Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,752,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
population has nothing to do with tax rates, it more likely has to do with a specific area of voters who are more liberal, probably transplants, voting democrat.

i want massive growth. why the hell not? lots of jobs, lots to do, lots going on, lots of investment, lots of money. that's what i want; the opportunity to get RICH off of all the investments into new business and new ideas.

and what exactly does obesity have to do with anything? obese people are in the minority and it has nothing to do with anything at all with what we're talking about.
Massive growth is a good thing, I never said it wasn't- But realize where this growth is ORIGINATING from (North --> South)- Where is all your massive influential growth coming from? (The north)

Everyone is acting like the North East never had this kind of tremendous amount of growth... hello, Eliis Island? The Southern black to North East migration?
The North East has been way ahead of the south as far as human development goes.
The south is experiencing regional diversification NOW and TOMORROW. The south boasts massive growth, and the north say's "your welcome"
California is the premier destination for the West Coast. Of course it's going to have high taxes.
Did you just forget that we're all apart of the same country?

-BTW yes, population limits DOES influence more taxes. New Jersey is the most urbanized state centralized between Philly and NYC, being "affordable" would seem too good to be true, don't ya think?

-I brought up obesity rates considering the fact that bucket low tax states all have that high rate in common. Not to sound condescending, but the south obviously has had the least historic experience investing into civilzed human development. This shouldn't be an issue since it's the south's time to shine anyway.

I encourage population growth in the south. I love seeing it progress. I just hate to see people who don't comprehend the balance between the high taxed states and low taxed states- We're all a part of the same country. TX/GA/NC won't have low taxes in 25 years- You know it's true.

Last edited by BPerone201; 01-01-2011 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 04:16 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,339,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Massive growth is a good thing, I never said it wasn't- But realize where this growth is ORIGINATING from (North --> South)- Where is all your massive influential growth coming from? (The north)

Everyone is acting like the North East never had this kind of tremendous amount of growth... hello, Eliis Island? The Southern black to North East migration?
The North East has been way ahead of the south as far as human development goes.
The south is experiencing regional diversification NOW and TOMORROW. The south boasts massive growth, and the north say's "your welcome"
California is the premier destination for the West Coast. Of course it's going to have high taxes.
Did you just forget that we're all apart of the same country?

-BTW yes, population limits DOES influence more taxes. New Jersey is the most urbanized state centralized between Philly and NYC, being "affordable" would seem too good to be true, don't ya think?

-I brought up obesity rates considering the fact that bucket low tax states all have that high rate in common. Not to sound condescending, but the south obviously has had the least historic experience investing into civilzed human development. This shouldn't be an issue since it's the south's time to shine anyway.

I encourage population growth in the south. I love seeing it progress. I just hate to see people who don't comprehend the balance between the high taxed states and low taxed states- We're all a part of the same country. TX/GA/NC won't have low taxes in 25 years- You know it's true.
No it's not true.Texas is the second most populated states, it's developed/modern and it's still a low tax state.
South Korea too : 49 million people in a very small territory and you know what ? It's low-tax too.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,752,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
No it's not true.Texas is the second most populated states, it's developed/modern and it's still a low tax state.
South Korea too : 49 million people in a very small territory and you know what ? It's low-tax too.
South Korea.. You got me. New Jersey is full of Koreans.

I don't know how many ways I can try to explain this.
The progress in High Taxed states are much more historic and experienced. The human development in states like Ct/NJ/NY/Ca etc are far superior as opposed to low taxed states. I don't know why that should bother you, the low taxed states are in the midst of their new found glory.

Low taxed states can boast about their low taxes as much as they please, but don't start praising growth and knocking high taxed states when your PROGRESSIVE growth has everything to do with high taxed states to begin with. It's oxy moron.
We work together as a country. "Fleeing" is not the right term, try "stabilizing"

Last edited by BPerone201; 01-01-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,719,808 times
Quote:
name a republican whose been on more vacations in 2 years than obama. liberals dogged bush for how much he golfed when he first became president, yet obama's done it multiple times more than bush in 1/4 the time.
Nope, Bush Jr. took more time off than any other president in recent history.

