U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,747,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The population in those counties at that time really didn't amount to anything. There still really isn't a lot of people there.
Those counties held nearly half the population of the 50 counties.

According to the WV State Archives-

"No other state serves as a better example of this than West Virginia, where there was relatively equal support for the northern and southern causes."

West Virginia, the Other History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 04:27 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,162,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Symbol of the fight against tyranny. I fly the flag, have the bumper sticker, and I'm in the heart of the feds' support base - the BosWash corridor and liberal Northeastern NJ

No different than celebrating the 4th of July.
Yikes!

Old 12-20-2010, 04:33 PM

465 posts, read 427,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
it's not a matter of someone being from the south. it's a matter of what they believe in. the civil war was over states rights, not friggin slavery and hate and all that evil south crap they teach you in schools up north. it's kind of similar to the arizona law thing going on now; arizona would be a confederate flag state and another state supporting obama's stance would be a union flag state. the confederate flag is a symbol for state's rights, not hate. however for some it is used as a symbol of hate such as skinheads but they don't stand for what the confederate flag stood for.
I know an awful lot of hatemongers that love the confederate flag and the KKK and other hate groups take pics of it all the time. People will have to try harder to convince me possibly because I've lived all of my life in "redneckville" the areas I'm from are at least 75% racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. When there's just as big of a vocal group that's not prejudiced I'll agree until then I will call it "hate rag."

Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,136,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
I know an awful lot of hatemongers that love the confederate flag and the KKK and other hate groups take pics of it all the time. People will have to try harder to convince me possibly because I've lived all of my life in "redneckville" the areas I'm from are at least 75% racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. When there's just as big of a vocal group that's not prejudiced I'll agree until then I will call it "hate rag."
The Sons of Confederate Veterans doesn't use it for prejudiced reasons. Look them up.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,985,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I have never seen a confederate flag in Minnesota, which is a good thing as it is a symbol of ignorance, slavery and opression.

I've seen a number in the Eastside of St Paul, Maplewood, North St Paul area. There's a rather large one flying off this one house on Larpenteur Avenue. I remember seeing one down on Hwy 61 down towards Winona a few years back.

I wish Minnesotans had a flag we could relate too. There really isn't any flag other than the US one we have to feel attached too. It sucks that our state flag is so boring.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
I've seen some in central Pennsylvania, but it's worth remembering that Gettysburg is nearby, and there are a fair number of Sons of Confederate Veterans in the area.

Of course, I think that "rednecks" want some way to identify themselves, and so the Confederate flag is used regardless of where they live. Hell, I've seen vehicles with Confederate flags on them in California. I've also seen a few "Copperheads" in southern Illinois.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
I've seen several confederate flags in a largely caucasian, blue collar city in Ontario, Canada. I think it either represents white pride, rebellion, rough and tumbleness, anti-authoritarianism, or indivuality depending on the particular Canadian who flies it.

I personally know Canadians who display it and do so either because they are Liberterian or they just like "pickup truck and 'larry the cable guy'" style culture
I've heard it's different with Canada. Like the song "The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down" is Canadian I believe. The British Empire, which Canada was still a part of in 1861, related to some things about the South as the South traditionally cherished its British past more than the North. Also for Canadians who don't like the US the Confederate flag could be symbolic of a group rebelling against the US.

That could be all wrong about Canada, but in other countries it can be viewed different. For example I've heard some of Brazil's "Confederados" fly the flag even in the cases when they're half-black.

topic three (http://www.comm.unt.edu/histofperf/tonyspenser/Confederados%20in%20Modern%20Brazil.htm - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1bVqB7gGKk

I read once that Rosalynn Carter had some Confederado relatives.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...or-sao-paulo/2

Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,862,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Holy Crap!

I wasn't expecting that!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,948,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I have never seen a confederate flag in Minnesota, which is a good thing as it is a symbol of ignorance, slavery and opression.
seems you're the ignorant one here.

noone, even southerners, deny that a lot of people use it as a symbol for hate but that's not what the flag was about. i'm not a skinhead and i have the confederate flag on my dakota's rear window and i have one on the back of my jet ski. i'm for states rights. i'm for arizona. you're liberal; you people hate generalizations on people (like you claim az is doing to hispanics) yet you're making them right now against people with a confederate flag and you people call out ignorance yet your statement is one of the most ignorant i've seen. you're a hypocrite.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 12-20-2010 at 08:59 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 09:58 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,570,502 times
I've seen a couple of those ugly hate symbols in Southern Minnesota, mostly in rural towns like Good Thunder and Lake Crystal. To be fair, I don't think (at least I HOPE NOT) the people flying them are doing it to be racist, just that they embrace a "country" way of life, although some may really be racist. Still, it turns my stomach to see those ugly symbols of oppression. I equate the confederate flag to the Nazi flag. Same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or