U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM

10 posts, read 24,390 times

Advertisements

In my part of Ohio you see people with confederate flags flying on thier homes and I don't understand becuse this is a northern state that fought for the Union and when I ask them they act pround of it. Can some one please help me understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:42 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,855,484 times
I see the dumb things in PA all the time

I live in West By God Virginia, and even though we are a union state there is still a group of "rednecks" that consider themselves "rebals"

Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,461,586 times
Rediculous. I can see it in the South, but north of the Ohio? That's just odd to me.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,946,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeycookie View Post
In my part of Ohio you see people with confederate flags flying on thier homes and I don't understand becuse this is a northern state that fought for the Union and when I ask them they act pround of it. Can some one please help me understand?
it's not a matter of someone being from the south. it's a matter of what they believe in. the civil war was over states rights, not friggin slavery and hate and all that evil south crap they teach you in schools up north. it's kind of similar to the arizona law thing going on now; arizona would be a confederate flag state and another state supporting obama's stance would be a union flag state. the confederate flag is a symbol for state's rights, not hate. however for some it is used as a symbol of hate such as skinheads but they don't stand for what the confederate flag stood for.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,855,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
it's not a matter of someone being from the south. it's a matter of what they believe in. the civil war was over states rights, not friggin slavery and hate and all that evil south crap they teach you in schools up north. it's kind of similar to the arizona law thing going on now; arizona would be a confederate flag state and another state supporting obama's stance would be a union flag state. the confederate flag is a symbol for state's rights, not hate. however for some it is used as a symbol of hate such as skinheads but they don't stand for what the confederate flag stood for.
This is true, but the Rebal Flag that is seen across the country isn't the same as what the South was fighting for!

The idiots that fly that flag where I'm from do it out of hate, not State's rights like I'm for!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Sorry, but slavery was a big part of why there was a Civil War.

"For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery." Georgia's Declaration of Cause.

"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery--the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth." Mississippi's Declaration of Cause.

"We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection." South Carolinian Declaration.

"She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time." Texan Declaration.

Declaration of Causes of Secession

Missouri's is only declaration I recall that did not mention slavery, although I can't remember where I saw it, and there was one Missourian who favored secession yet had been a lawyer on behalf of a black slave.

Library of Southern Literature ... - Google Books

Still if you believe what they said slavery was critically important to their leadership, as Missouri was somewhat divided in secession, and no Confederate state was allowed to abolish it. I doubt it was critically important to every supporter of the Confederacy but I don't know the percentages. I do think many of the American Indian Nations who allied with the Confederacy, even though many of those were slave-holding, likely did so for their own reasons not really related to slavery.

As for Confederate flags in the North the Confederate Battle flag, rather than the more official Stars and Bars, kind of became a symbol of poor-white defiance. Originally against both the Civil Rights Movement, several people in the North I think rejected Civil Rights or integration, and against wealthier Southerners who flew the "Stars and Bars" while looking down at "White Trash." In time it became symbolic of the more "macho" elements of Country Music and Rockabilly. Also some Northerners do have white Southern ancestors. So I'd guess if you see it in the North the person is...

*A fan of musicians like Hank Williams Jr. and Kid Rock or shows The Dukes of Hazard. Maybe a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan is also possible.

*A child or grandchild of Southerners.

*A racist or someone trying to shock you.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM

908 posts, read 1,565,923 times
Southern transplants

Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,744,944 times
Most of West Virginia has the right to fly a rebel flag if they want to. These are the counties that voted to secede from the US along with the rest of Virginia.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:16 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,452,949 times
Since I am in an upper midwest state( Michigan) and I fly the third national confederate flag I will explain my reasons for displaying it. As a previous poster stated, the civil war was really about state vs federal power, amoung other things including slavery. When it comes to the constitution the south was right and the north wrong. Sucession is legal, states rights is supreme. I am a conservative who supports states rights and smaller federal goverment. Our founding fathers never intended the federal goverment to be as big as it is, or to wield the kind of power over the states that it does. The confederate patriots knew this and they fought for the values of our founding fathers. If we followed our constitution and allowed states to govern themselves as they see fit we would have a more harmonious union today. Any state that wishes to have socialized medicne, state funded abortions and gay marriage would be allowed to without interference from outsiders (feds, other states). Any state would also be free to outlaw gay marriage, abortions and decrease the amount of goverment involvement in peoples lives. This is the beauty of states rights, liberal sections of the nation could be liberal, while the conservative parts are allowed to be conservative without being badged by each other via federal power. Those who find themselves at odds with their local state culture could simply move somewhere else where they more fit. Instead we have tossed out the values of our founding fathers and have embraced federal tyranny. Now the side with the most political might dominates the other. Our current system stokes political animosity, and with building hate we risk moving closer to a second civil war sometime in our future. I fly the 3rd national confederat flag as a political statement, and because of my interest in the civil war. The reason I fly it has nothing to do with race, and Im not the only one in Michigan who flys it. Its not hard to find confederate flags displayed in the rural areas of Michigan. Of course many of us are the grandchildren of southerners here in this state, so that may play a part in it as well. The confederate flag is not about racism, but about southern heritage, and American defiance against federal tyranny.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,147,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Southern transplants
Naw, they're transplanted New Jersey Shore people - like Snooky and "The Situation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or