U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,169,813 times
Reputation: 7598

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
And at what point do they just become regular Americans like everyone else? What will it take for that to happen? Or are they always just going to be "Hispanics"

Given the propensity of Anglo Americans to marry Hispanic Americans more than any other racial/ethnic combination, their children to pretty much shed almost all traces of their Hispanic ancestry. I don't think it's going to be as bad as most people say. Hell, one of my childhood friends (a Mexican girl) just had a kid with an Irish-Italian dude and its pretty likely that the kid isn't going to be hearing that much Spanish in his household.

Marrying Out - Pew Research Center

41% of ALL interracial marriages are between Hispanics and Whites. How many of those kids of those marriages will be as paisa as the dude jumping over the border?

As generations move on, the Hispanic birth rate decreases to the American average. That's how it works. Things don't remain constant forever.
http://www.ppic.org/main/publication.asp?i=206
they were already Americans until the government carved them out.

I think the hispanics are partly responsible for that too..

I don't think they stood out much before they were categories. Now that they are counted as a separate category the are so much more recognized.
Double edge sward.

If hispanic is a just an ethnic group and not a race then, either they are counted as american or hispanic.

so don't ask me when will they be regular americans. That is up to them.
They will be regular americans when they feel like it.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,579,784 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Latinos are conservative, everybody know that.But Republicans have been stupid and sounded racists, it's pretty normal for them to vote Democrat !
Republicans must attract them if they want a political future...Some good steps have been realised in November :
-2 hispanic republicans elected in heavily hispanic districts in South Texas (pretty incredible,I didn't think they could..)
-The first hispanic governor in Nevada (Brian Sandoval) is a republican, not a democrat, certainly a good thing for the GOP brand
-The first latina governor in the USA in New Mexico (Susana Martinez)
-Marco Rubio, republican from Florida, obtained 55% of the hispanic vote in a three-way race, and he could become the first latino president of the USA, many bet on him.
One of the problems that you fail to address is the fact that most of these "hispanics" (you really should say mestizo or Indian, as that is what most of them truly are. Less than five percent are white or black) are illegal, and so they shouldn't be here in the first place. They broke the law, or their parents broke the law. People speaking out against breaking the law, as that is what illegal immigration is, isn't an advocation of racism, and if hispanics are offended, then perhaps they should stop making themselves be singled out, and stop breaking the law, as the overwhelming majority of illegals are "hispanic".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
3,391 posts, read 4,241,818 times
Reputation: 2024
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
conservatives already hate everyone, even themselves

It is already inevitable. the hispanic population is gonna increase from percentages in the teens a few decades back to over 50% in a few decades to come
I was with you, until THIS. I do not hate myself and believe in my principles.

This is true. The hispanic population will increase exponentially because the birth rate for that demographic is out of this world.

Do you think that is good or bad?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM
 
56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
they were already Americans until the government carved them out.

I think the hispanics are partly responsible for that too..

I don't think they stood out much before they were categories. Now that they are counted as a separate category the are so much more recognized.
Double edge sward.

If hispanic is a just an ethnic group and not a race then, either they are counted as american or hispanic.

so don't ask me when will they be regular americans. That is up to them.
They will be regular americans when they feel like it.
Technically, "Hispanic" is an ethnicity, because you can be of any race and be Hispanic.

On another note, did I actually hear that Vietnamese tend to vote Republican? I thought that was interesting, if that's what I heard.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 PM
 
56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
One of the problems that you fail to address is the fact that most of these "hispanics" (you really should say mestizo or Indian, as that is what most of them truly are. Less than five percent are white or black) are illegal, and so they shouldn't be here in the first place. They broke the law, or their parents broke the law. People speaking out against breaking the law, as that is what illegal immigration is, isn't an advocation of racism, and if hispanics are offended, then perhaps they should stop making themselves be singled out, and stop breaking the law, as the overwhelming majority of illegals are "hispanic".
What people forget though is that this isn't somethingnew and personally, I just think the Hispanic illegal immigrant card was convienient considering the economic issues the country has been facing. So, businesses have a lot to do with the situation as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,169,813 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Technically, "Hispanic" is an ethnicity, because you can be of any race and be Hispanic.

On another note, did I actually hear that Vietnamese tend to vote Republican? I thought that was interesting, if that's what I heard.
That is what I said, it is an ethnicity not a race. But if they were born here, they live like regular people, they fit in like regular people, it is only them and the government trying to make them different...

He asked when will they be just americans, they will be when they want to be
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,804,722 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Latinos are conservative, everybody know that.But Republicans have been stupid and sounded racists, it's pretty normal for them to vote Democrat !
Republicans must attract them if they want a political future...Some good steps have been realised in November :
-2 hispanic republicans elected in heavily hispanic districts in South Texas (pretty incredible,I didn't think they could..)
-The first hispanic governor in Nevada (Brian Sandoval) is a republican, not a democrat, certainly a good thing for the GOP brand
-The first latina governor in the USA in New Mexico (Susana Martinez)
-Marco Rubio, republican from Florida, obtained 55% of the hispanic vote in a three-way race, and he could become the first latino president of the USA, many bet on him.
He got 55% of the hispanic vote because he's Cuban and Cubans voted in droves for him. Cuban Americans are different from other latin voters. Don't count on his future widespread appeal outside of the Cuban community because, frankly, Cubans don't face the same immigration issues as other immigrants. Simply put, they have special immigration rights that the others don't have.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
166 posts, read 538,160 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
He got 55% of the hispanic vote because he's Cuban and Cubans voted in droves for him. Cuban Americans are different from other latin voters. Don't count on his future widespread appeal outside of the Cuban community because, frankly, Cubans don't face the same immigration issues as other immigrants. Simply put, they have special immigration rights that the others don't have.
If it's worth anything, I'm Puerto Rican and had a fairly diverse group of Hispanics I grew up around (i.e. Puerto Rican, Cuban, Mexican, Dominican, etc.). I always feel that a lot of non-Cuban Latinos feel that Cubans get a lot of preferrential treatment from the government, especially with the "Wet Foot, Dry Foot" policy.

When the whole Elian Gonzalez thing went down about 10 years ago, every Hispanic who wasn't Cuban thought his butt should have been sent back. Every Cuban felt that the kid had a right to stay rather than live under communism.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,050,455 times
Reputation: 1236
On a side note, Blacks are most definitely socially conservative, but they vote democrat. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,050,455 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
He got 55% of the hispanic vote because he's Cuban and Cubans voted in droves for him. Cuban Americans are different from other latin voters. Don't count on his future widespread appeal outside of the Cuban community because, frankly, Cubans don't face the same immigration issues as other immigrants. Simply put, they have special immigration rights that the others don't have.
I've actually noticed that. Hispanics will be the demographic group to watch in the future. Both parties need to figure out a clear strategy to win their vote. A key to doing this is to not group all Hispanics together.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top