U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,439,807 times

Advertisements

Low-tax states will gain seats, high-tax states will lose them | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2010/11/low-tax-states-will-gain-seats-high-tax-states-will-lose-them-0 - broken link)

Soak the Rich, Lose the Rich - WSJ.com

Americans flee unionized, high tax states

Americans flee the high-tax states, it's just so obvious.All the winners are low-tax states.
You must admit reality guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,388,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Low-tax states will gain seats, high-tax states will lose them | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2010/11/low-tax-states-will-gain-seats-high-tax-states-will-lose-them-0 - broken link)

Soak the Rich, Lose the Rich - WSJ.com

Americans flee unionized, high tax states

Americans flee the high-tax states, it's just so obvious.All the winners are low-tax states.
You must admit reality guys
There not fleeing the population is just not growing as fast , its like Eastern Europe moving into Western Europe. Eastern Europe is not growing that fast , but it isn't shrinking.... The Northeast is still growing and slowly but if you lived here its not such a bad thing. Its a positive thing , we can adjust to the growth unlike the south.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM

12,545 posts, read 18,452,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
What is amazing to me is that there are still people who try to dismiss this and pretend that the high-tax states are still somehow better off than the rest of us unwashed, tax-loathing swine. How can you honestly argue that California or New Jersey is better off than Texas, Arizona, Georgia, Colorado, or any other more pro-business, low-tax, conservative state?

If you're living on the public dole, or can actually afford to live in Manhattan or San Francisco, or the tonier New Jersey suburbs and pay the private school tuition, then life might indeed be nice. But if you're like the other 95% of us, then you're probably much more concerned about good schools for your kids, low taxes so you can keep more of what you make and afford a decent home for your family, and a general economic climate oriented around growth, not decline a la California and New York.
if you can make more though in the NYC metro area, you might end up with more in the end. It depends on the profession really.

Also - most NJ residents do not have to pay private school tuition. The great thing about many of the cities in NJ is the excellent public school systems. That's why I'm not terrible concerned with the taxes I pay here, because where I grew up, public school was essentially not an option so even though we had lower taxes, our school taxes were basically money thrown right out the window since we pretty much had to go private...

Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 AM

443 posts, read 1,388,921 times
You can make an argument about any stat and suggest it's because of something else very easily. Can we point out it may, just may have something to do with the price of living as well. I think that has impacted people's decisions alot more than taxes.

Taxes are the price you pay to uphold a good infrastructure. You neocons will be the first one's to gripe if the roads go bad or a bridge collapses, I'm guessing you must all think that fairies build these things, or pay the police that protect you and so forth. There are plenty of corporations aborting their public responsibility to pay for the land they use and flee for less taxes, but thats pretty much rich guys needing to buy another porsche and not being patriotic enough to help pay for the basic services that make this country run.

Hope you enjoy that lovely porsche on a road filled with potholes or that 60 inch television when you don't have any water from the rotted pipes in the water system. I'm one that would be affected by higher tax rates, I'm willing to give up a little more money to help the country, why aren't you?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
You can make an argument about any stat and suggest it's because of something else very easily. Can we point out it may, just may have something to do with the price of living as well. I think that has impacted people's decisions alot more than taxes.

Taxes are the price you pay to uphold a good infrastructure. You neocons will be the first one's to gripe if the roads go bad or a bridge collapses, I'm guessing you must all think that fairies build these things, or pay the police that protect you and so forth. There are plenty of corporations aborting their public responsibility to pay for the land they use and flee for less taxes, but thats pretty much rich guys needing to buy another porsche and not being patriotic enough to help pay for the basic services that make this country run.

Hope you enjoy that lovely porsche on a road filled with potholes or that 60 inch television when you don't have any water from the rotted pipes in the water system. I'm one that would be affected by higher tax rates, I'm willing to give up a little more money to help the country, why aren't you?
LOL.California is one of the most taxed states and look at the infrastructure....Please
High taxes are just to feed public union members with inimaginable perks and corrupted politicians.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There not fleeing the population is just not growing as fast , its like Eastern Europe moving into Western Europe. Eastern Europe is not growing that fast , but it isn't shrinking.... The Northeast is still growing and slowly but if you lived here its not such a bad thing. Its a positive thing , we can adjust to the growth unlike the south.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,336,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i've driven i-90 in the middle of nowhere in the middle of new york state and i've driven some of the heaviest traffic roads in these low tax states (been to 26 states). by far, the worst roads i've seen were in mainly high tax states (including california, before you go out and use weather as an excuse). how old a system is doesn't mean much either as maintenace crews are hired to maintain old infrastructure like new. they run, yeah, most of the time, but they're nasty and nyc mta is probably facing lay offs to top that off. i know they're facing fair hikes and service cuts.
You do realize that I90 runs through some of the most severe winter landscape the country has to offer, right? The roads in NYS are constantly being repaired because of this. Roads down south last far far longer than roads up north, making the costs to maintain them far far less expensive. This is a bad comparison.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:34 AM

56,676 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
LOL.California is one of the most taxed states and look at the infrastructure....Please
High taxes are just to feed public union members with inimaginable perks and corrupted politicians.
Not necessarily true, as NY has a pretty good infrastructure for the most part. Like I've said before, governments are going to get their money one way or another. So, the costs will "even out" to some degree. Again, there are parts of the Northeast that are just as affordable as many Southern areas when looking at overall cost of living, not just taxes.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 4,721,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
So, I wonder if those areas are going to go the way of auto plants in the Northeast and Midwest, if pay keeps increasing at the rate it is.

Also, is this the first year that wage surpassed those for UAW plants, copnsidering the issues those companies have had in recent years?
I found articles from as early as 2006 saying the Southern automakers were paying equal to or better than the Northern unionized plants. And complaints from UAW workers from the Northern states wanting to know what they are getting for their money since the OT has pretty much gone away and the Southern non-unionized workers are making more money plus getting profit sharing.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 AM

56,676 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I found articles from as early as 2006 saying the Southern automakers were paying equal to or better than the Northern unionized plants. And complaints from UAW workers from the Northern states wanting to know what they are getting for their money since the OT has pretty much gone away and the Southern non-unionized workers are making more money plus getting profit sharing.
I wonder if that is also an indictment on our vehicle quality and what the American consumer really wants considering the companies running said plants. Interesting.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or