Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:24 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times

Advertisements

Certainly a good economic lesson.If these states don't want to lose more might they should learn (NY,CA, NJ, MA, did you hear me ?)

RealClearPolitics - Video - Census Shows Americans Fleeing High-Tax States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:43 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Certainly a good economic lesson.If these states don't want to lose more might they should learn (NY,CA, NJ, MA, did you hear me ?)

RealClearPolitics - Video - Census Shows Americans Fleeing High-Tax States
It actually shows the typical lack of understanding of economics exhibited by most Americans."Fleeing" high taxes to go to a lower tax state which sports a high unemployment rate and lack of infrastructure (mass transit/roads/poor schools) isn't particularly intelligent for the most part. Outside of California, the other states mentioned plus NH and VT have low unemployment rates, excellent schools and sufficient infrastructure. The short-sighted Fox News types will always see the benefit of fleeing to a state where taxes are lower, which helps maintain the balance otherwise. I say go for it if you're unhappy and enjoy all of those tax-free perks!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:17 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It actually shows the typical lack of understanding of economics exhibited by most Americans."Fleeing" high taxes to go to a lower tax state which sports a high unemployment rate and lack of infrastructure (mass transit/roads/poor schools) isn't particularly intelligent for the most part. Outside of California, the other states mentioned plus NH and VT have low unemployment rates, excellent schools and sufficient infrastructure. The short-sighted Fox News types will always see the benefit of fleeing to a state where taxes are lower, which helps maintain the balance otherwise. I say go for it if you're unhappy and enjoy all of those tax-free perks!
Yes, it's simply because people are too stupid to know better. What a typical liberal, pro-Nanny State reply... and an inaccurate one at that. Virginia's unemployment is one of the lowest in the country as are its tax rates. Perhaps our roads aren't in the best shape and we don't offer free college tuition to residents but at least we aren't bleeding residents and don't have the massive debts hanging over our heads like the states who would brag about their wealth of social programs and handouts.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:23 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Actually they are fleeing high cost of living states or places with poor economies. Although I do agree that some of these states should figure out how to get their taxes down.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 12-22-2010 at 07:32 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
Yes, it's simply because people are too stupid to know better. What a typical liberal, pro-Nanny State reply... and an inaccurate one at that. Virginia's unemployment is one of the lowest in the country as are its tax rates. Perhaps our roads aren't in the best shape and we don't offer free college tuition to residents but at least we aren't bleeding residents and don't have the massive debts hanging over our heads like the states who would brag about their wealth of social programs and handouts.
Actually, many areas in Upstate NY and Virginia have similar cost of living rates. So, a government is going to get it's money one way or another. It doesn't have anything to do with "liberal" or "conservative" anymore and just like life, there is some give and take.

You also have to think about quality of life issues like crime and schools as well. This will also depend upon on the person and their situation.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:40 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Default Two-edged Sword

I'm somewhere in between the 2 views. On one hand, I think it's natural in this country (and many others) to avoid unnecessary taxation. On the other hand I understand that we have to pay for basic civic services which makes the quality of life for all of us better like police, fire, EMS, public transportation, roads, education, etc. I've been outraged at the local, state, and national levels with both the D's & R's so I do not wish to engage in a debate about who's to blame or left vs right/conservative vs liberal garbage!

In regards to the topic, one has to really discern if the big business friendly, tax break states are honestly the best way to go. I'll pick on my own area so nobody's feelings get hurt on this one. Local leaders, plus top business movers & shakers in the region, all combined efforts to construct I-4 as part of the Interstate Highway System as authorized under the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 even though it's an "intra-state-interstate." Basically they were smart enough to figure out how to build a regional road with federal funds, that when intersected by the Florida's Turnpike, would place Orlando at the literal crossroads of the state and thus they hoped would attract good jobs in defense, aerospace, and so on. What they ended up attracting was the enterprising eye of Walt Disney himself during a fly over of Orlando. After they decided on Orlando, the state rolled out the red carpet with every possible benefit you could imagine for the Walt Disney Company. They were even granted special legislation by the state that allowed them to create their own municipalities, police force, fire, roads, airport, and anything else that goes along with being self-governed.

The question is was this good for Florida?? Yes and no is my answer.

The course of events allowed for a sleepy town to eventually turn major city, however due to the type of jobs and wages that were attracted by WDW, shortfalls in tax revenues, and high paying jobs have taken decades to to start reversing. On the other hand, if Florida had not been so welcoming, perhaps Disney would have been built elsewhere and the growing pangs ravaged Orlando would still be a small citrus town with Lockheed Martin & the Space Coast as the only source of economic prosperity.

We all know that Lebron bringing his talents to South Beach will ultimately be good for his career, however, bringing his paycheck will be even better. He gets to keep more of his income as the state of Florida has no income tax, woohoo for him right. However, for a struggling middle class family, it's imperative that the tax burden be low because wages are low and they need to keep as much of their income as possible. Again, I am mixed on how I feel about this whole conundrum, because either way it has mixed effects and mixed emotions depending on who, what, where, and how!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:

What a clueless post... why don't you check and see how much the "blue" states pay in taxes versus what the "red" states paid and then got back in federal aid. You need to educate yourself on what the true "nanny states" actually are.

Take away the "blue" states and you take away over 80% of the U.S. economy, making the remaining states on par with what amounts to a third world country. So you can take your misguided partisan hack beliefs and shove them.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
What a clueless post... why don't you check and see how much the "blue" states pay in taxes versus what the "red" states paid and then got back in federal aid. You need to educate yourself on what the true "nanny states" actually are.

Take away the "blue" states and you take away over 80% of the U.S. economy, making the remaining states on par with what amounts to a third world country. So you can take your misguided partisan hack beliefs and shove them.
Now now, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. The fact that you consider any red state the equivalent of a third world country speaks volumes of your own particular bias. It would be easy to argue that the reasons for the economic output of the states that you are lauding are also the reasons they are in so much trouble now that it comes time to pay the bills. There's certainly no quick answer here but for now it does appear that people are willing to have less services if it means less money coming out of their pockets as taxes and fees from their state and local governments.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:18 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Absolutely no surpises to me. People that have money reallize that keeping money is as important as earning it. The high mighty economic dynamo days of the late 90's are gone with no sign of real recovery any time soon. I remember even recently how I though California was such a great state to live in ..now just give me an e-ticket out to the West Coast now and than with a return flight to saneville. High QOL can be found anywhere though; ok maybe not everywhere but most places.

Last edited by Scott5280; 12-22-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM

8 posts, read 8,847 times
Quote:
Now now, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. The fact that you consider any red state the equivalent of a third world country speaks volumes of your own particular bias. It would be easy to argue that the reasons for the economic output of the states that you are lauding are also the reasons they are in so much trouble now that it comes time to pay the bills. There's certainly no quick answer here but for now it does appear that people are willing to have less services if it means less money coming out of their pockets as taxes and fees from their state and local governments.
Yes, the United States would be a poor country without blue states. Most ppl "fleeing" high cost states are mostly low-income people who pay no taxes anyway so nobody cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.