U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
That's not true. I personally know people who are moving because of high taxes, in fact my cousin in San Jose is the next addition to this "moved because of high taxes" he can stay out in San Jose and be miserable like he described on the phone yesterday or he can level off two mortgages, get a high paying job, and have a better family environment right now elsewhere. He's contemplating the idea right now, he moved to California in 1999, and its been 12 years for him (will be in March) and at first he was exceptionally happy, but he had to go through 3 jobs in 1.5 years, has two homes he has to pay for, and he cant take the expenses anymore, last I saw him, he was stressed out like no other to the point where making phone calls to him was outrageously hard, he had black lining around his eyes due to the lack of sleep, and a lot of peoples lives have been like that since the recession. He can stay where he is and be stressed, or he can move, and he's highly considering that, and he has an exceptionally high salary too and even then, its just not enough for him to want to stick around. People go where their families can be better off, it's not a "high tax vs low tax" thing. It's a "where am I better off?" thing. He'll be going to Seattle, from what he's decided upon.

And there are many people that go through that, lets say population gains in any high tax state stays the same year after year, but say in 2007, 5,000 people moved out do to high taxes, in 2008, it was 7,000 people and in 2010 it was 12,000 people, again that is a larger net loss.

And New York shows that with its outmigration pattern.
Actually, NY has still gained people overall and Upstate NY's COL is much lower than CA's. So, that is comparing Apples to Oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, NY has still gained people overall and Upstate NY's COL is much lower than CA's. So, that is comparing Apples to Oranges.
Yes New York gained people due to both births (minus deaths) & immigration. It did not gain due to people from out of the state migrating there (minus people leaving).

An excerpt:
Quote:
The Empire State is being drained of an invaluable resource—people. From 2000 to 2008, in both absolute and relative terms, New York experienced the nation's largest loss of residents to other states—a net domestic migration outflow of over 1.5 million, or 8 percent of its population at the start of the decade.
Empire State Exodus
I'm not bashing but this is why New York (State) lost 2 seats in the electoral college, because to date since 2000 to 2010, it has seen the worst net migration loss of any US State.

Yes the state of New York's population is indeed increasing, but its doing so in a very unhealthy manner, it came in 47th for population gains overall in the last census. The reason the state isn't seeing a population loss is because there are more births (minus the deaths) annually to keep it afloat and of course immigration, otherwise because of net domestic migration, New York has seen the worst of any state in the last decade.

I like New York, I'm not much of a state person but if I had a favorite state it would be New York, but its seen a mass scale net domestic migration outward of the state. Gaining through immigrants and births doesn't count for anything, TX saw a population increase because of immigrants, net domestic migration, & births (minus deaths), same with FL, AZ, WA, NV, GA, NC, and VA. New York only saw a state wide population gain because of immigration & births (minus deaths), not because most people who already lived in the United States were moving there more than they were leaving there.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 PM

13,097 posts, read 13,485,805 times
What will prevent the states that have strong growth rates from not seeing taxes go up as more and more demand improvements in education, health, infrustructure, and overall quality of life? It seems like certain states are/were able to keep taxes low simply because all of those things were of much lower quality to begin with with far fewer people to worry about.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What will prevent the states that have strong growth rates from not seeing taxes go up as more and more demand improvements in education, health, infrustructure, and overall quality of life? It seems like certain states are/were able to keep taxes low simply because all of those things were of much lower quality to begin with with far fewer people to worry about.
I can only speak for TX, and that is because the state constitution literally bans certain type of taxes (like state income tax), and the only way to implement some of them into the state for revenue is for the majority of the state's registered voters to vote on it and say "yes, increase or add taxes". And that will not be happening.

But the taxes that do exist that can increase are like property taxes, and whatever and whatnot.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 PM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Yes New York gained people due to both births (minus deaths) & immigration. It did not gain due to people from out of the state migrating there (minus people leaving).

An excerpt:

I'm not bashing but this is why New York (State) lost 2 seats in the electoral college, because to date since 2000 to 2010, it has seen the worst net migration loss of any US State.

Yes the state of New York's population is indeed increasing, but its doing so in a very unhealthy manner, it came in 47th for population gains overall in the last census. The reason the state isn't seeing a population loss is because there are more births (minus the deaths) annually to keep it afloat and of course immigration, otherwise because of net domestic migration, New York has seen the worst of any state in the last decade.

I like New York, I'm not much of a state person but if I had a favorite state it would be New York, but its seen a mass scale net domestic migration outward of the state. Gaining through immigrants and births doesn't count for anything, TX saw a population increase because of immigrants, net domestic migration, & births (minus deaths), same with FL, AZ, WA, NV, GA, NC, and VA. New York only saw a state wide population gain because of immigration & births (minus deaths), not because most people who already lived in the United States were moving there more than they were leaving there.

While this is true most of this growth in many of these states came pre recession and much of it has slowed. Some people have come back in the last couple of years as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 PM

2,109 posts, read 5,135,829 times
I would say hardly any of the people moving are doing so because of taxes. Most of the moving is coming from the desire to have affordable housing. Weather- or the escape from nasty cold weather- is probably a close 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or