Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 08:02 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Cheap labor(which has been a staple in the South) and other factors, which can and in some Southern states have changed(i.e.-taxes, etc.).
Maybe not so cheap- the Southern automakers are paying better than the northern plants in many instances:

Toyota Motor Corp. gave workers at its largest U.S. plant bonuses of $6,000 to $8,000, boosting the average pay at the Georgetown, KY, plant to the equivalent of $30 an hour. That compares with a $27 hourly average for UAW workers, most of whom did not receive profit-sharing checks last year. Toyota would not provide a U.S. average, but said its 7,000-worker Georgetown plant is representative of its U.S. operations.

General Motors Corp., which lost $10.6 billion in 2005 and didn't issue profit-sharing checks last year, paid its production workers an average of $27 an hour, GM spokesman Daniel Flores said. That would be a base of about $54,000 a year, based on a 2,000-hour work year. The $30 average at Toyota's Georgetown plant, which includes a bonus, equals $60,000 a year.
Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group representatives said GM's base pay figures are similar to theirs. Only Chrysler, which had a 2005 profit, paid a bonus last year. The $650 bonus was not enough to surpass Toyota's pay.

Assembly workers for Detroit automakers remained a bit ahead of Honda's U.S. hourly workers, who made an average $24.25 an hour, or $26.20 with the $4,485 bonus they received. In November, Honda paid bonuses for the 21st consecutive year, the longest streak in U.S. auto history, said Ed Miller, Honda spokesman.
Nissan workers are paid $24 an hour in Mississippi and $26 an hour in Tennessee, but company officials would not disclose employee bonuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
They're "too stupid" to capitalize on it because it's insanely expensive to tap and would cause an environmental catastrophe. Plus, we need to get OFF fossil fuels, not drill for more.

You know which place has a really low unemployment rate? Norway - three percent. Social democracy. High taxes, high services - education, unemployment insurance, infrastructure and healthcare. I don't mind paying high taxes if I'm getting something in return. I wish Minnesota would jack up taxes, put more regulations on businesses and give us more services like cheaper college and state universal healthcare. I'm tired of the government bowing down to the behemoth corporations.
What?

Moderator cut: off topic/personal You think Energy is just oil & gas?

The city of Houston's economy is 31% reliant on Energy and 77% of that is Green Energy not Oil & Gas. The city is the 4th largest purchaser of Green Energy in the nation after the STATES of Massachusetts, California, & New York. And Houston is a city.

The city of Houston and the other big Texas cities where 18 million of the 25 million people reside has above average per capita median income, is amongst one of the wealthiest regions in the country. And the region also has lower poverty rates. You think taking into account of the towns and villages which makes up the remaining 7 million people in Texas outside of the Texaplex and showing how high poverty rates there means anything.

And too stupid? Moderator cut: off topic/personal When you conduct the first open heart surgery in thew world, open up a space program for rocket scientists, and develop more cutting edge methods to aeronautics, and hundreds of other things, then you can label an entire state "stupid". Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Moderator cut: off topic/personal Fact is Texas is more relevant than your state, its gaining more economic force than your entire region, which ONLY has double the economic output (GDP) of Texas despite having 3 times more the population (66,000,000), and Texas is a draw for people of different nations. Which is why you see Asians like me, Hispanics, Africans, & Europeans immigrating here.

Moderator cut: off topic/personal

EPA Names City of Houston Largest Municipal Purchaser of Renewable Energy in the U.S. - Houston green economy | Examiner.com

Look things up next time, and get to know a populace of 25 million outside of the 4 million registered Republican voters OUT OF 25 Million people in the state before you shoot off your mouth. Got it?

The state of Texas is home to 25 Million people, but ONLY 8 million registered voters, 3.5 million Democrats, and 4.5 million Republicans. It has one of the lowest populations in the entire nation for registered voters compared to state population overall, and the state is socially progressive, a state next to the border with 37% of it being Hispanic being a complete racist red state? Are you psychologically retarded?

