U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 PM

191 posts, read 728,558 times

Advertisements

To all of the people who have had to move FROM places like Buffalo and Cleveland and Pittsburgh TO places like Charlotte and Atlanta - what do you miss? Good pizza and pierogies? Beautiful vintage church spires and steeples and domes? Iron City beer and wedding soup and polkas? Factories and mills? Or do you not miss it at all? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,461,586 times
I miss being near the Great Lakes and the (relatively) cool summers. Back in Michigan I was a half hour from a sunset on Lake Michigan. Now I'm three hours from the Outer Banks. I mean, the outer banks are nice, but it's such a drive.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:40 PM

757 posts, read 1,467,406 times
If you're from north of the Mason-Dixie and now live south of it, Southerners will give you a sympathetic ear when you miss home and want to say what you had at home that you can't find in the South. You can open up to them. They're nice people.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 PM

10 posts, read 24,392 times
Default Everything

The neighboorhoods,churches, and the Great lakes.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:34 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,461,586 times
Does anyone else find it funny that there are only three responses to the OP in the past 8 hours? I guess not that many people miss the North.

I say this as someone who loves being up north.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 AM

134 posts, read 100,278 times
All I can say is our 4 year long move to Charlotte, North Carolina has been nothing but a nightmare. We have since returned to our home for a much better quality of life.

People there do not cut there grass. I miss the clean fresh lawns that people back at home had. At least show some pride in the house that you live in! Dirty pick up trucks and cars parked on the grass, ugly trailer parks next to big houses! Whats up with that? Dogs chained up to trees who desperately need food and water. Hearing gunshots near our house, but the drivers were the worst!

Despite what people say racism is still alive and strong in the south. I could not believe what I was hearing. They would never get away with that garbage back where I am from. And I found southern hospitality to be nothing short of a fraud. I miss real honest people, good schools, healthier food options and being close to the major cities of the northeast.

Goodbye north carolina! I will miss the weather, however.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:01 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,981,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
All I can say is our 4 year long move to Charlotte, North Carolina has been nothing but a nightmare. We have since returned to our home for a much better quality of life.

People there do not cut there grass. I miss the clean fresh lawns that people back at home had. At least show some pride in the house that you live in! Dirty pick up trucks and cars parked on the grass, ugly trailer parks next to big houses! Whats up with that? Dogs chained up to trees who desperately need food and water. Hearing gunshots near our house, but the drivers were the worst!

Despite what people say racism is still alive and strong in the south. I could not believe what I was hearing. They would never get away with that garbage back where I am from. And I found southern hospitality to be nothing short of a fraud. I miss real honest people, good schools, healthier food options and being close to the major cities of the northeast.

Goodbye north carolina! I will miss the weather, however.
Good riddance, don't come back before you are vaccinated from not being totally accurate in your incredible dissertation. Oh, excuse me you might not understand these big words from a southern educated man.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Does anyone really miss Iron City Beer? That stuff is nasty.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
...People there do not cut there grass. I miss the clean fresh lawns that people back at home had. At least show some pride in the house that you live in! Dirty pick up trucks and cars parked on the grass, ugly trailer parks next to big houses! Whats up with that? Dogs chained up to trees who desperately need food and water. Hearing gunshots near our house, but the drivers were the worst! ...
What kind of neighborhood did you live in? I've seen neighborhoods like that in every state I have ever lived in. I just choose not to be around that kind of environment.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM

134 posts, read 100,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
What kind of neighborhood did you live in? I've seen neighborhoods like that in every state I have ever lived in. I just choose not to be around that kind of environment.
Fort Mill, SC (a suburb of charlotte)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or