President Obama’s Vacation Days | FactCheck.org

Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,892,436 times
Quote:
name a republican whose been on more vacations in 2 years than obama. liberals dogged bush for how much he golfed when he first became president, yet obama's done it multiple times more than bush in 1/4 the time.
So Obama has GOLFED more than Bush? Wow....
The name of this thread should be "Fox News Talking Points and the People Who Love Them"

Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,380,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Nope, Bush Jr. took more time off than any other president in recent history.

President Obama’s Vacation Days | FactCheck.org
Just asking... do Presidents really ever get a day off?

Unless the VP is in charge as when the President is incapacitated... doesn't matter where he is... he is the President.

Second Question... does being at home with secret service and the mobile command center qualify as vacation?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,892,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just asking... do Presidents really ever get a day off?
Unless the VP is in charge as when the President is incapacitated... doesn't matter where he is... he is the President.
Second Question... does being at home with secret service and the mobile command center qualify as vacation?
Not really! In the armed forces we had our normal 8-hour job assignments but were told "you're on duty 24-7". I'm sure it's the same for the President on down.
I think the presidential "vacations" are breaks from paperwork, meetings, and as much as possible, concerns (for the sake of sanity). I think we can surmise that some are in name only - possibly secret sessions! Lots of possibilities.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 PM

514 posts, read 761,869 times
Default dream on

[quote=RenaudFR;17200273]Great and non-partisan post

To be honest people I don't hate these states.I'd love to work in New York City after my studies (I want to work as Export Sales Manager) if I find a job there.For a rural french guy like me it's certainly a great experience to work in this extraordinary city, just some years because unfortunately the housing is too expensive and taxes too high, compared to Houston or Miami (I don't really care about the cold weather of NYC, it's the same here in this part of France lol)
But to create my own business after, I couldn't go to California,NY or NJ.These states have their qualities and good amenities I can't deny that, but their economic policies are too anti-business, really.
------------------------------------------

The best states for business in 2010 :
  • 1. Texas (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37875470 - broken link)
  • 2. Virginia (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37875509 - broken link)
  • 3. Colorado (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37516580 - broken link)
  • 4. North Carolina (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37874438 - broken link)
  • 5. Massachusetts (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37516963 - broken link)

News Headlines

You can't hate the business world, they create jobs where they can gain more dollars, mostly in pro-business states (Massachussets is the exception, but their workforce is so educated, no doubt a great place for high-end products).
------------
Look at the Fortune 500 companies in 2010 : 57 are in Texas, the largest of the US with California ! In 2000 Texas was behind California and New York, now Texas is first ! It's just obvious, the economic achievements of Texas are incredible ! No wonder Texas is become recession-proof and so good economy ! [/QUOTE

Export sales manager in NYC? You're a French country bumpkin aspiring translator for heaven's sake!

Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,339,517 times
Look at what Illinois has done, that's horrible :
Illinois House Passes Big Income-Tax Increase - WSJ.com

The Illinois House passed a massive income-tax increase Tuesday to help the state dig out of a $13 billion deficit, despite opposition from Republicans and business groups.
The measure passed by a vote of 60-57. The state Senate approved the measure early Wednesday morning. A new legislature, with narrower Democratic majorities in both houses, will be sworn in at noon Wednesday.
Among the increases in the bill, the individual income-tax rate would jump to 5% from 3%. That would cost a family of three making $60,000 about $1,080 more each year in income taxes, according to figures from the Illinois Policy Institute, a nonpartisan free-market think tank. The corporate tax would rise to 7% from 4.8%.

More taxpayers and business will leave Illinois this decade.Texas,Florida, Indiana and Wisconsin are happy

Old 01-13-2011, 10:20 PM

9,484 posts, read 16,372,680 times
I find some of the southern states seem to be very high tax states. Yet there is little mention of it and its always considered the Northeast states are the high tax ones. Look at NC for one, that state has alot of varied taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.