Learn about the places you bash before you do. I and many others am tired of your mindless rants on a basis.

EDIT: And I'm not trying to say the Midwest is irrelevant, because its the furthest thing from that. But seriously man, learn to give credit where its due instead of taking out whatever you have against a place online. The Midwest in general has given the country a lot, from manufacturing to wheat and plantations, those farmers and those innovative people from Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland have given a lot to us, but you make it sound like Texas and Texans in general haven't when they have. And you keep dwindling on GW. Bush, what about the other people from Texas that have made a positive impact? The other things from Texas that have?

I'm from Chicago and I like the Midwest. But seriously credit where its due.

Last edited by DANNYY; 12-28-2010 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Had to add the edit

Old 12-29-2010, 03:05 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Norway = OIL.It's the only reason to a low unemployment rate.And behemoth corporations ? And behemoth unions ? They have so many perks with the taxpayer money, they're the worst !
There are no behemoth unions, and now with Citizens United they're even weaker!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:56 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
What?

Moderator cut: off topic/personal You think Energy is just oil & gas?

The city of Houston's economy is 31% reliant on Energy and 77% of that is Green Energy not Oil & Gas. The city is the 4th largest purchaser of Green Energy in the nation after the STATES of Massachusetts, California, & New York. And Houston is a city.

The city of Houston and the other big Texas cities where 18 million of the 25 million people reside has above average per capita median income, is amongst one of the wealthiest regions in the country. And the region also has lower poverty rates. You think taking into account of the towns and villages which makes up the remaining 7 million people in Texas outside of the Texaplex and showing how high poverty rates there means anything.

And too stupid? Moderator cut: off topic/personal When you conduct the first open heart surgery in thew world, open up a space program for rocket scientists, and develop more cutting edge methods to aeronautics, and hundreds of other things, then you can label an entire state "stupid". Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Moderator cut: off topic/personal Fact is Texas is more relevant than your state, its gaining more economic force than your entire region, which ONLY has double the economic output (GDP) of Texas despite having 3 times more the population (66,000,000), and Texas is a draw for people of different nations. Which is why you see Asians like me, Hispanics, Africans, & Europeans immigrating here.

Moderator cut: off topic/personal

EPA Names City of Houston Largest Municipal Purchaser of Renewable Energy in the U.S. - Houston green economy | Examiner.com

Look things up next time, and get to know a populace of 25 million outside of the 4 million registered Republican voters OUT OF 25 Million people in the state before you shoot off your mouth. Got it?

The state of Texas is home to 25 Million people, but ONLY 8 million registered voters, 3.5 million Democrats, and 4.5 million Republicans. It has one of the lowest populations in the entire nation for registered voters compared to state population overall, and the state is socially progressive, a state next to the border with 37% of it being Hispanic being a complete racist red state? Are you psychologically retarded?

Learn about the places you bash before you do. I and many others am tired of your mindless rants on a basis.

EDIT: And I'm not trying to say the Midwest is irrelevant, because its the furthest thing from that. But seriously man, learn to give credit where its due instead of taking out whatever you have against a place online. The Midwest in general has given the country a lot, from manufacturing to wheat and plantations, those farmers and those innovative people from Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland have given a lot to us, but you make it sound like Texas and Texans in general haven't when they have. And you keep dwindling on GW. Bush, what about the other people from Texas that have made a positive impact? The other things from Texas that have?

I'm from Chicago and I like the Midwest. But seriously credit where its due.
Wow, angry Dannyy

Old 12-29-2010, 05:55 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Wow, angry Dannyy
Yeah I got a bit carried away there, haha. It happens every now and then though where some posts just start getting on my nerves very fast.

But it did make me want to do some additions of my own.

