U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 04:37 PM

11 posts, read 40,712 times

Advertisements

I am mid 40's guy from Arizona looking for a change. I am not flamboyant about my sexuality, but I want options for me. Things that are of importance to me are:
Changeable weather
Low cost of living
Low crime rate
Arts and Culture
Diversity
Which city would be better for me Tulsa or Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 07:22 AM

21,241 posts, read 30,495,025 times
I'd have to give the edge to Omaha as a fellow gay male. It's far less conservative IMO than Tulsa and has more an urban feel in terms of art/culture/diversity. Plus its unemployment rate is stunningly low. Omaha also has some interesting cool neighborhoods as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_...maha,_Nebraska)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Mar...maha,_Nebraska)
Little Bohemia (Omaha, Nebraska) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Sheelytown (Omaha) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dundee and Benson neighborhoods have the highest concentration of gay residents.

Dundee-Happy Hollow Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Benson neighborhood (Omaha, Nebraska) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,252,331 times
Both are excellent cities. I don't think that you could go wrong with either. The only thing that I might not like about Omaha is the cold Winters. I'm not gay though, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:07 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,168,264 times
I am gay and had a gay friend from OK and said that the entire state is incredibly gay un-friendly. This leads me to believe that Omaha would be better.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:20 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,336,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am gay and had a gay friend from OK and said that the entire state is incredibly gay un-friendly. This leads me to believe that Omaha would be better.
Oklahoma is the reddest state, very christian, redneck. So no surprise. I'm not gay either, but to consider a move to Oklahoma sounds very bad. It could be dangerous.
Actually, I wonder why a gay would want to move to either of the two cities.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:24 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,957,856 times
Neither state is known for either culture or its GLBT population. Since you’re considering cold states, you might think about Iowa (with gay marriage) or Minnesota (the Twin Cities have a huge arts scene and are very GLBT friendly).

Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM

102 posts, read 158,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Neither state is known for either culture or its GLBT population. Since you’re considering cold states, you might think about Iowa (with gay marriage) or Minnesota (the Twin Cities have a huge arts scene and are very GLBT friendly).
OK, don't listen to this ^^^ guy/gal, as apparently he/she has been to neither Tulsa nor Omaha. You will be just fine in either of the two cities, trust me, the mob won't be sent to get you.

Omaha is plenty gay friendly, I've never heard of a "gay" being harassed or anything like that. They have plenty of gay-oriented bars and clubs, as well as being welcome anywhere else in the city like a normal freakin' human being.

And tpk-nyc, you do realize that midwesterner/great plains white folks do have a cultural identity of their own, right? Just because its not black or asian or whatever doesn't mean its culture-less.

Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 12-29-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,957,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobSnakePants View Post
OK, don't listen to this ^^^ guy/gal, as apparently he/she has been to neither Tulsa nor Omaha. You will be just fine in either of the two cities, trust me, the mob won't be sent to get you.

Omaha is plenty gay friendly, I've never heard of a "gay" being harassed or anything like that. They have plenty of gay-oriented bars and clubs, as well as being welcome anywhere else in the city like a normal freakin' human being.

And tpk-nyc, you do realize that midwesterner/great plains white folks do have a cultural identity of their own, right? Just because its not black or asian or whatever doesn't mean its culture-less.

Congrats on being the owner of the most ignorant statement of the day.
The original question was about “Arts and Culture,” which usually means “high culture,” i.e., orchestras, theaters, museums, etc. Every place has a “local culture” or "cultural identity," but that’s not what the OP was asking about. At least not in my reading of the question.

I’m a gay man who lived in the Midwest for five years. I didn’t suggest Manhattan or San Francisco. I purposefully suggested other Midwestern states.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 PM

102 posts, read 158,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The original question was about “Arts and Culture,” which usually means “high culture,” i.e., orchestras, theaters, museums, etc. Every place has a “local culture” or "cultural identity," but that’s not what the OP was asking about. At least not in my reading of the question.

I’m a gay man who lived in the Midwest for five years. I didn’t suggest Manhattan or San Francisco. I purposefully suggested other Midwestern states.
Well, having been from the Midwest, I would think you would be aware that both Tulsa and Omaha have some excellent entertainment venues, diverse variety of restaurants and some great museums, well beyond that of many other cities comparable in size.

Seems as though he had it narrowed down to either of the two which, imo, aren't exactly bad choices for a liberal leaning person considering the surrounding political climates.

Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 12-29-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 05:06 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,336,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobSnakePants View Post
Well, having been from the Midwest, I would think you would be aware that both Tulsa and Omaha have some excellent entertainment venues, diverse variety of restaurants and some great museums, well beyond that of many other cities comparable in size.

Seems as though he had it narrowed down to either of the two which, imo, aren't exactly bad choices for a liberal leaning person considering the surrounding political climates.

So my point stands, I feel that your comment was pretty baseless, but sorry for being a dick about it.
What's the 'culture' like? Contests for shooting Bud Light cans off a fence post?
Aren't Tulsa and Omaha both very conservative and christian? With a 'culture' to match?
I think the OP's head must be screwy for considering either one of the choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or