U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,966,706 times

Advertisements

Texas is in much better shape than Jersey.
Jersey is better at other things, but it's economy and government is NOT one of them. Be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 03:15 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,438,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
decent isn't great. texas is great. so why are people from new jersey dogging texas like its somehow lesser with its soon to be 1st place economy?
Just northeastern jealousy
Texas helps the US, really much because it created so many jobs in 2010 and much more is expected about 2011.
NJ will have tough times the next year because Christie must heal the state from the past mistakes (big spending, union addiction, highest taxes)

Old 12-26-2010, 03:44 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,385,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Just northeastern jealousy
Texas helps the US, really much because it created so many jobs in 2010 and much more is expected about 2011.
NJ will have tough times the next year because Christie must heal the state from the past mistakes (big spending, union addiction, highest taxes)
Hahaha , hes a softy.....he hasn't done anything to fix any of the list problems. As for Jealously......i'm only jealous of Czech Republic , Cascadia and Japan.....everyone else is meh. I could care less about the south ,& I hope they leave the union soon. Christie is lacking in job creation......hes just another Northeastern politician.........hes not the savior he claimed to be. How about you stop creating threads bashing the NE or other parts the US.......its hurting ur rep.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hahaha , hes a softy.....he hasn't done anything to fix any of the list problems. As for Jealously......i'm only jealous of Czech Republic , Cascadia and Japan.....everyone else is meh. I could care less about the south ,& I hope they leave the union soon. Christie is lacking in job creation......hes just another Northeastern politician.........hes not the savior he claimed to be. How about you stop creating threads bashing the NE or other parts the US.......its hurting ur rep.
Chris Christie is one of the best politician in the US.It's not easy to fix this mess in NJ, he made impressive moves for the moment, can't wait to see his next proposals.
About jobs creation, I can't imagine NJ creating many jobs with punitive taxes, let's be realistic.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Chris Christie is one of the best politician in the US.It's not easy to fix this mess in NJ, he made impressive moves for the moment, can't wait to see his next proposals.
About jobs creation, I can't imagine NJ creating many jobs with punitive taxes, let's be realistic.
Moderator cut: off topic/personal His approval rating is dropping faster then rock falling off a cliff. There are alot more republican and Democratic governors and politicians then Christie. He has not targeted the key problem in the state , Corruption and overpaided union chiefs......and has not addressed the Urban issues which are starting to anger the state.

Last edited by Bo; 12-26-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-26-2010, 05:41 AM

New York, I love you — but I can’t make the math work.
Like lots of media professionals (and fashion mavens, artists, musicians, et al.), I’ve penciled out the numbers for what it would mean to take a job in New York City. There’s barely enough room on the back of the envelope for subtracting the double-dose income tax hit from the city and state, and that’s before even adjusting for cost of living.
That’s one of the reasons I’m in Dallas. You know, Texas, the state that parlayed this year’s census data into four new House seats — pinching the two lost by the Empire State — because people actually want to live here.

Lots of Texas professionals love New York this way: fly in for $200 round trip, suck down the city’s beefy marrow of culture for a weekend and jet back to live cheap and pay no income tax. It’s all the pleasure and we keep our treasure.
Folks are voting with their pocketbooks; between 2000 and 2008, $846 million of New York’s personal income saddled up and jingle-jangled down to the Lone Star State.
Nobody’s saying New York’s lost appeal from a career standpoint — it’s still the epicenter of finance, media, law and all that. It’s the paycheck crunch that can turn an offer of a lifetime into No Sale.
The figures work this way on a pitch to come live in the Big Apple: You can get a 17% raise, but you’ll still take home less pay compared to that Texas job. But I hear the rent is cheap, right?
Mayor Michael Bloomberg laid it out after the census beat-down. “Unless we make this an attractive state to do business in and to live in, people are going to continue to move out,” he said. “We have to reverse that trend.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...crIHzz50LIfbsM

Michael Bloomberg understood apparently, he's not like some people on CD he can see the reality

Old 12-26-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
New York, I love you — but I can’t make the math work.
Like lots of media professionals (and fashion mavens, artists, musicians, et al.), I’ve penciled out the numbers for what it would mean to take a job in New York City. There’s barely enough room on the back of the envelope for subtracting the double-dose income tax hit from the city and state, and that’s before even adjusting for cost of living.
That’s one of the reasons I’m in Dallas. You know, Texas, the state that parlayed this year’s census data into four new House seats — pinching the two lost by the Empire State — because people actually want to live here.

