U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I never said infrastructure was perfect. Frankly, You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. Yeah, and those back county dirt roads and neighborhoods with no sidewalks found throughout the south are just wonderfull. See, it's pretty easy to play that game.
country dirt roads? what the hell are you talking about? the few roads that are dirt roads are hardly traveled and most of them are basically driveways. you never said your infrastructure was perfect because it isn't, it sucks, yet your still preaching the south on how to run its infrastructure. that's a friggin joke. what state do you live in hot shot?

Quote:
I agree that much infrastructure was built around capitalism, but guess what? It gets old and people need to come up with ways to fix it. And last I checked infrastructure in the south is not run by private companies.
so we're going to take lessons from the new york and its grimy &$# subways on how to maintain infrastructure? because last i checked those big bad taxes aren't keeping service cuts and fair hikes from the ny mta. it was all new when capitalism built it. and you want new ways to fix it? capitalism attracts the greatest most motivated minds to come up with new ideas.

Quote:
NYC is still booming. It gained more people than any other city by raw numbers over the last decade. Yes, the state is in dept and I agree they have problems with that where streamlining of the government is needed.
nyc is not booming. noone cares about raw number growth. a city with 1 million people that gained 100,000 people isn't doing better than a city with 100,000 that gained 50,000 people. nyc is average. what keeps it afloat is wall street (the remaining capitalism left in that city) and the brand name that is new york.

Quote:
Dude, China has people who work for peanuts because they are dirt poor. No 1st world nation can compete with their unskilled manufacturing in a global market. How can someone who talks about capitalism like you do bring up communist China as an argueing point?
well since you liberals love illegal immigrants so much i figure you'd love to put em to work for cheap. so liberals love illegals working for cheap, yet they think china's bad for paying migrants cheap money? we can't all live the high life buddy. some of us will have to live like #*%# no matter what country we're in.

Quote:
But to answer your question, the real reason they were hit hard is because they were not economically diversified. This however this is changing. You can take a look at Pittsburgh as an example.
pittsburgh? pittsburgh is your example? pittsburgh may be nicer than it used to be but the place is still dead. and i love pittsburgh.

Quote:
Hong Kong? You're going to have to explain this to me. Do you realize Hong Kong has one of the highest costs of living in the world? Do you realize Hong Kong is an anomaly because it's a hyper dense city on a tiny island. When you have that many people in such a small place it changes the playing field. In the US you still have to deal with the federal government. Also, Hong Kong may cater to business but do you realize Hong Kong has insane property tax?
i didn't say we need to be copycats of everything hong kong does. we do however need to take some lessons on business and economics from them. you can dog hk all you want, look at china's power and influence. they're turning into a super power just like the south is turning into the super power within this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,503,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
country dirt roads? what the hell are you talking about? the few roads that are dirt roads are hardly traveled and most of them are basically driveways. you never said your infrastructure was perfect because it isn't, it sucks, yet your still preaching the south on how to run its infrastructure. that's a friggin joke. what state do you live in hot shot?

so we're going to take lessons from the new york and its grimy &$# subways on how to maintain infrastructure? because last i checked those big bad taxes aren't keeping service cuts and fair hikes from the ny mta. it was all new when capitalism built it. and you want new ways to fix it? capitalism attracts the greatest most motivated minds to come up with new ideas.

nyc is not booming. noone cares about raw number growth. a city with 1 million people that gained 100,000 people isn't doing better than a city with 100,000 that gained 50,000 people. nyc is average. what keeps it afloat is wall street (the remaining capitalism left in that city) and the brand name that is new york.

well since you liberals love illegal immigrants so much i figure you'd love to put em to work for cheap. so liberals love illegals working for cheap, yet they think china's bad for paying migrants cheap money? we can't all live the high life buddy. some of us will have to live like #*%# no matter what country we're in.

pittsburgh? pittsburgh is your example? pittsburgh may be nicer than it used to be but the place is still dead. and i love pittsburgh.

