U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 07:48 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiip View Post
ALL of these places people are "fleeing" to are DUMPS. Nevada? Phoenix? San Antonio? Atlanta? Raleigh? Houston? Tampa? Dallas? *barf*

Is this supposed to offend us here in "high tax states"? Flee away, more SoCal sunshine for me, more room on the beaches of Malibu, less traffic going to Santa Barbara for me. Less traffic in Beverly Hills! Less traffic going up to ski!! Overpopulation is the one thing that greatly diminished the quality of life in California and I hope the state starts to depopulate. Somehow I doubt people living in NYC or Boston give a crap either. Some may flee, the rest will continue paying high taxes, because high tax places are the most desirable in the country.

Face it, "low tax states", I live where you wished you live but I guess someplace horrendous and ugly like Houston is good for someone who can't afford it here.

Flee away!! I actually encourage the fleeing! Way too many people.
what a joke. most people don't give a crap what city they live in except on this website. friggin joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Then they are very stupid. They're picking out one of many rainbows, and chasing the end of it. Income tax is only one form of revenue, and some states depend more on that than others. Washington has no state income tax, but residents of Washington pay a higher part of their income in state and local taxes than in Illinois, Massachusetts or Pennsylvania. A worker who moves from Scranton to Tacoma will be in for a very big surprise indeed, if he thinks his taxes will be less.

States with low personal state and local taxes have to make up the difference somehow. How? With higher corporate taxes and other fees and costs associated with doing business in that state. So a state with lower personal taxes would actually tend to be a state with higher revenue extracted from corporate entities, and vice versa. If you look beneath the tinseled surface of the shills on Fox News, you'll find a truth that cuts both ways.

Look at that list of cities faced with bankruptcy. Yes, people are fleeing from them. If you had to pay no taxes at all, how many of those cities would you choose to live in. Right. You'd leave, but not because the taxes are high, but because they're mostly crapholes. Taxes have nothing to do with people fleeing those places. And why are they facing bankruptcy? Because taxes are too high? No, because taxes are too low to keep them solvent.
overall, texas has lower taxes across the board than the two most screwed states in this country, new york and california. look it up. it's also not just about taxes that creates growth, pro business means everything from regulations to unions to taxes. not just taxes. new york and california are union havens, michigan, new jersey, whatever. those states are falling apart. and come on with the "taxes are too low to keep them solvent." is that even serious? taxes are too low in california? give me a break. more like they're spending too much on pork (such as a school costing upwards of $500 million) and they're regulating business too much and yes, their taxes are too high. they're not going bankrupt because taxes are too low. give me a friggin break.

take a look. don't tell me you're more business and financially savvy than over 600 chief executive officers.
Best and Worst States for Business 2010 | Articles | Homepage

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 12-27-2010 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,864,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Certainly a good economic lesson.If these states don't want to lose more might they should learn (NY,CA, NJ, MA, did you hear me ?)
RealClearPolitics - Video - Census Shows Americans Fleeing High-Tax States
This is a right-wing organization! It is "concerned" about a lack of Christianity and promotion of conservative values in the media, even though conservatives own everything in this country.
Fox News is not news! RCP doesn't clarify anything (it promotes the idea of "death panels" in govt health care, for instance). It promotes the idea that Obama is not a legitimate president. The video is by Fox news. It is a propaganda piece which shows states gaining and losing seats via the last election then ASSUMES that this because of unions and taxes. This is not reporting!!
Please don't talk down to us by presenting Fox as a news organization! We're not all as dumb as their audience.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
overall, texas has lower taxes across the board than the two most screwed states in this country, new york and california.
Texas collects $2-3 billion a year in severance taxes, which is mostly paid by people in other states. Severance tax is a tax on non-renewable resources extracted in the state. In Texas, the tax is 6.9% of the value of natural gas and 4.6% on oil. So every time you burn oil or gas from Texas, you are paying taxes to Texas. Most states assess a severance tax, and it is significant for states that produce a lot of oil and gas and other non-renewables.

That severance tax brings in almost 10% of the total state and local tax revenue.

The bottom line is, if your state produces a lot of mineral resources, the personal taxes can be lower.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-27-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
This is a right-wing organization! It is "concerned" about a lack of Christianity and promotion of conservative values in the media, even though conservatives own everything in this country.
Fox News is not news! RCP doesn't clarify anything (it promotes the idea of "death panels" in govt health care, for instance). It promotes the idea that Obama is not a legitimate president. The video is by Fox news. It is a propaganda piece which shows states gaining and losing seats via the last election then ASSUMES that this because of unions and taxes. This is not reporting!!
Please don't talk down to us by presenting Fox as a news organization! We're not all as dumb as their audience.
Ditto!

Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 AM

5,740 posts, read 5,864,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Correction - I meant population. I had the election on the brain.
My point is the reasons given by Fox are pure assumptions reported as fact! Check the weather maps and notice the migration was from cold-weather states to warm-weather ones. Fox tries to blame anything it can on labor unions, which its base is known to despise.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:10 AM

33,881 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Companies moving from union states to non-union does play a part. I worked for a company (glass containers) in the 70s that had a number of plants throughout what is now called the "Rust Belt", especially PA, MI, IL and OH (company headquarters was in OH). They started building plants in NC and other southern non-union states. The northern plants were old, unionized and outdated in many cases. The new ones were modern, had the beginnings of computerized production and non-union. The start-up costs and tax loads were also smaller in the south. I should also note that at the same time the company was busy off-shoring a lot of production.

If lack of unions doesn't play a part ask yourself why some of the foreign auto makers build their facilities in non-union/right to work states.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,435,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Companies moving from union states to non-union does play a part. I worked for a company (glass containers) in the 70s that had a number of plants throughout what is now called the "Rust Belt", especially PA, MI, IL and OH (company headquarters was in OH). They started building plants in NC and other southern non-union states. The northern plants were old, unionized and outdated in many cases. The new ones were modern, had the beginnings of computerized production and non-union. The start-up costs and tax loads were also smaller in the south. I should also note that at the same time the company was busy off-shoring a lot of production.

If lack of unions doesn't play a part ask yourself why some of the foreign auto makers build their facilities in non-union/right to work states.
You're right, automakers for example.Toyota, Kia, Hyundai..etc...build their plants in non-union states.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 AM

56,552 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Cheap labor(which has been a staple in the South) and other factors, which can and in some Southern states have changed(i.e.-taxes, etc.).

Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Texas collects $2-3 billion a year in severance taxes, which is mostly paid by people in other states. Severance tax is a tax on non-renewable resources extracted in the state. In Texas, the tax is 6.9% of the value of natural gas and 4.6% on oil. So every time you burn oil or gas from Texas, you are paying taxes to Texas. Most states assess a severance tax, and it is significant for states that produce a lot of oil and gas and other non-renewables.
that's good. what they want is businesses moving there and a strong economy. they have both. to dog them for that while most states are crumbling to dust using the same methods you people defend is laughable.

Texas Severance Tax Incentives: Past and Present

Quote:
That severance tax brings in almost 10% of the total state and local tax revenue.
"Severance tax incentives continue to be needed in the future to encourage production and expansion of oil and gas operations, and sustain a vital segment of the state’s economy."

Quote:
The bottom line is, if your state produces a lot of mineral resources, the personal taxes can be lower.
new york has that advantage too, same with california. new york has so much water and california has oil off the coast but they're too stupid to capitalize on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or