U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
That's just incorrect--it is YOUR opinion. As I stated above, it represents something totally different to others. You may not like that, but that's just how it is and that's basically why flags are what they are. Even the American flag means different things to different people (many believe the flag represents their right to burn it if they so choose, while others vehemently disagree). I grew up in a western state and we learned about the Confederate battle flag, the war, and everything else. I wasn't told that the south was "evil," just that they were wrong on the issue of slavery and they lost the war. End of story. Learning about the Civil War didn't stand out to me any more than learning about other American conflicts. I assure you that the vast majority of people outside the south don't really give the Civil War a second thought.
the fact is the confederate flag didn't stand for slavery. that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

i also don't think about the civil war in the 1860s any more than a northerner. i'm sick of northerners assuming it's on our mind all the time. i think about it just as much as you do. however, the civil war isn't over yet. we're still fighting for states rights; arizona and its "allies" are an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM

687 posts, read 1,374,178 times
It doesn't stand for slavery to YOU. It might to a person who is descended from slaves. That's my point. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else.

The Civil War is very much over. We are not killing each other over slavery or states' rights last I checked. The debate over the extent of states' rights, however, will likely always be a point of contention in American politics.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:05 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Quote:
.Chriscross309...snipped...These people that fly "rebel flags" now do it to be full of hate, and could care less about "state's rights"
that is really a broad statement. How do you know what everyone thinks or feels.....

Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
It doesn't stand for slavery to YOU. It might to a person who is descended from slaves. That's my point. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else.

The Civil War is very much over. We are not killing each other over slavery or states' rights last I checked. The debate over the extent of states' rights, however, will likely always be a point of contention in American politics.
because they are ignorant of the flag's history. it doesn't stand for slavery, it stands for slavery to ignorant people.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,152,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
tea baggers
I know that this term is considered to be normal discourse on news shows and the internet, but if you look up the origins of it, it is quite offensive, and intended to be.

Back to the original topic, I think flying that flag is dumb, frankly.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Quote:
..shoe01...I know that this term is considered to be normal discourse on news shows and the internet, but if you look up the origins of it, it is quite offensive, and intended to be.
I have heard this said before. What does it mean....link ?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:59 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,152,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I have heard this said before. What does it mean....link ?
Just type the term in on a search engine and see what comes up. I don't want to link to an offensive web site...

Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 AM

5,772 posts, read 13,723,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've seen a confederate flag in upstate NY a while back. Was near the Northern end of Cayuga Lake. Was a bit bizarre looking. Area looked a bit rundown.

Never saw a confederate flag anywhere in New England. Seems a bit hard to imagine.
It might seem out of place in New England, but it should not be hard to imagine that you might see it somewhere on occasion.

In fact, when I was a student at UMass in the '90's I knew a guy who displayed the Stars and Bars in the window of his dorm room. One time he mentioned that one reason he did this had to do with states' rights, though he did not specifically use the term "states' rights," but talked about protesting against highly centralized government with power concentrated in the federal government. Mostly, though, this guy claimed to display the Confederate flag just to p.o. the political correctness Gestapo.

There was some interesting timing on this, because there was another symbol on display while I was at UMass, which caused some criticism due to the view that it could represent racism. As far as I knew there was no widespread agitation over the guy with the Confederate flag in his window, but this other situation did cause some outcry across campus. There was a dorm with the reputation of being home to a lot of druggies, freaks, and general social dropouts. One year they flew a Jolly Roger from the roof of their dorm for most of the year. Word was that some residents of the dorm said they were doing this as a sign of rebellious sentiment, since pirates live apart from mainstream society. Word also was that there was some white supremacist organization that used the Jolly Roger as their symbol, which was the reason it got some people upset to see it flying on top of a dorm.

Anyway, to get back to the Confederate flag, it would certainly look incongruous in New England, and it's not exactly part of the landscape, but I have little doubt that some individuals besides that one UMass student I knew do display the flag here and there across New England.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,669,553 times
I guess to some southerners, they will claim it as their pride in their southern state. To me, it is a flag which just gives me the creeps and as Chriscross309 wrote, I agree with that. It is what it is, a flag of rebellion and they're still rebelling and living the Civil War.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I guess to some southerners, they will claim it as their pride in their southern state. To me, it is a flag which just gives me the creeps and as Chriscross309 wrote, I agree with that. It is what it is, a flag of rebellion and they're still rebelling and living the Civil War.
after 9 pages, i would think people would get the message. us using the flag has nothing to do with still living the civil war because we don't. we support the flag in support of states rights. i have it on my jet ski and truck in support of states rights such as arizona law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or