The South:
Georgia: $397 Billion
Alabama: $170 Billion
Florida: $744 Billion
Mississippi: $91 Billion
Louisiana: $222 Billion
Oklahoma: $146 Billion
Tennessee: $252 Billion
Arkansas: $98 Billion
Kentucky: $156 Billion
Texas: $1.22 Trillion
North Carolina: $400 Billion
South Carolina: $156 Billion
Total: $4.052 Trillion

The West:
Idaho: $52 Billion
Colorado: $248 Billion
Wyoming: $35 Billion
Arizona: $248 Billion
New Mexico: $79 Billion
Washington: $322 Billion
Oregon: $161 Billion
California: $1.84 Trillion
Montana: $35 Billion
Utah: $109 Billion
Nevada: $131 Billion
Total: $3.26 Trillion

The Midwest:
Illinois: $633 Billion
Ohio: $471 Billion
Michigan: $382 Billion
Nebraska: $83 Billion
Minnesota: $262 Billion
Kansas: $122 Billion
Missouri: $237 Billion
Indiana: $254 Billion
Wisconsin: $240 Billion
Iowa: $135 Billion
North Dakota: $31 Billion
South Dakota: $36 Billion
Total: $2.886 Trillion

Comparison:
Texas: $1.22 Trillion (24,782,302 Population)
The Midwest: $2.88 Trillion (66,836,916 Population)
Difference: $1.66 Trillion (42,054,614 Population)

So basically Texas X 2 (Two Texas's) = $2.44 Trillion (49,564,604) Practically comes close to nearly matching the entire region of the Midwest. And by 2050, Texas's population is projected to reach 45 Million people. Texas the state has seen an increase in 4.9 Million from 2000 to 2010 in population, the entire region of the Midwest has seen 2.6 Million in an increase in population in the same time period. What does that tell you?

Texas as a state is wealthier than The Midwest as a region. The Houston Metropolitan Area itself is larger than the state of Minnesota by population & economic output (GDP). And also a higher per capita income than Minnesota.
Same with Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, its larger than the state of Minnesota by population & economic output (GDP) and has a higher per capita income also.

I mean for all the trash talk about Texas's poverty level look at where majority of the states population resides and that would happen to be the Texaplex (18 Million people out of 25 Million) and configure the per capita income there. It takes Texas's main population clusters to some of the highest in the nation in median income.

So I don't get why people are out trash talking like no tomorrow.

Lots of scientists, actors and actresses, journalists, doctors, pilots, politicians, business men, and others have come out of Texas. Yes the state has a conservative state government, but the guy I was responding to labels the whole state as "gun toting". I live here, and I have lived in Singapore, Chicago, & India. And Houston as a city is more ethnic friendly than Chicago is.
No one I personally know owns a gun, no one talks about it. No one I know has a any of the things that characterizes them like the way the poster I responded to describes the state as without ever having been.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Yeah I got a bit carried away there, haha. It happens every now and then though where some posts just start getting on my nerves very fast.

The South:

The West:

The Midwest:

Comparison:

So basically Texas X 2 (Two Texas's) = $2.44 Trillion (49,564,604) Practically comes close to nearly matching the entire region of the Midwest. And by 2050, Texas's population is projected to reach 45 Million people. Texas the state has seen an increase in 4.9 Million from 2000 to 2010 in population, the entire region of the Midwest has seen 2.6 Million in an increase in population in the same time period. What does that tell you?

Texas as a state is wealthier than The Midwest as a region. The Houston Metropolitan Area itself is larger than the state of Minnesota by population & economic output (GDP). And also a higher per capita income than Minnesota.
Same with Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, its larger than the state of Minnesota by population & economic output (GDP) and has a higher per capita income also.

I mean for all the trash talk about Texas's poverty level look at where majority of the states population resides and that would happen to be the Texaplex (18 Million people out of 25 Million) and configure the per capita income there. It takes Texas's main population clusters to some of the highest in the nation in median income.