i didn't say we need to be copycats of everything hong kong does. we do however need to take some lessons on business and economics from them. you can dog hk all you want, look at china's power and influence. they're turning into a super power just like the south is turning into the super power within this country.
Frankly, you are spewing ignorant nonsense so I'm done with this thread. The fact that you think I'm a liberal is actually amusing, but I guess anyone who does not bow down to your viewpoints must be some liberal yankee, right? Anyway, that screen name of yours is sure not doing any service to my Welsh and German ancestry.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Frankly, you are spewing ignorant nonsense so I'm done with this thread. The fact that you think I'm a liberal is actually amusing, but I guess anyone who does not bow down to your viewpoints must be some liberal yankee, right? Anyway, that screen name of yours is sure not doing any service to my Welsh and German ancestry.
i'm ignorant or are you done arguing because i finished it? tell me, what perfect little boomiing high tax state do you live in? where's the double digit population growth in your north? and is the south really only booming because it's "new" or is it more booming than the north because it offers a better business environment than the north? the north used to be the center of business, manufacturing, finance, transportation, and cargo. it used to be the most desirable place to be a capitalist because the south has traditionally been more agricultural and the north more industrial and centered around immigrant labor. now, thanks to the north's debt, overtaxed businesses, and over-demanding unions it's starting to shift to the south and we're coming into the game. cargo, technology, transportation, finance, manufacturing, oil, and even entertainment is making the south a domestic superpower.

now i'm not saying the north is going to completely be dead. even cities like detroit aren't completely dead per se. and i don't expect new york to flop. but seriously, denying that the south isn't tilting the playing field is ignorant. texas is going to whip california soon.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 12-23-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,703,815 times
We will see how low-tax the Sunbelt States remain, when they are face with the cost of aging infrastructure. Northern States, post-industrial, have had to face the challenge of choosing which cities to keep and which to let go.

The raw metals and minerals markets have kept certain states afloat, and Texas has petroleum. We shall see what happens over the course of twenty five years, but my bets are not on the endless cookie cutter suburbs of these low-tax states remaining desirable places to live.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
We will see how low-tax the Sunbelt States remain, when they are face with the cost of aging infrastructure. Northern States, post-industrial, have had to face the challenge of choosing which cities to keep and which to let go.
which cities to keep and which cities to let go? what crap.

Quote:
The raw metals and minerals markets have kept certain states afloat, and Texas has petroleum. We shall see what happens over the course of twenty five years, but my bets are not on the endless cookie cutter suburbs of these low-tax states remaining desirable places to live.
texas isn't just about petroleum, texas is one of the most diversified economies in the country and a house being cookie cutter is irrelevant. los angeles is sprawling everywhere yet people still manage to make it to work. i bet charlotte is similar to atlanta today in 25 years and i bet houston is bigger than chicago in 25 years and texas will have a stronger economy than california.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:16 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,434,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
which cities to keep and which cities to let go? what crap.

texas isn't just about petroleum, texas is one of the most diversified economies in the country and a house being cookie cutter is irrelevant. los angeles is sprawling everywhere yet people still manage to make it to work. i bet charlotte is similar to atlanta today in 25 years and i bet houston is bigger than chicago in 25 years and texas will have a stronger economy than california.
You're totally right, the Texan economy is very diverse ! Oil, gas, wind power, high tech, medical center, industry, auto workers, videogames !

Old 12-25-2010, 05:26 AM

12,291 posts, read 15,184,803 times
Taxes play a role: of the ten high tax States, only one (Hawaii) had higher growth than the US average. But it is not the only factor, four of the ten lowest tax States did not grow faster than average. And the one that actually lost population, Michigan, is #16 in taxes.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:31 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,366,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
You're totally right, the Texan economy is very diverse ! Oil, gas, wind power, high tech, medical center, industry, auto workers, videogames !
They have corrupted the Texas Govt.........as for Video Games thats not really an industry yet....

Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,434,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
They have corrupted the Texas Govt.........as for Video Games thats not really an industry yet....
And unions corrupted New Jersey ! All states have a dark cloud you know

Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,366,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
And unions corrupted New Jersey ! All states have a dark cloud you know
Well Texas's Oil corruption affects the whole country unlike my states unions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or