U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 01:33 PM

134 posts, read 100,305 times

Advertisements

They will mostly do it out of racist reasons. When I see the flag flown in the north ( by defintion any state above maryland, kentucky, missouri, oklahoma, or west of texas) it is mostly out of racist reasons. Though it seems to be a sign of "rural" pride. If the flag was flown proudly or in a trailer park in the south I would not bat an eye. But seeing that flag in outside the south is just weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:47 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
They will mostly do it out of racist reasons. When I see the flag flown in the north ( by defintion any state above maryland, kentucky, missouri, oklahoma, or west of texas) it is mostly out of racist reasons. Though it seems to be a sign of "rural" pride. If the flag was flown proudly or in a trailer park in the south I would not bat an eye. But seeing that flag in outside the south is just weird.
i have family in the north with confederate flags. how do you know those northerners you see didn't have ancestors in the south? a lot of them probably did considering if you go back 10 generations we have well over 1,000 great grandparents. and how do you know they're not just for states rights? most of them are if you actually talked to them. i've spent a lot of time up north on trips to the adirondacks and new england and i've had lots of conversations with people that have confederate flags on their vehicle. most of them said for states rights, some put it simply and said they love the south, and a couple were just slavery loving mfers completely ignorant of what the flag is meant to stand for. those few people give the flag a bad name for the rest of us who display it in its real meaning and now you all assume we're the aholes. so you people call people who fly the flag ignorant when in reality you're the ones who are ignorant.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM

687 posts, read 1,374,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i have family in the north with confederate flags. how do you know those northerners you see didn't have ancestors in the south? a lot of them probably did considering if you go back 10 generations we have well over 1,000 great grandparents. and how do you know they're not just for states rights? most of them are if you actually talked to them. i've spent a lot of time up north on trips to the adirondacks and new england and i've had lots of conversations with people that have confederate flags on their vehicle. most of them said for states rights, some put it simply and said they love the south, and a couple were just slavery loving mfers completely ignorant of what the flag is meant to stand for. those few people give the flag a bad name for the rest of us who display it in its real meaning and now you all assume we're the aholes. so you people call people who fly the flag ignorant when in reality you're the ones who are ignorant.
And therein lies the inherent problem--the flag means different things to different people. "What the flag is meant to stand for" in your opinion is, well, just your opinion and not a fact.

I think I understand what the flag means to my friend TexasReb, and while I don't share his southern heritage or enthusiasm for the Confederacy, I respect it because it's where he came from and he's proud of his roots. I've never seen a post from him that leads me to believe he has a racist bone in his body, even though he's a Texas conservative who displays the Confederate battle flag, which would probably lead many to come to the conclusion that he must be a racist. By the same token, I have run across people who are blatantly racist and display the flag for that reason, which I find disgusting. I've also run across people who display the flag denying there is any racial statement to it, but it became obvious very quickly that they were simply telling me what I wanted to hear.

Quite frankly, I don't see the flag very often here in North Texas and don't really think about it much. I don't choose to associate myself with the flag because (1) it isn't a part of my heritage and (2) most people have pre-conceived notions about one who displays that flag and that's not something I want to be on the defense about, considering (1). However, I have known enough good caring people who simply take pride in their region and see the flag as nothing more than a symbol of where they come from. After living in a southern state for a few years, you learn pretty quickly that more often that not those who you might tag for a racist by the way they look, dress, or what symbols or bumper stickers they have on their vehicle are actually some of the kindest no matter the color of your skin.

I guess I have no desire to stick a Confederate battle flag on my car or home, but I've learned not to immediately draw conclusions about people who do.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,579 times
what the flag is meant to stand for isn't my opinion, it's a fact that northerners are ignorant of. they're ignorant of the flag. all they learn in school is how evil the south is. i've heard it all; i have cousins in school up north.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:54 PM

687 posts, read 1,374,460 times
That's just incorrect--it is YOUR opinion. As I stated above, it represents something totally different to others. You may not like that, but that's just how it is and that's basically why flags are what they are. Even the American flag means different things to different people (many believe the flag represents their right to burn it if they so choose, while others vehemently disagree). I grew up in a western state and we learned about the Confederate battle flag, the war, and everything else. I wasn't told that the south was "evil," just that they were wrong on the issue of slavery and they lost the war. End of story. Learning about the Civil War didn't stand out to me any more than learning about other American conflicts. I assure you that the vast majority of people outside the south don't really give the Civil War a second thought.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:55 PM

821 posts, read 1,253,976 times
I see quite a few in southwestern Pennsylvania but they are usually in trailer parks or on houses that are about to fall in. I don't see them in middle to upper-class areas.

This reminds of an episode of the SIMPSONS, where the schools in that state had a contest to redesign to the state flag of wherever Springfield is located. The representative from Springfield said, "Our state flag is an embarrassment, (the Confederate flag is shown) considering we are a northern state." lol

I am originally from a state (WV) that sent a good number of men to both sides. My Italian side arrived after the Civil War ended (1910's), but the family that was there, according to family records, fought for the Union, which I think was the right thing to do.

I see them in West Virginia too, which was a border state. Like in PA, they are usually spotted not in the best areas.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:14 PM

71,937 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Really? I don't think so. In-fact the Confederate flag is viewed quite negatively in much of the nation and often signifies a racist or Tea bagger.
not necessarily. Much of the south including some parts of Texas fly or approve of the flag and these people are not necessarily racists or tea baggers. I know a few of them.

Nita

Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM

262 posts, read 463,597 times
Im from the Netherlands and lately I even saw some chopper guys using these flags...they obviously have nothing to do with slavery or racist or whatever, just about trying to show how rebel they are.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,413,324 times
I see a decent number here in Southern, N.J. I think it's because many people here feel more of a connection with the "red-neck way of life" (for lack of a better term) and feel that the Rebal Flag represents it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Naw, they're transplanted New Jersey Shore people - like Snooky and "The Situation."
Who are from Staten Island (sorry if I trolled)

Old 12-22-2010, 03:35 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,858,898 times
I'm all for state's rights! But you woun't catch me dead with a rebel flag! Ever!

The inmature rednecks that fly that flag here in WV do it to bring attention to themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or