U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpmoj View Post
We've been looking at places with a population that's anywhere from 8,000-100,000. We're not certain of the location - just a place that's scenic, not the desert, and not a lot of snow. We've been looking mainly in the southeast and northeast, but we're willing to check out other parts of the U.S.
100,000 is a small town???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM

97 posts, read 376,660 times
Some of these towns may be too big, or might not have the right vibe, but will still be considered small relative to Tampa, and will have a lot of that small town feel.

Boulder, CO
Fort Collins, CO
Charlottesville, Va
Columbia, MO
Athens, GA
Burlington, VT (heavy snow, though)
Eugene, OR
Corvallis, OR
Flagstaff, AZ (some small colleges, close to desert, but not)
Logan, UT
Morgantown, WV
Portland, Maine (again, gets cold!)
Durham, NC
Ames, IA

You said you were predominantly looking at the east, but if I had to pick two places for what it "sounds" like you're looking for, I'd start with Fort Collins, Colorado (great, fun little town, close enough to Denver but also far enough away) and Corvallis/Eugene, OR (can't speak to which is better but think both are cool little progressive college towns).

Don't know what the rules are on links, but check out this site:

http://www.aier.org/aier/otherpublications/CDI.pdf

Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM

6,886 posts, read 6,209,806 times
Oxford, MS is the best example of what you are looking for in the South.

Athens, Ga would be my second choice only because Oxford is a bit smaller and homier.

Clemson, SC doesn't have the charm or the proximity to a larger city (Oxford to Memphis and Athens to Atlanta) but it also fits your criteria. Blacksburg and Charlottesville Va are nice as well although Charlottesville has traffic issues even if it is a small town.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:34 PM

1,244 posts, read 2,523,383 times
Amherst MA.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 PM

13 posts, read 15,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
Some of these towns may be too big, or might not have the right vibe, but will still be considered small relative to Tampa, and will have a lot of that small town feel.

Boulder, CO
Fort Collins, CO
Charlottesville, Va
Columbia, MO
Athens, GA
Burlington, VT (heavy snow, though)
Eugene, OR
Corvallis, OR
Flagstaff, AZ (some small colleges, close to desert, but not)
Logan, UT
Morgantown, WV
Portland, Maine (again, gets cold!)
Durham, NC
Ames, IA

You said you were predominantly looking at the east, but if I had to pick two places for what it "sounds" like you're looking for, I'd start with Fort Collins, Colorado (great, fun little town, close enough to Denver but also far enough away) and Corvallis/Eugene, OR (can't speak to which is better but think both are cool little progressive college towns).

Don't know what the rules are on links, but check out this site:

http://www.aier.org/aier/otherpublications/CDI.pdf

Burlington, VT and Portland, ME were actually at the top of my list. They don't fit all the criteria we're looking for, but I love them. After spending a couple of years in Montana, my husband refuses to live in a place where he has to deal with heavy snow. I'll keep trying to convince him, but in the meantime I'll look into your list. I see a lot of great ideas on here.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
100,000 is a small town???
LOL you're completely right! I don't know what I was thinking when I said 100,000. We recently visited Athens, GA though and it has a population around 85,000. It still had a small-town feel, but I would bring those numbers down from what I originally posted. It looks like anything under 40,000 would be our ideal. We're still searching.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:57 PM

33,929 posts, read 42,196,076 times
Why do people looking for a "small" town always list a college nearby as a requirement?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why do people looking for a "small" town always list a college nearby as a requirement?
I have my Master's in Higher Education Administration. Kinda need a college in order to get a job. I'm sure there are others out there who prefer to live in a small town, but need to go to school or work at a university. Plus, the culture that a university can bring is important to a lot of people. Some people enjoy being near college sports, the arts, etc...

Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM

33,929 posts, read 42,196,076 times
Ok, just curious. Although "culture" at most small town colleges means to miss your shoes while throwing up after your 42nd beer.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:20 PM

3,263 posts, read 4,676,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpmoj View Post
LOL you're completely right! I don't know what I was thinking when I said 100,000. We recently visited Athens, GA though and it has a population around 85,000. It still had a small-town feel, but I would bring those numbers down from what I originally posted. It looks like anything under 40,000 would be our ideal. We're still searching.
Athens isn't remotely a small town. The metro has a population of 200,000.

Like I said earlier, look into Greensboro and Madison, GA, if UGA is a possibility.

Those are actual small towns with populations under 5,000, they are each a half hour drive from Athens, they each have great historic downtowns (especially Madison's), and they are each a five or ten minute drive from Lake Oconee, one of Georgia's largest lakes. The surrounding area is rolling farms and a national forest. Madison is definitely the wealthier of the two due to tourism from Atlanta, but both are really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or