Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 PM

726 posts, read 2,140,074 times

Advertisements

Are you talking sales tax on vehicles sold, annual registration or an annual tax on vehicles in addition to the other 2? When I lived in NY we would pay the high sales tax when we bought a vehicle but then after that it was registration and annual inspections. In Colorado our sales tax is lower but our registration fees are higher but we don't have the inspection. Colorado does require emmissions testing but you can curtail it by driving by the mobil inspectors who can test the vehicle while it's moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 AM

92,032 posts, read 122,173,887 times
It's about the annual tax.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
Texas does not have it.

North Carolina does.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:41 PM

427 posts, read 1,219,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Are you talking sales tax on vehicles sold, annual registration or an annual tax on vehicles in addition to the other 2? When I lived in NY we would pay the high sales tax when we bought a vehicle but then after that it was registration and annual inspections. In Colorado our sales tax is lower but our registration fees are higher but we don't have the inspection. Colorado does require emmissions testing but you can curtail it by driving by the mobil inspectors who can test the vehicle while it's moving.
I'm referring to an annual tax on vehicles in addition to the other two you mentioned. I'm talking about the "property tax" on your vehicle or in some places they refer to it as "excise tax" or "ad valorem" i believe. Basically if someone doesn't know what I'm talking about then they very likely live in a place that doesn't levy this tax annually and that should be a good thing for them. For those of you that have never lived in a place that has an annual property tax on your vehicles this is a tax bill that you get from your local county or municipality each year that basically demands that you pay a % of your cars worth to the appropriate government agency. This is in addition to sales tax that you pay on your car when you buy it, and registration, inspection and emission fees that you pay as well at the appropriate times. I'm sure it's a bit different in each place but how it works for me personally is i have to pay a few hundred dollars on average each year to my local county just for "owning" my car. This is in addition to whatever sales tax i paid for the purchase, and the registration fees, inspection fees and emission fees. It's the same as paying property tax on your house or land except it's on your car. I guess it begs the question, even if you have your car paid in full, who really owns it since you still have to pay taxes on it years after it's paid off. My car has been paid off for 4 years now but i don't feel like i own it. I'm sure there is some fine print or law on the books where if you don't pay your annual property tax on it, then the state can seize it and auction it off. Even if i decided to stop driving and just let the car sit in my garage and not register it or get new plates when i was supposed to, i would still get the property tax bill for it each year. I read something a couple of weeks ago where some states are trying to get it to where people have to register their bicycles and get license plates and insurance for them and pay taxes on them. I'm guessing that pretty soon there will be toll booths on the sidewalks for pedestrians too.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,871 times
Default property tax on cars

Florida does not charge an annual property tax on vehicles

Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM

140 posts, read 252,932 times
Unhappy Vehicle property tax in north carolina

I just moved from California where you do NOT pay property tax on vehicles, to North Carolina, where property tax was added beginning November 2013. I had to pay the county I live in and also the town I live in, Holly Springs. I paid $123 for a 2011 Kia Soul. The 3% "highway tax", which is payable only once, when you first register your vehicle in NC, was $350! I don't know how people can afford to have $40,000 cars here! YIKES! This is scary CRAP, folks! What are they going to tax next??? What is left? Our Nikes?????

Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,637,454 times
Texas, California, Florida, and New York do NOT impose a personal property tax on vehicles whereas Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, North Carolina, Georgia, and Arizona do.

Arizona calls "vehicle license tax;" Rhode Island calls it an "excise tax;" and Georgia calls it an "ad valorem tax."

Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,885,386 times
Illinois does not have a vehicle property tax

Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
We definitely have it here is Missouri. It sucks but Georgia had Ad Valorem which is the same but different, they both suck.

One thing I found weird when I moved to Mo is the fact that you have to pay all of the sales tax at once when you buy a vehicle. Every other state I've lived in rolled the sales tax into the financing. The first vehicle I bought here was a brand new Tahoe so when I had to pony up over $3000 to the tag office in order to get plates, I was surprised to say the least.
A friend of mine in Missouri once did that and didn't have the money for the tax, so he drove it for over a year with no plates, just the dealer's little advertisement in the plate holder. He was never stopped. He was even in an accident, and the officer just wrote "no plate" in the space for license number on the accident report. Even then he was never ticketed (nor queried) for not having a plate.

Sometimes, people take the law way too seriously.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,233 times
New jersey doesnt have personal property on vehicles either! I moved from nj to missouri and found out the hard way. Missouri does have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.