Lots of scientists, actors and actresses, journalists, doctors, pilots, politicians, business men, and others have come out of Texas. Yes the state has a conservative state government, but the guy I was responding to labels the whole state as "gun toting". I live here, and I have lived in Singapore, Chicago, & India. And Houston as a city is more ethnic friendly than Chicago is.
No one I personally know owns a gun, no one talks about it. No one I know has a any of the things that characterizes them like the way the poster I responded to describes the state as without ever having been.
Ahem you forgot the powerful Northeastern GDP.....

Old 12-29-2010, 06:50 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:

The South:

The West:

The Midwest:

Comparison:

You're right Texas is really impressive economically and it's just the beginning.
I have a more accurate comparison :

Comparison:

If Texas had a 66,837,000 population its GDP would be : $3.29 Trillion
3.29 Trillion - 2.88 Trillion = $410 billion (Virginia's GDP)
So yeah, Texas is really rich and developed, and it's just the beginning, this decade the GDP Growth of Texas will be impressive.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
You're right Texas is really impressive economically and it's just the beginning.
I have a more accurate comparison :

Comparison:

If Texas had a 66,837,000 population its GDP would be : $3.29 Trillion
3.29 Trillion - 2.88 Trillion = $410 billion (Virginia's GDP)
So yeah, Texas is really rich and developed, and it's just the beginning, this decade the GDP Growth of Texas will be impressive.
It may be rich , but its just as corrupted as the rest of the country and isn't as Progressive as a whole state as other states are. Yes Dallas , Austin and Houston are progressive , but not the whole state....some rural areas are stuck in the 50s in thinking.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Maybe not so cheap- the Southern automakers are paying better than the northern plants in many instances:

Toyota Motor Corp. gave workers at its largest U.S. plant bonuses of $6,000 to $8,000, boosting the average pay at the Georgetown, KY, plant to the equivalent of $30 an hour. That compares with a $27 hourly average for UAW workers, most of whom did not receive profit-sharing checks last year. Toyota would not provide a U.S. average, but said its 7,000-worker Georgetown plant is representative of its U.S. operations.

General Motors Corp., which lost $10.6 billion in 2005 and didn't issue profit-sharing checks last year, paid its production workers an average of $27 an hour, GM spokesman Daniel Flores said. That would be a base of about $54,000 a year, based on a 2,000-hour work year. The $30 average at Toyota's Georgetown plant, which includes a bonus, equals $60,000 a year.
Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group representatives said GM's base pay figures are similar to theirs. Only Chrysler, which had a 2005 profit, paid a bonus last year. The $650 bonus was not enough to surpass Toyota's pay.

Assembly workers for Detroit automakers remained a bit ahead of Honda's U.S. hourly workers, who made an average $24.25 an hour, or $26.20 with the $4,485 bonus they received. In November, Honda paid bonuses for the 21st consecutive year, the longest streak in U.S. auto history, said Ed Miller, Honda spokesman.
Nissan workers are paid $24 an hour in Mississippi and $26 an hour in Tennessee, but company officials would not disclose employee bonuses.
So, I wonder if those areas are going to go the way of auto plants in the Northeast and Midwest, if pay keeps increasing at the rate it is.

Also, is this the first year that wage surpassed those for UAW plants, copnsidering the issues those companies have had in recent years?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It actually shows the typical lack of understanding of economics exhibited by most Americans."Fleeing" high taxes to go to a lower tax state which sports a high unemployment rate and lack of infrastructure (mass transit/roads/poor schools) isn't particularly intelligent for the most part. Outside of California, the other states mentioned plus NH and VT have low unemployment rates, excellent schools and sufficient infrastructure. The short-sighted Fox News types will always see the benefit of fleeing to a state where taxes are lower, which helps maintain the balance otherwise. I say go for it if you're unhappy and enjoy all of those tax-free perks!
also, people aren't "fleeing". Those states are just growing at a slower rate than others. And when you think about it, NJ is already so densely populated, how can it continue to keep up with the growth that states with much more room (Texas) to grow have?

I love when people take stats to show whatever story they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.