Lots of Texas professionals love New York this way: fly in for $200 round trip, suck down the city’s beefy marrow of culture for a weekend and jet back to live cheap and pay no income tax. It’s all the pleasure and we keep our treasure.
Folks are voting with their pocketbooks; between 2000 and 2008, $846 million of New York’s personal income saddled up and jingle-jangled down to the Lone Star State.
Nobody’s saying New York’s lost appeal from a career standpoint — it’s still the epicenter of finance, media, law and all that. It’s the paycheck crunch that can turn an offer of a lifetime into No Sale.
The figures work this way on a pitch to come live in the Big Apple: You can get a 17% raise, but you’ll still take home less pay compared to that Texas job. But I hear the rent is cheap, right?
Mayor Michael Bloomberg laid it out after the census beat-down. “Unless we make this an attractive state to do business in and to live in, people are going to continue to move out,” he said. “We have to reverse that trend.”

Deep in the heart of taxes - NYPOST.com

Michael Bloomberg understood apparently, he's not like some people on CD he can see the reality
LOL , the NYpost is not a credible source. All states in the Northeast still grew , none shrunk. That tells you something , the population is moving around.....building up along Railway corridors and shrinking along interstate towns. Now come back with a different news source , + majority of ppl in this state and other states in this region still approved tax hikes for school disrects...

Old 12-26-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LOL , the NYpost is not a credible source. All states in the Northeast still grew , none shrunk. That tells you something , the population is moving around.....building up along Railway corridors and shrinking along interstate towns. Now come back with a different news source , + majority of ppl in this state and other states in this region still approved tax hikes for school disrects...
More credible than you it's sure

Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
There is a fundamental principle of logic (not the strongest suit, for many posters here) that the simultaneous occurrence of two events is not proof of causation, and certainly not proof that A caused B, as opposed to B causing A.

The migration of Americans to the west and south has been going on full speed since the Great Depression, which was long before current tax rates were struck. If there is a connection between population shifts and tax rates, it could very well be because states that were losing population had to increase the per-capita taxes in order to simply maintain at current levels the public infrastructure.

Or, simply put, maybe taxes went up BECAUSE of the flight of the tax base.

Now, look at this real tax chart and think about it:
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...esbystate2005/

The average American pays 10.1% of his income in state and local taxes. In all but 11 states, the average is within 1 percentage point of the national average. Which means that moving will, in a great majority of cases, save you only 1% or at most 2% of your income. Would you uproot your family and move across the country to a new location ONLY to save 1% of your income? The moving costs would be more than you'd save in taxes in ten years. It seems to me to be utterly foolish to think that such a savings would be a motivating factor in people's migration decisions.

You would not save one cent in taxes if you moved from Massachusetts to Georgia, or Michigan to Arizona.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-26-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 12-26-2010, 07:26 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a fundamental principle of logic (not the strongest suit, for many posters here) that the simultaneous occurrence of two events is not proof of causation, and certainly not proof that A caused B, as opposed to B causing A.

The migration of Americans to the west and south has been going on full speed since the Great Depression, which was long before current tax rates were struck. If there is a connection between population shifts and tax rates, it could very well be because states that were losing population had to increase the per-capita taxes in order to simply maintain at current levels the public infrastructure.

Or, simply put, maybe taxes went up BECAUSE of the flight of the tax base.

Thank god, someone else with a logical approach. The right-wingers typically hate historical economic references as it typically refutes any points they're trying to make. But there you have it, a valid perspective taking in more than the past three to four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or