and I can't specifically recall ever seeing one here, except on the occasional large pickup truck that looks like it's probably in from an outlying rural area. I can't imagine what would happen if somebody started flying a Confederate flag in my neighborhood--I'm pretty sure it would not go over well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or